Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Shuttle SX58J3 Bios upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings,
The latest bios for the SX58J3 does not allow for increasing the multiplier for Extreme Chips [X980...etc.]. or should I say it allows it then on boot it doesn't take. The Shuttle SX58H7 on the other hand does.
Your assistance would be greatly welcomed.
-*$20 USD donation is justified.*-
TIA

SX58H7bios: http://image.shuttle.com/ResourceCenter/...e_id=14251

SX58J3: http://image.shuttle.com/ResourceCenter/...e_id=14377
Hi Elmer,

I am sorry for the extreme delay in getting to your request, please know this is being looked into.

TheWiz
Thanks for your help.

Hi elmer,

Quite a strange case. The BIOSes ahve the same name "tylersburg", for the same chipset, same microcode, but a f different options here and there. Do you ahve a spare BIOS chip you could use to try and flash the BIOS with the working multiplier set to your board as much of the code looks very similar.

Also, could you point out which option is the multiplier, QPI is the closest thing I see in both BIOSes.

Thanks,
TheWiz
I have the bios chip from the H7 board...
Can I replace J3 chip with it and not fry anything?

- Note: tried it and it didn't work...darn.
gfx card powered up but no love.

-Note2: I cleared bios before i booted it up. Maybe not a good idea...
What do you mean by you cleared the BIOS before boot-up?
(02-13-2011, 02:51 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean by you cleared the BIOS before boot-up?

After installing it in the J3 I cleared/reset the bios before I booted it up.
Strange, did you go back to the original and boot-up alright?
I replaced the chips; each to their native motherboards and they booted up fine.
I'm a relative newbe regarding bios chips. To me they seem rather frail, not made for the rigors of many extractions.
(02-15-2011, 08:11 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]Strange, did you go back to the original and boot-up alright?

RE: Shuttle SX58J3 Bios upgrade?
I replaced the chips; each to their native motherboards and they booted up fine.
I'm a relative newbe regarding bios chips. To me they seem rather frail, not made for the rigors of many extractions

In case you check this thread again; It could be worth buying an 8pin-DIP IC socket(s) for this as that can take the punishment of plugging in and out. Seat your BIOS chip in it and then seat the pins of the DIP socket into the motherboard socket.

Eventually the motherboard socket will no longer hold anything much either, so bear that in mind. Wink
Pages: 1 2