Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP DMI Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've replaced the motherboard in my HP a6130n Desktop PC, but now, I can't update the BIOS, or use the recovery CDs that I've made for the pc. I've come to the conclusion after much research on the internet that the DMI information on the board probably needs to be changed(HP Tattoo). Most of what I read, said that I, needed either to pay an HP Authorized Dealer to repair it, or get the HP DMI Utility from their website. I've had no luck in finding the DMI Utility from HP, so, I was wondering if there was another way to fix this? I really don't want to put much more money into this computer than I have already.

Is it possible to force the pc to take the update from HP's website? Every time I try to install it, the update rejects the PC saying it's not for this PC. And if so, would this correct the DMI information in the BIOS if I were able to apply the update?

I've looked at some software such as, the Award DMI Configuration Utility, and I can see some of the information from the BIOS, and I have a vague idea of what the computer is looking for from the DMI.ini file from the recovery partition. However, I don't know for example where the SerialNumber field goes in the BIOS, does it go under System(which has an incorrect #), Base Board(which has no #), or Enclosure/Chassis(which also has no #)? I also have information that I don't know where to put in the BIOS, or if it even goes in the BIOS, like the ModelNumber, SupportID, and the BuildID. Because of this, I have not tried to change any of the fields, so I do not know whether or not the Award DMI Configuration Utility will actually make changes to the BIOS or not.

I'd also like to clarify that this is infact the same board as the original. The Motherboard Specifications from HP's website on the Desktop, MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) is the exact board I have replaced it with.

Thanks.

Possible Links of Interest:
Motherboard Specifications
BIOS Update
HP Support Page for the a6130n
Hi Lost,

I do own this box and am happy to tell you there's a really great alternative. I'm not really sure as to what the issue is with taking HPs update, but I have a better solution.

There is a BIOS we have created for the Nettle2 that fully unlocks the board with all Award Options and even overclocking. We reccommend this BIOS for all Nettle2 owners, and I myself use it still today.

More information on installing it can be found here:

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-HP...ng-Options

Thanks,
TheWiz