Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Alienware M17x R1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I would love to unlock any and all overclocking related menus in this BIOS. I looked at the strings file and saw A LOT of options that look like they could be beneficial. If someone were to help with this I could do all the testing needed on my notebook as well as make a generous donation to show all of my appreciation Big Grin

Also, if possible, I would love to add GPU support for a few cards although I know that may be a lot more difficult.

Here is a link to the download page for the bios.
http://support.dell.com/support/download....aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R293843&SystemID=Alw_lp_M17x&servicetag=&os=BIOSA&osl=en&deviceid=19197&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=8&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=438965

Thanks!
The GPU support will definitely be more tricky, but I have been researching the unlocking aspect and think I can make a nice MOD for you. Do you have a spare chip to do your testing with you sounded like you can't brick it which is always nice to know Big Grin

Thanks,
TheWiz
Update: Unfortunately I am getting the infamous PSI Analysis failure message. I will keep attempting this.

TheWiz
I do not have a spare chip but it is not my primary computer either so I can do a crisis recovery most likely in the event of a failure

I have 4 computers right now, so downtime is not the end of the world for me.
Hey there,

Thanks to the help of mods kizwan has already completed, there is a mod available for this BIOS already. This was taken form the notebook review forum kizwan helps out at.

Alienware M17
(Based on Bios 029 from zfactor's)
Added/Unlocked:
- Unhidden Virtualization menu
- Unhidden SpeedStep (EIST) menu
- Unhidden Frequency Ratio menu (CPU internal frequency ratio)
- Replaced the Intel splash screen with original Alienware splash screen
- Update "DMI Strings" to original value (alienware)

Alienware M17

TheWiz
Hi TheWiz,

That is BIOS image for M17, not M17x. Sorry for the confusion. Blush
LOL woops, any way to get around the PSI Analysis error then?

TheWiz
When are you seeing that error? Because I have been able to open and view the bios fine so far using Phoenix Bios Editor PRO Release 2.2.1.3

I just have no clue how to edit it Sad
I think I must have tried opening the wrong extracted file all this time! I'll retry asap.
I was just opening the A06.rom that is inside the exe from dell. Their exe just extracts everything to a folder in c:/dell/RXXXXX
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5