Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Sony Vaio VGN-UX390N Unlocked hidden options & EIST Unlocked (Post: #5 & #18)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(06-15-2011, 10:20 PM)elunge Wrote: [ -> ]I can't to select the maximum multiplier. it fixed 10Sad
The highest no. you can get is the maximum multiplier. The instruction is straight forward.
(06-15-2011, 10:40 PM)bigs Wrote: [ -> ]Now there is a small issue. Was wondering about the Passive cooling trip point in CPU thermal control Sub-Menu

no matter what value I set it to, it does not make a difference when I am in my linux OS. The default thermal cutoff is 66 degrees celcius before bios mod. Now with bios mod I am able to see and modify this setting. Interestingly its default value is 95 degrees C. This is not the case as when I work the CPU hard in my OS, the CPU still will throttle back from 1.33Ghz to 800Mhz when 66degrees C is reached.

Just wondering if the value here actually linked to something in the mainboard, as in this case even though the value set will save upon exiting, the cut off has not changed.

regards

Bigs
The cooling trip point settings in the BIOS follow ACPI specification. You can check the value using AIDA64 (ACPI tool). If after changing the settings, the CPU still throttle down at lower temp, that means the cooling system is not controlled using standard ACPI specification. It probably use AMW0/WMI ACPI objects or hardware-based controller.
hmm thanks for your prompt reply. I believe my ux is using acpid. I am using ubuntu lucid 10.04. In the past ubuntu users were able to write to a conf to control where the passive temp point was, not it seems to be locked to the bios.

Any help in this area to get this passive point raised would be much appreciated as 66 degrees C comes quite when you are running dual cores on a platform designed for single core

Just to show you my output

when I type "cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/trip_points

I get critical (s5): 100 C
passive: 66 C: tcl=1 tc2=2 tsp=50 devices=cpu0 cpu1

as you can see no matter how I change the value or enable vts, or disable thermal features in the modded bios, it always will faithfully give me the passive temp of 66 degrees celcius.

thanks in advance

bigs
Sorry, I only familiar with thermal management using standard ACPI specification. Please install AIDA64. Open ACPI Tool by right-clicking the AIDA64 status bar & choose ACPI Tool.
[Image: thermal_objects.jpg]
Under _TZ_ objects, locate the _PSV. Double-click the _PSV object. Please take a printscreen (screenshot) & post it here. Thank you.
(06-14-2011, 08:56 PM)elunge Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I can't see "dual-IDA". I had got ThrottleStop.
(06-15-2011, 07:05 PM)kizwan Wrote: [ -> ]Please follow this steps to enable dual-IDA mode:-
(The most important steps are no. 1 & 2. The no. 3 is for testing it.)
  1. Extract ThrottleStop into a directory on your main drive and run it. Now close ThrottleStop down by right clicking on it in the taskbar and choosing exit. Just needed it to create a configuration file. Go into the ThrottleStop directory and open the configuration file. Scroll to the bottom and set DualIDA=1. Then save it.

Run ThrotleStop again. Check Set Multiplier. Use the up arrow button to select the maximum multiplier. Uncheck EIST. Then hit Turn on. Under Option, check DualIDA on start.

2. Run CPU-Z to verify it works.

3. Run Wprime while CPU-Z is up to make sure it holds the highest multiplier.
Hi elunge,

Did you successfully enabled dual-IDA mode? Just follow the procedure, it should work.
hI kizwan,It doesn't work. Sad

Hi bigs, Did you successfully enabled dual-IDA mode?
hi elunge, unfortunately I do not use windows. I use ubuntu as my OS. So not only can I not test out dual-IDA, as cannot load up throttlestop but also the acpi in ubuntu is not registering the new bios setting I put in for passive thermal cut off point.

Is it possible theere is somewhere in the bios that can mod it properly do the passive thermal point can be changed, without haing to load up windows?
(06-19-2011, 04:48 AM)bigs Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible theere is somewhere in the bios that can mod it properly do the passive thermal point can be changed, without haing to load up windows?
By modifying the ACPI table (DSDT). I'm sure you're familiar with DSDT override in linux. But this involved a lot of work & test.
hi, sorry am not familar with dsdt, was hoping for a simple fix via bios rather than having to recompile the kernel.
Hi folks.

I have a Sony Vaio UX 280P, flashing the BIOS mod R0112N2_slic2.1.

Everything worked perfect for a few days, thank you very much.

Now I have a problem, change the mouse recently one of the same model and start the VAIO logo and does not leave the screen stays black.

I returned the previous mouse to your site and follow the same (black screen).

I'm coming to think that was to remove the battery?

I have tested turning on the VAIO without battery, without the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and not get it to work.

The question is, has been cleared BIOS by removing CMOS battery?

Hope you can help me.

PD/Sorry for my English, am Spanish (^__^).

a greeting
Hi,

Since it worked for few days, BIOS is not the problem. I'm guessing hardware problem.
Hi All,

I found out why dual-IDA doesn't work on this notebook. I just found out that VGN-UX computer have IntelĀ® 945GMS chipset. Unfortunately, this chipset doesn't support Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA). IDA only supported on Santa Rosa (PM965/GM965) & Montevina (GM45/PM45) platforms only, of course with supported processor.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5