Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP NRL-LS server to work with Nvidia 8400GS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask. I have an old HP TC2120 server with a rebranded ASUS NRL-LS mother board running an HP Award Medallion V6.0 bios. With a Nvidia 8400GS PCI video card installed the server wont complete it's POST.
Link to just ROM file hpbios.023
Official download where you can extract the file.

I've flashed the bios to the ASUS HRL-LS533 NRLLS203.awd bios file and the server boots fine, however the fans run at full RPM and not temperature controlled so it is very noisy (trying to use it as a desktop).
Official download

I can find much information about the "Award Medallion V6.0 bios", standard Award and or Phoenix tools don't want to open or recognize the files.

I would like have either of these files modified (or be told how to) to run the server correctly with the Nvidia 8400GS card installed. This means either the original HP version to allow the card to be initiated or the ASUS bios to control the fans correctly.

I suspect the HP BIOS just has something turned off from the ASUS BIOS since the HP board doesn't have the onboard SCSI or 3rd IDE channel the ASUS board has. Basically the HP is a reduced function set version of the ASUS board. HP support told me they had lots of problems with 3rd party video cards in their servers but didn't know why and there are no BIOS updates to resolve it. Clearly it could be resolved as the board will run with this card with the ASUS BIOS but HP probably wants to prevent people using the servers as highend workstations.

Thanks for any support you can offer.
Steve