Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: MSI 890FXA-GD70
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The MSI 890FXA-GD70 is one of three supported motherboards released by MSI that support the AM3+ Bulldozer platform (with an 8xx series chipset).

[Image: MSI%20890FXA-GD70.jpg]
(image courtey of guru3d)

The most recent BIOS available for the board is revision 1C0 as of 10/6/11. A beta BIOS, version 1D2, can be requested and made available from BIOS-Mods. This is an official beta BIOS compiled on 11/9/11.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/890FXA-GD7.../?div=BIOS

After testing this board extensively with a new FX-6100 CPU, BIOS-Mods has discovered a BIOS flaw that prevents the CPU from properly running with windows. The solution currently found is to disable the BIOS option "Core C6 States" found in the Cell Menu of the BIOS.

For more information on this BIOS, please consult the specifications page.
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/890FXA-GD7...div=Detail

We can provide specialized assistance for those using any MSI 890 chipset series board. Have a question? Feel free to reply to the thread, or add additional information.
I currently have the FX-8150 on the 890FXA-GD70 board with the 1.12 or 1.1C BIOS.
Has there been any word on a BIOS revision that has a Steam DRM conflict fix? I've heard that other manufacturers have released a recent update to fix it.
What changes are in the 1D2 bios? Have there been any improvements to the core unlocking ability?

I am having problems unlocking cores in my phenom XII.
I figured out how to unlock the 3rd and 4th core, and it all seems to run fine. I've ran stress tests and played games, all seems well.
But every time I try to cold boot, it "forgets" the additional cores (when the multiplier is above 8x) and i have to reset. Some sort of failure to initialize the CPU I think.
I've tested my CPU in a friends older 790FXA-GD70 (which has the old ACC) and that board didn't give me all this fuss. I initially thought my cores were just bad until testing the CPU in the older board.

here are the steps I have been taking to get my cores unlocked with the 890, hopefully it helps someone out there-
Update- Ignore the older greyed out instructions

------------------------------

This is what works for me, i have an MSI 890FXA-GD70 (bios 1.C) paired with an AMD Phenom II 565 Black Edition Dual Core CPU. These steps unlocked 2 good (so far) cores.

These are my fail-safe instructions i wrote for myself and MY hardware. No promises, but following these exact steps keeps me from getting an FF error on my board's display.

1. F6 optimize default bios (you might be able to skip this, but dont if you are unsure)
2. Save and Exit

3. Under Cell Menu, change "Adjust CPU Ratio" (multiplier) to 8x (possibly even lower, but this works for me) , "CPU NB-Ratio" to 8x, and "HT Link speed" to 8x
4. Save and Exit

5. Set "Unlock CPU Core" to ENABLED, cpu core control to MANUAL
6. Save and EXIT

-At this point, the 4 cores should be recognized, but will only be clocked at like 1.6 ghz

7. Change CPU NB-Ratio to AUTO, HT LINK Speed to AUTO
8. Save and EXIT!!! Very Important.

9. Change Multiplier to 17-ish
10. Save and Exit.

Download and setup PhenomMsrTweaker. Use it to bump the multiplier back up to 17 once windows is loaded. it will run at startup as a service, so you wont have to fool with it once its setup.
heres some info on it-
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/show...customized

Done! This gets me working with 4 functioning cores at 3400 mhz.
(12-22-2011, 04:15 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]The most recent BIOS available for the board is revision 1C0 as of 10/6/11. A beta BIOS, version 1D2, can be requested and made available from BIOS-Mods. This is an official beta BIOS compiled on 11/9/11.
After testing this board extensively with a new FX-6100 CPU, BIOS-Mods has discovered a BIOS flaw that prevents the CPU from properly running with windows. The solution currently found is to disable the BIOS option "Core C6 States" found in the Cell Menu of the BIOS.
As a n00b to this forum, I hope I'm doing the right thing by asking here for the above-mentioned BIOS? I have an fx-6100 and, indeed, the system has been flaky since I replaced my x4 955 chip.
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your questions, this is indeed the right place to be asking about the board and adding information. After testing it myself I figured there would be many other things people would want to discuss.

To everyone: I was recently provided an updated 1D4 beta BIOS by MSI that fixes the Core C6 States AND the Green Power menu freezes with many CPUs. It did seem like 1D4 was acting a bit strange with AHCI drive detection, but it was hard to tell due to my specific configuration.

@jreinlie - I am not sure if they addressed the DRM issues in these newer BIOSes, they did not send me any release notes with them. It is definitely worth it to upgrade to the latest beta bios and test, as long as install the pre SP2 hotfix I mentioned in the PM as it may resolve the issue.

@fredknex - That is indeed a strange issue, but I appreciate you posting the method you have been using to work around. It is possible that either a core is unstable (unlikely) or that the Core ACC software on the current revision BIOS you have does not play nice with the version BIOS you have installed.

@scottegos2 - Indeed, the FX-6100 will not play nice without the 1D4 version BIOS and possibly the SP2 hotfix for people in need of virtualization and AVX features.

Resolution:

I have flashed and tested both the BIOS and pre-SP2 hotfix for Windows7/Server 2008, and they both have fixed many of the CPU issues I have experienced. I reccommend upgrading to the 1D4 version BIOS attached below and installing the hotfix if you need AVX support. Please note these CPUs will be much better supported by Microsoft with the relase of SP2.

The easiest way to flash the upgrade is to use the M-flash from USB in the BIOS setup menu. It seems to work pretty flawlessly for me after testing multiple revisions.

BIOS: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/Bios/A7640AMS.1D4.zip

Hotfix: http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20...64_zip.exe

Thanks for your feedback everyone, let me know the results.

Warm Regards,
TheWiz
Hello Chris,

It is nice to hear from you and I hope you had a great holiday season. I am very interested in trying the new beta BIOS and Windows Hot-fix. A few questions first, Is the Windows hot-fix the same hot-fix that alters the windows CPU task schedule which was pulled from the public? Is it a necessary install for the beta BIOS? Thank you,

-James
***UPDATE***
Ok, I flashed the BIOS and there was a few issues that caused me to switch back to 1.1C.

- No DRM fix, certain Steam games still cause reboot
- Funky Vcore issue, It seems as if the BIOS is setup to under-volt the CPU on optimal settings
- Erratic CPU clock speeds in CORE Temp while operating on desktop (Unstable Turbo Core issues?)
- Unstable in 3D applications
- Random crashes while in BIOS
- Hot-fix will not install, I receive this message upon running the installer: "This update is not applicable to your computer"

I really do appreciate the help, but I don't think this BIOS version is ready. It seems as if MSI is doing pretty well keeping the 990FXA series BIOS updated. I'm kinda worried about
MSI's continued support of this board and the AM3+ issues that plague it , If they can't fix the DRM issues like the 990FXA chipset
then I may be forced to upgrade Sad

Are you in contact with anyone at MSI that develops BIOS?
Is there some kind of a "ballpark" official release date for the BIOS?
(01-03-2012, 04:05 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]To everyone: I was recently provided an updated 1D4 beta BIOS by MSI that fixes the Core C6 States AND the Green Power menu freezes with many CPUs. It did seem like 1D4 was acting a bit strange with AHCI drive detection, but it was hard to tell due to my specific configuration.
@scottegos2 - Indeed, the FX-6100 will not play nice without the 1D4 version BIOS and possibly the SP2 hotfix for people in need of virtualization and AVX features.
BIOS: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/Bios/A7640AMS.1D4.zip

Hotfix: http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20...64_zip.exe
Well, thank you for all the effort! My feedback so far is that the BIOS seems to work quite well for me. I cannot get the hotfix, since I don't have a login ID; however, my main concern was around the BIOS, especially with respect to sleep/power savings.
Hi everyone,

@scott - I am glad the new BIOS is working well for you, it fixed many power related issues for me as well.

@jreinlie4 - I indeed enjoyed the holiday season, I'm glad you did as well. I have not experienced any of the issues you reported so I was suprised you had the issues you did. I am not personally in contact with anyone at MSI that develops the BIOS, but I was able to contact their technical support department via ticket and get these beta bioses as attachments. They did not have any official release date times for me, but I did try to push them to finish it. If you would like to try to see if the 1D2 is more stable for you, I have included the link below. It won't fix the DRM issues, but I'm suprised you had the issues you did with the 1D4 as the two CPUs I tested ran fine on all of the beta bioses in the areas you mentioned.

The hotfix was for virtualization and not the one microsoft pulled. It has the AVX feature fix for HyperV on Server 2008, I didn't realize it wouldn't apply to Win7 systems.

Here is the 1D2 BIOS: (Will post soon, have to find the BIN off my file server)

I will try to see if I can hunt down the DRM issues with MSI. Meanwhile, i would highly reccomend posting the DRM Steam issue to a ticket with MSI, they do a good job to replying to them with details. Forward me your correspondence with them and I will try to advise you as you communicate with them if you choose to do so.

Thanks everyone,
Chris
MSI has provided me with the 1D5 version and it has fixed the DRM issue and so far is very stable for me. If anyone wants it, here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/Bios/A7640AMS.1D5.rar

Thanks for the help,
-James
James,

This is really a job well done, thank you for your contribution and for checking in with MSI. It beats me why they slowly gave me more up to date beta versions, but I am glad you have gotten the latest version.

Many thanks,
Chris
Pages: 1 2