Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: DFI LANPARTY DK 790FXB-M2RSH: Phenom II Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, and thank you for all your hard work!

I have an AM2+ motherboard which I'd like upgraded to support the new Phenom II X4 970.

Motherboard: DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH
Latest BIOS: http://img.lanparty.tw/Upload/BIOS/CM/R7SDA08.zip
Latest CPU Supported: Phenom II X4 965 C3 AM3

Considering the 970 is essentially the same silicon as the 965, save for a 100mhz increase in speed, I feel this CPU should be compatible with this board via a (relatively) simple update of the microcode.

I searched to the best of my ability but was unable to find another 790FX AM2+ board that already had a microcode upgrade to use as a donor.

Do you think you can do this?

Much appreciated!

*Note: I read and posted in a related thread regarding hexa-core support for this board, but for some reason my post didn't actually show up.
to be honest , im finding it difficult to find any board that takes the X4 970 - using gigabytes CPU support finder yielded no Gigabyte boards that can take the X4 970 , even though the boards could take up to an X4 965 and the X6's :S

Il keep looking - the bios has to be award to match your boards bios so i can update the microcode

Admin
Ive just realised that i may not need a donor board for this - you had the old v3.1.8.0 AGESA which ive updated to v3.7.0.0 and 26kb of microcode. The biggest AMD "Universal" Microcode that we have taken from other bioses is 28kb , meaning theres only 1 microcodes worth of difference between the 2.

Heres the bios you linked to with AGESA v3.7.0.0 and the full 28kb AMD Microcode - give it a go! Big Grin

Flash at your own risk!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747181/DFI%20LP%...34s282.zip

I look forward your your feedback Smile

Regards
Admin
Thank you for the extremely fast response!

What is the likelihood of this "bricking" my board anyway?

What is the general success rate based on other scenarios similar to this one?

VERY eager to just flash it already, but don't want to be up the creek so to speak.

Thanks again!
Well, heres the verdict!

The latest BIOS from DFI supports this CPU already!

I'm not certain how this is possible, since this BIOS was released last year, and this CPU came out last month, but here is the proof:

Everest:
CPUID Properties
CPUID Manufacturer AuthenticAMD
CPUID CPU Name AMD Phenom™ II X4 970 Processor
CPUID Revision 00100F43h
Extended CPUID Revision 00100F43h
AMD Brand ID 1C66h (Phenom II X4 970)
Platform ID D6h (Socket AM2+)
HTT / CMP Units 0 / 4

CPU-Z:
[attachment=1299]
[attachment=1300]

As you can see from the screenshots, it is detected as a Phenom II X4 970, and even cool and quiet works.

Sorry to say I may have jumped the gun on this one, but at least your forum will be the only result on google when the next person comes along looking to do this. Smile
http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Aw...de-Upgrade

This thread shows a Phenom II 970 working but does it overclock correctly? I currently have a Phenom II 940 and it only overclocks to 3.7Ghz at 1.52v but it isn't stable and I would like to upgrade but DFI has stopped support for these boards.

If AMD releases the Phenom II 980 I will wait when Bulldozer is released and purchase a Phenom 975/980 for a low price. They should be better binned than the Phenom 955-970

Has there been any success to get a Phenom II x6 work on this board?

Thank you.
you could always just give it a go and find out , the original poster on that thread ended up using the stock , unmodded BIOS and it correctly recognized his X4 970 even though the bios and motherboard were older than the CPU!

So long as the X6 has the same socket and is physically compatible with the board , you may as well give it a go but there hasnt been any testing done yet! , chances are we MIGHT be able to just put the X6 microcodes in if it wont work "out of the box" but these things always require testing and are never 100% guaranteed to work

Regards
Admin
I to am interested in the support for an AM3 Phenom II x4 975/980. The Phoenix Award bios - R7SDA08 - 10/08/09 has a microcode with 1,024 KB's, and in addition all AM3 Black Edition cpu's are exactly the same architechurally. Any interest or information is greatly appreciated. This board does have a restriction of a C3 revision @ 125 watt T.D.P. Not interested in overclocking, unlocking or a x6, just want to try a Quad for now.
You might want to go back to the DFI site. ITOX convinced DFI to restart support for the LanParty's as of two weeks ago. Check it out.

Regards:

Allen(Al)

http://www.dfi.com.tw/DFI-Lanparty/suppo...ue=30LP_DK&selectBiosItemId=539