Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: General method to remove whitelist from Insyde BIOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
It will help us all out if you make seperate threads for your requests. Tthis way I can subscribe to new replies and help you all out.

Thanks,
TheWiz
(08-12-2010, 05:14 AM)raptor2 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Many thanks for this guide. It’s cool. I tried this method on my HP 2530p (bios 68PSU) and unfortunately I need more help. I have un2420 3g modem. When I install it in my laptop and I start it I get “105 - Unsupported WWAN Device Detected System Halted. Remove device and restart.” error.

I tried to remove each of this module and after saving the bios and flashing from the USB stick I got error “Error in file content read from disk. Please try recreating file or disk.” and the bios can’t be flashed. I use erompaq 3.0F.

I suppose that after making the modification in the bios the checksum is wrong. That’s why I’m getting error during the flashing. Do you have any idea what elso I can try and how to correct the checksum?

Raptor2

You need a patched EROMPAQ for DOS flashing or a patched HQPFLASH for Windows.
I can provide both is somebody is interested.

(08-30-2010, 02:05 PM)MrYrral1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi I used this method on a hp compaq a900 with f.34 bios and broadcom dual band wireless card and everything worked perfectly. I followed the instructions exactly and used the exact recommended programs to edit the bios. thank you for this excellent tutorial. larry j

Hi MrYrral1,
I also have a Compaq A900 (A976tu) with f.34 bios.
The original is Intel 3945ABG and I want to upgrade to Atheros AR9280 (802.11N).
Would you mind to share you modded bios (whitelist removed) to me?
Many thanks.
Tongue
Hspumanti's guide is really awesome, but I ran into some issues and had to imrovise. I figured I'd post what I did to get it working on my bios.
HP DV7-1273cl

Okies... To preface this: I'm not in any way a programmer.. I did my best to understand this process to the best of my ability. Undoubtedly I'm probably off a bit in my thinking... but wtf I hacked my bios and that's like... as l337 as it gets...

So here's how I got this baby working..

I started off by downloading my bios from HP's site.. It downloaded as a single executable file that could only be ran. I extracted the executable using winrar and was presented w/ this.
[attachment=1303]

Inside were 3 .FD files, from which I could conclude that the first was in fact NOT my bios because my laptop is the 30F4 model. I decided to take a gander inside the platform.ini and see if there was anything inside that could give me a clue as to which of the two that remained was the correct bios.
[attachment=1304]

Right away I noted that the [FDFile] string listed the F260 as the filename to use. Ultimately that was good enough for me. Also worth noting if you add any text to the BackupName section it will create a backup of the current ROM inside of your bios before patching it with the new one. This is useful if you have to use the recovery method that I had to use, I'll talk about that at the end of this tutorial.

Now that I acquired the bios I needed, I decided to follow hspumanti's guide. I started up EzH20.exe and did a File - Load File - and selected my bios '30F4F260.FD' if successful you should get 'Program Load file finished' at the bottom left of the EZH20 window.

We are now going to use WinHex to edit the EZH20.exe Processes' RAM, which is just badass btw... I had to purchase the full version of Winhex in order to actually edit the RAM, but the free version will display all the information you need so you can at least see that the hack is possible before you buy.

Start up WinHex, goto Tools - Open RAM, select Ezh2o expand it and select Entire Memory. So we need to find the section of RAM that has our BIOS whitelist. You might as well get used to the Hex Value search(keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + Alt + X) because you will use it frequently. You can find the whitelist by hspumanti's method: hex string «31 00 30 00 34 00 2d 00 55» or by searching for your original wifi cards device id.

My original card was the Intel 5100 PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_12118086&REV_00
Which after taking out the strings of text becomes: 8086 4237 1211 8086
the assembler parses the device differently, it basically swaps the byte order of each section and flips the last 2. End result should look like this:

I searched for the hex : 8680374286801112
[attachment=1305]

and was placed right at the 104 error.(I'm quite sure that if you replaced the hex of your original card at this location w/ whatever your new card devid's are, you would successfully patch your whitelist, but I also believe patching it entirely makes more sense.) From there I scrolled up around 3 pages or so to find the start of the program, the MZ.. (4D5A). I then proceeded to look for bytes «55 8b ec» so I could debug the whitelist the way hspumanti described. Unfortunately I could not locate the bytes mentioned and I have windows 7 which does not have debug.exe. I tried a couple of things on my XP machine but got weird 'Cannot Find File' errors with the com I created.

So I decided I would try to use the debugging image hspumanti posted to see if I could get anything from that.
[attachment=1306]

He did a good job explaining what was going on in this check wireless routine.
1823:02E6 is an infinite loop that jumps to itself so we need to make sure that the program does not get to this point.
1823:02BF This JNZ is a conditional statement which will determine if check wireless routine needs to be ran, but we want to change the condition to never run. The bytes store in 02BF are 7527 if we change the 75 to EB it will change the JNZ condition to a JMP, therefore always skipping the wireless check routine no matter what card is in.

So we just need to find the 75 that has to be modded to EB... Since I couldn't debug my own code I started looking for similar bytes in his. The preceeding bytes of 75 in his example was 84C0 so I decidied I would check the Whole whitelist MZ for bytes 84C075

I highlighted from the start of the MZ to the beginning of the next MZ(around 4 pages total), and searched for hex 84C075 while checking the 'Search in block only' box so it only searches w/in my highlight.
[attachment=1307]

Victory! now of course this proved nothing, but I was very doubtful that this kind of a byte coincidence could happen in such a small section of code.
(Oops looks like I can't attach more than 5 pics.. guess you'll have to use your imagination).

Anyway... I made the change, clicked the disk icon, switched over to EZh20 did a File - Save As - named it the same as the original and saved it onto my desktop. I then moved the 3 .FD files into a different folder and moved the modified .FD in their place. I tried running InsydeFlashx64(Windows 7 64 bit on my machine) but it would not prompt for a flash. I figured it was because I was attempting to flash to the same bios version F.26 so I deleted the platform.ini file and tried again. It auto flashed my bios w/o prompting me so be sure that every thing is correct before you do this.

The flash was successful and ever since I have not seen that stupid 104 bullshit.

WOW, that was long, lemme know if the guide helps anyone! =)

I've got work now, so i'll edit the post later with the recovery method.
Grammar is not my forte, lemme know if something is tough to understand.

-eliquel

Hi all, I have an HP 6735s with F.0E firmware version of BIOS, this isn't a phoenix BIOS, but is an Insyde bios 2MB. Now, how I can remove the whitelist? I have a Broadcom ag and I want to replace it with an Intel wifi link 5100 Model: 512AN_MMW.
The BIOS can be found here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Tec...sp?lang=it&cc=it&prodNameId=3687622&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3687621&swLang=24&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4059
Kindest regards and thanks in advance.

EDIT: EZh2o v2.1.0.13 show me that HP 6735s hasn't an insyde BIOS Huh. How this is possible? The flash program with HP 6735s BIOS is HPQFlash.exe v4.30.6.1.
OK so I need to whitelist hack my bios and I need to know how...

I have an HP DV7-4083cl that has an insyde bios, the bios executable is 4 MB...

I am Presented with this, when i extract the EXE From HP:

[Image: bios.jpg]

I really need some help with this!
(11-25-2010, 01:06 PM)zman21295 Wrote: [ -> ]OK so I need to whitelist hack my bios and I need to know how...

first of all this bios cannot be open or decompose by usual tools (it is HP compressed).
The only method that worksis to dump the actual bios with davidxxw "Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit" (search with google) and once backup-ed, upload it on a repository, then i can patch it.

regards
(11-25-2010, 04:21 PM)TTAV134 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2010, 01:06 PM)zman21295 Wrote: [ -> ]OK so I need to whitelist hack my bios and I need to know how...

first of all this bios cannot be open or decompose by usual tools (it is HP compressed).
The only method that worksis to dump the actual bios with davidxxw "Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit" (search with google) and once backup-ed, upload it on a repository, then i can patch it.

regards

Thank you! This is what I got:

http://www.entouchgraphics.com/Hewlett-Packard-F.13.rom

Hope you can fix it!
Quote:I have an HP DV7-4083cl that has an insyde bios, the bios executable is 4 MB...

Hope you can fix it!

before flashing the mod it's better to prepare a recovery solution
edit platform.ini in BackupROM section change Flag value from 0 to 1, save change.

[BackupROM]
Flag=1

then execute InsydeFlash.exe, you will have 2 files, copy them on a USB stick.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hj9lul
(12-01-2010, 10:20 AM)TTAV134 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I have an HP DV7-4083cl that has an insyde bios, the bios executable is 4 MB...

Hope you can fix it!

before flashing the mod it's better to prepare a recovery solution
edit platform.ini in BackupROM section change Flag value from 0 to 1, save change.

[BackupROM]
Flag=1

then execute InsydeFlash.exe, you will have 2 files, copy them on a USB stick.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hj9lul

Mod mirror in case link dies : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747181/HP%20DV7-...448F13.zip

Regards
Admin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26