Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Moding H20 Insyde bios for Gateway ID49c
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

First let me say that when I found this sight yesterday, I couldn't believe my eyes. I had no idea there was such an awesome bios modding community out there. I guess I never really went into the bios for any of my laptops, but after trying to get OSX running on my laptop, I realized how artificially limited they're made to be. As I've been researching the problem(optimus and acpi related) I stumbled on to the site and was stocked these kind of mods are even possible. Anyway, as I mentioned, Snow Leopard requires very specific power management and graphic settings to work properly. The optimus on the fly gpu switching needs to be disabled for the install to work properly(and a few other small things in the power management). Unfortunately the BIOS options available to me are almost nil on this laptop. Very frustrating, but some researching led me to find a very similar laptop(Sony Vaio Z11) being bios hacked to reveal a whole set of hidden options.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/473...-bios.html

This made me think the same might be possiblesince they have a very similar hw spec and bios type. Unfortunately I'm totally out of my element at this technical level. Would it be possible for someone here to take a look at it for me?

Here's the latest bios released for it of the gateway canada site.
http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFil...6629227146&Step1=Notebooks&Step2=ID%20Series&Step3=ID49C&OS=722&LC=en&BC=Gateway&SC=PA_4G

Regardless if you can help, really cool site Smile

Thanks,
Nick

Is this the wrong thread to post this type of request? Should I repost somewhere else?

Thanks,
Nick
Insyde bioses cannot currently be unlocked for hidden options!

Sorry
Admin
(09-24-2010, 12:53 AM)1234s282 Wrote: [ -> ]Insyde bioses cannot currently be unlocked for hidden options!

Sorry
Admin

Bummer. Thanks for the reply!

nick
Ncarota,

actually the research being done on the thread provided seems very extensive and it looks like the person who published it has spend time with disassembled Insyde BIOSes. I'm going to read up on this proccess and see if we can apply it to your system.

Thanks for the w00ts to the site,
TheWiz
A possible workaround. Try DIY ViDock Setup 1.x. Disable the discrete graphics (setpci -s 0:0.0 54.l=0:2) then chainload your OS. Then the DSDT table section that relates to the dedicated graphics will never be engaged.