Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Dell BIOS inquiry.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My mother is using an old Dell Dimension 4500S. I just put a 2.66 GHz P4 Northwood in it, and it runs quite nicely. The PSU in the system is too weak to support the PCI video card she has, and I don't feel like hunting down an FX5200 or some other random DX9 compatible video card right now.

The vBIOS doesn't support many standard resolutions. Her monitor is 16:9 and intended to run at 1080p, but the vBIOS has it locked at a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. I've seen stories of people running it at ridiculous resolutions in Linux, so I'm wondering if there's something that can be done to fix this resolution problem.

Other than that, do Dell systems use the same BIOS? I read something a while back saying they used the same BIOS files, but I don't know whereI read it.
In short, Dell sometimes has there own special encoding, but by no means does this mean you can use any BIOS that is a Dell and flash it. Most of their BIOSes are based of the Phoenix SecureCore Source.

Thanks,
TheWiz
:O

I was just looking at the FX5200 sitting on my table wondering what i was going to do with it Tongue If your happy to pay the shipping costs you can have it! Big Grin

PM me if you want it

Admin