Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: [Removed] Lenovo G770 Whitelist removal...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a Lenovo G770 and I notice that the BIOS won't let me install my own wifi card. Is there any way you guys can help me? I've seen a previous thread about a G770, and I tried to pull a bios backup using flashit.exe off of a USB-Based FreeDOS disk, but it kept telling me an error similar to "This version of flashit doesn't work with your bios" Inside the BIOS itself, it has InsydeH20 written everywhere, so I don't know why it wont work. What I did do was follow these instructions and i was able to pull a backup of the bios. I currently uploaded that bios backup here, but i'm not sure if the instructions I listed earlier are valid for my machine and BIOS type, or if it will brick my laptop.

Unfortunately my Lenovo G770 doesn't have a firmware update in the manufacturers support site, or I would have linked it directly here. Please help. Do you think its too risky to try, and I should just keep the crappy wifi card that came with the laptop?

Thanks,

-NetEngineer10
Didn't work. I flashed the bios and it was successful, but maybe the original bios backup i took wasn't proper. When I took the BIOS backup, I had the new card installed, but i also disabled WLAN in the BIOS, it was the only way it would let me use my new computer. After the first day of not getting a response, wasn't sure if anyone would try de-white listing this bios, so I installed the old card and turned back WLAN in the BIOS. I just flashed the file and swapped the WLAN card and WLAN was turned off in the BIOS, so I know the backup and restore worked, but I still got the error telling me it was an invalid WLAN card.

I just took another backup with the WLAN on, and with the old wifi card installed. Below is the link, same file name as the old, same link, but new file.

LINK
http://www.bios-mods.com/BIOS/Whitelists...NWL_v2.rom

The backup is the same, i just use another patch method. Wink This one should work.
Sorry to report, it looks like that one didn't do the trick either. =( If you want, I can re-take the backup to confirm that your changes were actually applied.
Yes please.
Bad news at your side Sad

The last bios backup is, in fact, identical to the other two, so you are not successfully flashing the mod, Sad and that's why the whitelist removal doesn't work.
try renaming the file to PIWG1.BIN and put it in the root of a fat32 formatted pendrive, and try to flash it forcing recovery with combo at startup. WIN-B or FN-B or FN-R or FN-ESC .. whatever combo key is the one that triggers recovery on your machine.
I will try the second i get home. Which one should I try flashing first? v1 or v2?
Okay, confirmed working. I installed v2 that you uploaded above. I found some instructions online, modified them to match this scenario. For people who have a G770, follow the instructions below to flash the bios:

There is one more warning I cannot stress enough, this BIOS works with my version of the Lenovo G770 (integrated video, no USB 3.0 slots, no MXM Slot for dedicated graphics). I suspect there are two separate versions, since the upgraded version of the Lenovo G770 offers a dedicated graphics card, & USB 3.0, and I don't see that being physically possible with my Lenovo G770. This is probably the same reason why they don't list any BIOS upgrades on the Lenovo Support website for the G770. Only perform the steps below if you think your Lenovo matches the description of my G770 listed above.

1. turn off the laptop
2. Unplug the power cord.
3. insert the flash drive
4. press and hold Fn-B key combination
5. while holding Fn-B, plug in the power cord
6. still holding Fn-B, press Power button
the computer will spin up the fan but the screen will remain black. If it finds the appropriate file, it'll beep again, read it in, and will start flashing the BIOS. Once it's completed flashing the BIOS, it will continuously beep, the power button will not respond, neither will any key combinations (Scared me at this point, thought i bricked my motherboard). I unplugged the laptop from the power, pulled the battery to kill the laptop. Once I put the battery back in, I hit the power button and it powered up and ran without issue.

PS, Donation sent your way. Thanks for your help.
Pages: 1 2 3