Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP COMPAQ IRIS8 and 4GB RAM Crashing???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
Have any of you run into the problem of not being able to get WIN7 64-bit Ultimate to run with 4GB of DDR2 800 PC-2 6400 RAM on the IRIS8 MB?

Unlocked BIOS loads no problem (thank you btw) and shows the 2 2GB sticks but the OS crashes almost immediately. One stick of 2GB works fine in either slot, thought the other stick of ram was bad so I switched sticks and no problem when I only use one. Added a 1 GB old Hynix to get 3GB but was hoping to MAX the crap out of this MB without spending a fortune.

The RAM I bought was:
"Crucial Ballistix-BLS2G2D80EBS1S00 Desktop Memory Kit - 4GB (2x 2GB), DDR2, PC2-6400, DDR2-800MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 1.8V, CL5, Non-ECC, Unbuffered for $52.99" said it was compatible on the Crucial website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx,
Jovee
(02-10-2012, 11:35 PM)jovee13 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,
Have any of you run into the problem of not being able to get WIN7 64-bit Ultimate to run with 4GB of DDR2 800 PC-2 6400 RAM on the IRIS8 MB?

Unlocked BIOS loads no problem (thank you btw) and shows the 2 2GB sticks but the OS crashes almost immediately. One stick of 2GB works fine in either slot, thought the other stick of ram was bad so I switched sticks and no problem when I only use one. Added a 1 GB old Hynix to get 3GB but was hoping to MAX the crap out of this MB without spending a fortune.

The RAM I bought was:
"Crucial Ballistix-BLS2G2D80EBS1S00 Desktop Memory Kit - 4GB (2x 2GB), DDR2, PC2-6400, DDR2-800MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 1.8V, CL5, Non-ECC, Unbuffered for $52.99" said it was compatible on the Crucial website.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thx,
Jovee

Hi

I have a Compaq Presarion SR5640AN which has the Iris8 motherboard but seems to have the wrong BIOS. Nevertheless, it does function but crashes occasionally and I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the correct BIOS back on the system. It is an Athlon x2 5400+ and the specs say it can take 4 GB RAM (2 x 2 GB). I tried a 2 and a 1 GB stick (only had the one 2 GB stick) and it booted fine in Vista. Can't see why an extra 1 GB should be a problem. If one of your sticks is bad, how do expect 4 GB to run?

Cheers

Brenton
Hi

I have a Compaq Presarion SR5640AN which has the Iris8 motherboard but seems to have the wrong BIOS. Nevertheless, it does function but crashes occasionally and I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the correct BIOS back on the system. It is an Athlon x2 5400+ and the specs say it can take 4 GB RAM (2 x 2 GB). I tried a 2 and a 1 GB stick (only had the one 2 GB stick) and it booted fine in Vista. Can't see why an extra 1 GB should be a problem. If one of your sticks is bad, how do expect 4 GB to run?

Cheers

Brenton

Hi Brenton,
I thought that maybe one of my 2GB sticks was bad, but when I swapped the 2GB for the other, both worked fine with a 1GB in the other slot. Not together though. It's more of a challenge than a necessity. Hopefully someone has an answer to this like "The Wiz"! He has a wonderful "unlocked" BIOS for this board. Have you used it? It's great...

Jovee

(02-15-2012, 11:45 AM)jovee13 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

Cheers

Brenton

Hi Brenton,
I thought that maybe one of my 2GB sticks was bad, but when I swapped the 2GB for the other, both worked fine with a 1GB in the other slot. Not together though. It's more of a challenge than a necessity. Hopefully someone has an answer to this like "The Wiz"! He has a wonderful "unlocked" BIOS for this board. Have you used it? It's great...

Jovee

Hi Jovee

I haven't used it as I'm very nervous abouting playing around with BIOSes. I'm just trying to get the BIOS back to normal. BTW, I tried 4G (2 x 2GB) RAM on this Compaq Iris8 board and it works fine under Vista (32 bit). Windows 7 64 bit can have some peculiarities. I just bought an external hard drive case, added a laptop hard drive which I needed to get the data off, and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit couldn't find a device driver for it. Under the 32 bit version of Windows 7 it worked fine. The computer shop changed the case to another brand, I put the hard drive in, and my Windows 7 64 bit handled it without any problems. Strange. You may have a problem which is a "bug" in the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and not a RAM problem. There probably isn't a solution then unless Microsoft releases an update related to this issue.

Cheers

Brenton

(02-15-2012, 10:05 PM)ttgpcs Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-15-2012, 11:45 AM)jovee13 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

Cheers

Brenton

Hi Brenton,

Jovee

Hi Jovee

I haven't used it as I'm very nervous abouting playing around with BIOSes. I'm just trying to get the BIOS back to normal. BTW, I tried 4G (2 x 2GB) RAM on this Compaq Iris8 board and it works fine under Vista (32 bit). Windows 7 64 bit can have some peculiarities. I just bought an external hard drive case, added a laptop hard drive which I needed to get the data off, and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit couldn't find a device driver for it. Under the 32 bit version of Windows 7 it worked fine. The computer shop changed the case to another brand, I put the hard drive in, and my Windows 7 64 bit handled it without any problems. Strange. You may have a problem which is a "bug" in the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and not a RAM problem. There probably isn't a solution then unless Microsoft releases an update related to this issue.

Cheers

Brenton

Thanks, I think you're right. Must be a 64 bit bug...