Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Need to restore BIOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have a Gateway NV5927u. Since Acer makes this, I was having trouble with several issues so I used an ACER 5740 BIOS update v 1.10.
Well it took the flash, but now my battery does not recognize by BIOS. I can not seem to go back to Gateway BIOS loaded as it says wrong hardware in file during update even though the file is same size and same manufacturer. I guess its looking for hardware ID in BIOS and fails at compare to hardware.
I have tried to use PBE to unlock the BIOS files and change this, but it will not open, "invalid ROM length.
Would it be possible for the file/s to be modded to make loading the Gateway BIOS back on?
I have even tried the recover Phoenix BIOS procedure, but it still says wrong hardware and will not accept anything except ACER BIOS which works fine but no battery.

Any Ideas? Thank you for your time.

Current loaded BIOS
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/...6534210852&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%205740&OS=722&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

Need to load.
http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFil...6232367900&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NV%20SERIES&Step3=NV59&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G
During the phoenix bios process, it runs on blank screen.
that means, it cant be see any of message on screen.

It has embedded keyboard controller and bios update.

I would like to suggest change /FORCE option in BIOS.bat

phlash16 /x /s /c /mode=3 %UMAROM%
to
phlash16 /FORCE /x /s /c /mode=3 %UMAROM%

and run "Flash.bat" to flash BIOS in pure DOS.

(02-25-2011, 12:40 PM)cyberpark Wrote: [ -> ]During the phoenix bios process, it runs on blank screen.
that means, it cant be see any of message on screen.

It has embedded keyboard controller and bios update.

I would like to suggest change /FORCE option in BIOS.bat

phlash16 /x /s /c /mode=3 %UMAROM%
to
phlash16 /FORCE /x /s /c /mode=3 %UMAROM%

and run "Flash.bat" to flash BIOS in pure DOS.

Thanks for the quick reply. Your suggestion is exactly what I needed to try next step as I did not know the force commands for DOS.

While I was waiting, I tried to do a Winphlash back to the Gateway BIOS for kicks and it failed to flash the BIOS, but it did reset the battery and allowed to charge to >30% as it had drained battery and phlash16 was needed in DOS to change.

ACER makes the Gateway 5927u, and it is basically same board and chip set as ACER 5740. I upgraded to latest ACER 1.28 from 1.10 via DOS which caused the battery light to flash red and not be recognized, again.Confused I did another Winphlash in Windows and it reset the battery to Blue Charged status.Rolleyes

So long story short, I believe I will stick with the v1.28 Acer 5740 BIOS as my machines overheating problems seemed to have improved and the battery is now functioning correctly.

Also, Gateways most recent is 1.26 and since the company is a sub, it does not get updates as often. Don't want to ruin a good thing as I prefer to see an ACER post screen versus Gateway anyway Smile

It is very good to know there is a solid BIOS forum like this. THANK YOU for all your shared help and knowledge. This is a valuable resource thanks to all of you.