Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Ram cap removal? tx1115nr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been browsing around on here for a few hours now, and I was curious if it would be even remotely possible to remove the 2gb memory cap on an hp tx1115nr (tx1100 series)

I've seen alot of modded bios's concerned with removing the wireless whitelist (which I'm also interested in) and was hoping this might be something doable. Overclocking would be fantastic as well (not concerned with battery life) but more concerned with being able to add 3-4gb of mem to the laptop

thanks in advance!

-pyr0ball
was my question stupid enough to be ignored? Tongue
No, it's not stupid question. Your request is not an easy task. Before your request can be answered, research need to be done first. What type of memory did you use? Did you use PC2-6400 (DDR2-800)? AFAIK, BIOS doesn't responsible in limiting the total amount of RAM you can use (I didn't found any proof to say otherwise). Hardware does. What I know is, each of the memory slot have maximum supported capacity. If the maximum capacity is 1024MB DDR2 & it only have two slot, it means total amount of supported memory is 2048MB DDR2. Who is responsible to this limit? I 'd blame the memory controller. I found the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processors specification page in 3rd party website. It said 4GB is supported if you use 4 x 1 Gbyte double-sided PC2-6400 memory module. Unfortunately, your notebook only have 2 memory slot.
(06-23-2011, 07:45 PM)kizwan Wrote: [ -> ]No, it's not stupid question. Your request is not an easy task. Before your request can be answered, research need to be done first. What type of memory did you use? Did you use PC2-6400 (DDR2-800)? AFAIK, BIOS doesn't responsible in limiting the total amount of RAM you can use (I didn't found any proof to say otherwise). Hardware does. What I know is, each of the memory slot have maximum supported capacity. If the maximum capacity is 1024MB DDR2 & it only have two slot, it means total amount of supported memory is 2048MB DDR2. Who is responsible to this limit? I 'd blame the memory controller. I found the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core processors specification page in 3rd party website. It said 4GB is supported if you use 4 x 1 Gbyte double-sided PC2-6400 memory module. Unfortunately, your notebook only have 2 memory slot.

Ah well that actually makes sense, and also kinda sucks. I forgot that those AMD's had onboard memory controllers. Thanks for the response!
This is interesting though because I had the tx1300 before the HP lawsuit won and we got a new ASUS netbook from the settlement, but I could've sworn that it was a 3GB by default. I will have to see if I can find any of my tests I ran on it.

TheWiz
(06-24-2011, 11:12 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]This is interesting though because I had the tx1300 before the HP lawsuit won and we got a new ASUS netbook from the settlement, but I could've sworn that it was a 3GB by default. I will have to see if I can find any of my tests I ran on it.

TheWiz

much obliged for any info or help!