Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Compal JHL 90 Unlocked hidden options & EIST Unlocked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a compal JHL 90 motherboard. My bios can be found here.
http://ftp.compal.com/Download/NB/JHL9x_...XXX119.zip
If you can unlock the OC settings for these, that would be great. I have a gaming laptop and can't overclock anything other than my video card.
So any luck, I've noticed views on this post but no replies and I know you guys are working hard on all these mod requests. I have used Phoenix Bios Editor on these bios, but I have no idea how to edit anything. Can't wait to see what you guys com up with.
Hi Shinmegumi,

There are a great deal of hidden options in this BIOS. I will post screenshots when I complete the modification.

Thanks,
TheWiz
Thanks Wiz. I knew there had to be. This laptop is built specifically for gaming, but they limited the BIOS so much. Can't wait to see what you unlock.
So any luck finding good hidden settings on those BIOS. I'd imagine there are a huge amount of OC and other options.
Just checking in to see how the BIOS modding is going? Haven't seen a post in here from you Wiz. Hope things are going well.
Hi,

I checked the Compal JHL 90 BIOS & I found there are no overclock related options in it. The "Frequency Ratio" found in the BIOS has been tested on a number of notebooks & with extreme edition processor (unlocked multiplier). It doesn't do anything except causing the notebook unbootable. So, it is pointless to unlocked/unhide this option. However, I found several hidden sub-menus which contain options like virtualization & speedstep. Do you want me to unlocked these sub-menus?

According to Compal JHL 90 specification, this notebook have P8400 or P9500 or T9400 CPU. This notebook have IntelĀ® PM45 Chipset + ICH9M. With combination of these hardware, you can enabled dual-IDA mode:-
P8400 - 2.26GHz -> 2.40GHz@x9
P9500 - 2.53GHz -> 2.66GHz
T9400 - 2.53GHz -> 2.66GHz@x10.5
For enabling dual-IDA mode, the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) is need to be unlocked. If Compal JHL 90 BIOS locked EIST, I can unlocked it for you.
This is modified BIOS for Compal JHL 90. It is based on BIOS JHXXX119. Use at your own risk! If you flashed BIOS with this BIOS image, please take pictures some of the unlocked options & post it here.
(link broken)
Compal JHL 90 JHXXX119 EIST MOD.rar
(MD5: 181CD5FE7859285C9E5FC445CFC5DC79)

Compal_JHL_90_EIST_MOD.7z
(MD5: C14F5E793B7760F381BE62C3C3E9D9F6)
Password: bios-mods.com
Note:-
In Compal_JHL_90_EIST_MOD.7z, contain Compal JHL 90 JHXXX119 EIST MOD.rar compressed file with MD5 181CD5FE7859285C9E5FC445CFC5DC79.

Changes:-
[Image: CompalJHL90JHXXX119EISTMOD1.jpg]
[Image: CompalJHL90JHXXX119EISTMOD2.jpg]
[Image: CompalJHL90JHXXX119EISTMOD3.jpg]

Quote:NOTES: Under "Workaround Control Sub-Menu", there are a lot of sub-menus. Please be careful with it. If your computer doesn't boot after changing something in the sub-menu, you will need to disconnect the CMOS/RTC battery to reset CMOS back to default. To do so, you will need to open your notebook casing.

Please make sure your notebook can recover corrupted BIOS with CRISIS disk before flashing BIOS with this modified BIOS image. I will not responsible for any problem. Good luck. Smile
Thank you. EIST is disabled. Before I flash this modded BIOS is there a way to recover it with a flash drive? everyone says ur the expert on phoenix bios.
(06-19-2011, 12:43 PM)Shinmegumi Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you. EIST is disabled. Before I flash this modded BIOS is there a way to recover it with a flash drive? everyone says ur the expert on phoenix bios.
Usually there is but I don't know the exact procedure, especially the hot-key to trigger the BIOS Boot Block recovery, for this notebook. Fortunately, when I googled, I found the JHL90 service manual. Quoting from the service manual:-
Quote:3.3 Boot Block
The Flash ROM used in many systems today offer the customer the advantage of electronically reprogramming the BIOS without physically replacing the BIOS ROM. This advantage, however, does create a possible hazard: power failures or fluctuations that occur during updating the Flash ROM can damage the BIOS code, making the system unbootable. To prevent this possible hazard, many Flash ROM include a special non-volatile region that can never be erased. This region, called the boot block, contains a fail-safe recovery routine. If the boot block finds corrupted BIOS, it prompts the end user to insert a diskette, from which it loads several files that replace the corrupted BIOS on the Flash ROM with an uncorrupted one.
The BIOS file size is too big for a floppy disk, so you'll need to use USB flash drive. Look like the BIOS Boot Block will automatically detect whether the BIOS is corrupted or not. Remember, this doesn't means it will work flawlessly. So, you'll only know whether the recovery mode will work or not when the BIOS is corrupted.
Pages: 1 2