Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Compal khlbx unlock?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi

Ok, so I'm new to this forum. I've been trying to find info on the bios for my laptop. It's a compal khlb2 barebone.

The bios can be found here:

http://ftp.compal.com/Download/NB/KHLBX/...LB0107.zip

I don't know if I can just ask if someone can unlock it, and then I can look at whatever features are available? or do I need to specify what I want to do?

I can list what I'm trying to do;

(since there's no info on the different bios upgrades listed on compals site)

1. check to see if it's possible to add support for 4Gb ddr modules.
2. increase battery life somehow.. mine lasts only 5 minutes (seriously)(and yes, I know this is the battery, but perhaps something can be done)
3. see if there's any way to increase performance in general
4. increase gfx performance
5. be able to actually do changes to the bios options.

Please let me know if this is the way to ask here.. I am unsure...

But hopeful :-)
I will definitely look into it and see what I can do_ It is a tideous process so check back within a few hours, as I am quite busy myself_ I will report on what I'm able to unlock
One more thing, is your video card Integrated or an MXM Slot laptop Videocard? If its Integrated I can bring down the voltages a few .05volts or so to help with battery life and decreasing GPU temps.

What is your current GPU ? Your Bios shows that it supports ATi and Nvidia GPU's so I'm not sure which one I should mod the voltage profile for, if not, I'll just leave it alone =]
I have had many successes in Undervolting Laptop GPU's believe me, I search Google and research for almost 3 months with no success until one day I discover Phoenix Bios Editor and from then on it was only a matter of learning how the Bios was setup and how the program worked.

A battery that only lasts 5 mins is a faulty battery_ replace it, its a hardware issue_
I recommend RMCLock to undervolt your CPU, it saves your battery power by plenty, and keeps your laptop Temperature down also, search GOOGLE for RMClock Undervolting there is a massavie guide on it, it works wonders_

I would recommend Overclocking your laptop GPU via software only* MSI Afterburner works wonders(and other programs) This way you have a safety switch if ever your GPU got too hot and you need the overclocks to be switch off.

To see if it'll support 4gb ddr: I believe its a Hardware issue, if your hardware doesnt support it, then its kinda impossible to adjust software to support it, however thats my knowledge on that.
All Im telling you now is I am having huge success unlocking sub-menus and what not, its crazy theres so many options hidden_ I'm not done with it yet currently still working on it will post once completed
See Post Below
ORIGINAL* BIOS*
[Image: Orginal.png]

MODDED*
[Image: Bios5-4.png]

Active Trip Point: Set temperature for Active Trip Point
Critical Trip Point: Setting shutdown Temp.
Frequency Ratio: Adjust CPU Frequency Multiplier
Intel Virtualization Technology: Enable or Disable
Option for System Memory Frequency:
System Memory: ??
Extended Memory: ??

CPU Control Sub-Menu: Menu Unlock
MCH Control Sub-Menu: Menu Unlock
Integrated Device Control Sub-Menu: Menu Unlock
Also Enable MultiBoot recovery feature also which allows for a flash recovery_(as this option was disable in the bios prior)

Rename to HLB0107.WPH and Flash_
Flash at your own Risk_ AC Plugged in Battery Installed* =]

DL Link
http://www.2shared.com/file/8lJX76QU/HLB...DDED_.html

Please Confirm if decided to Flash and its Working*
strange, I never received any notifications about thread replies..

anyway.. WOW.. will start replying to your questions!
(02-08-2011, 08:44 PM)httuner Wrote: [ -> ]I will definitely look into it and see what I can do_ It is a tideous process so check back within a few hours, as I am quite busy myself_ I will report on what I'm able to unlock
One more thing, is your video card Integrated or an MXM Slot laptop Videocard? If its Integrated I can bring down the voltages a few .05volts or so to help with battery life and decreasing GPU temps.

What is your current GPU ? Your Bios shows that it supports ATi and Nvidia GPU's so I'm not sure which one I should mod the voltage profile for, if not, I'll just leave it alone =]
I have had many successes in Undervolting Laptop GPU's believe me, I search Google and research for almost 3 months with no success until one day I discover Phoenix Bios Editor and from then on it was only a matter of learning how the Bios was setup and how the program worked.

A battery that only lasts 5 mins is a faulty battery_ replace it, its a hardware issue_
I recommend RMCLock to undervolt your CPU, it saves your battery power by plenty, and keeps your laptop Temperature down also, search GOOGLE for RMClock Undervolting there is a massavie guide on it, it works wonders_

I would recommend Overclocking your laptop GPU via software only* MSI Afterburner works wonders(and other programs) This way you have a safety switch if ever your GPU got too hot and you need the overclocks to be switch off.

To see if it'll support 4gb ddr: I believe its a Hardware issue, if your hardware doesnt support it, then its kinda impossible to adjust software to support it, however thats my knowledge on that.

Hi

lets see.

1. great that you'll look into it.. Thank you!
2. The videocard .. honestly.. I don't know.. Undecided I haven't checked, and haven't been able to find any info online..
3. GPU is ATI 4650XT 512mbr
4. lowering cpu... well, if I don't loose performance, but DO gain battery, then by all means!!!! :-) ooh, do you mean that you'll lower ir, or that I should?
5. I'll replace the battery.
6. Ok, will do!
7. Hm, well..yes, maybe.. I don't know.. I'll have to look into it again!
(02-09-2011, 01:20 AM)httuner Wrote: [ -> ]ORIGINAL* BIOS*
[Image: Orginal.png]

MODDED*
[Image: Bios5-4.png]

Active Trip Point: Set temperature for Active Trip Point
Critical Trip Point: Setting shutdown Temp.
Frequency Ratio: Adjust CPU Frequency Multiplier
Intel Virtualization Technology: Enable or Disable
Option for System Memory Frequency:
System Memory: ??
Extended Memory: ??

CPU Control Sub-Menu: Menu Unlock
MCH Control Sub-Menu: Menu Unlock
Integrated Device Control Sub-Menu: Menu Unlock
Also Enable MultiBoot recovery feature also which allows for a flash recovery_(as this option was disable in the bios prior)

Rename to HLB0107.WPH and Flash_
Flash at your own Risk_ AC Plugged in Battery Installed* =]

DL Link
http://www.2shared.com/file/8lJX76QU/HLB...DDED_.html

Please Confirm if decided to Flash and its Working*

This is great stuff.

What changes have you made? did you do any voltage modifications? Or are they available in the bios now?
Pretty impressive stuff there!!

Half the options you're showing are unknown to me... active trip point?

Looking forward to testing...
(02-09-2011, 05:40 AM)Symbiot Wrote: [ -> ]This is great stuff.

What changes have you made? did you do any voltage modifications? Or are they available in the bios now?
Pretty impressive stuff there!!

Half the options you're showing are unknown to me... active trip point?

Looking forward to testing...

No voltage mods, just unlock some new menu items for you =]
Flash it and if it works, and you still want to lower voltage on GPU to consume less power and produce less heat let me know, I'll look into it_

Lowering the voltage on the GPU does not affect performance at all_ I don't usually lower more than .05 volts on the 3d profile(Sometimes .5volt is achievable_ while the 2d and throttle profiles the voltage can be set even lower voltages(as these profiles do not require much voltage)_

Active trip point is the point when the fan will turn on_

(02-09-2011, 11:50 AM)httuner Wrote: [ -> ]No voltage mods, just unlock some new menu items for you =]
Flash it and if it works, and you still want to lower voltage on GPU to consume less power and produce less heat let me know, I'll look into it_

Lowering the voltage on the GPU does not affect performance at all_ I don't usually lower more than .05 volts on the 3d profile(Sometimes .5volt is achievable_ while the 2d and throttle profiles the voltage can be set even lower voltages(as these profiles do not require much voltage)_

Active trip point is the point when the fan will turn on_

Thanks, I'll test the bios soon, hoping for today, or this weekend.
Make sense in regards to Active trip point... Maybe I should've just used my 'little grey cells' :-)
Hiy...

Right.. I just flashed with the new bios.. Yay... my pc still works Wink

Now I have no way of testing the DDr3 compatibility.. which is probably my main thing.. but one thing in the bios is interesting:

Option for System Memory frequency..
- Set System memory frequency as 667 [enable][Disable]

Now as far as I know my DDr3 ram are running at 106xmhz..

now using 667 would give me 1333 compatibility? right?

But might this actually give me support for 4gb modules?
(02-11-2011, 04:08 PM)Symbiot Wrote: [ -> ]Hiy...

Right.. I just flashed with the new bios.. Yay... my pc still works Wink

Now I have no way of testing the DDr3 compatibility.. which is probably my main thing.. but one thing in the bios is interesting:

Option for System Memory frequency..
- Set System memory frequency as 667 [enable][Disable]

Now as far as I know my DDr3 ram are running at 106xmhz..

now using 667 would give me 1333 compatibility? right?

But might this actually give me support for 4gb modules?

Hi

thought I'd update my laptop's status.

I flashed with the bios created by httuner. All works! Great stuff.
I've just added 2x4Gb DDr3 204 pins memory and also activated 667mhz support in bios. Everything is rocking.
Now I need to consider the voltage mods..

Can you explain that a bit Httuner?

Pages: 1 2 3