Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Unable to upgrade CPU - could that be the Bios? (HP Compaq Notebook)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody, this is my first post, my problem is that I cannot upgrade the cpu on my notebook, a Compaq CQ60-300SL (although I cannot find much on the HP-Compaq website). Huh

The stock CPU is a Sempron SI-42, 2100 MHz, Socket S1g2 and the one I'm trying to mount is a Turion X2 Ultra ZM-80, 2100 MHz dualcore, Socket S1g2, which was pulled from another HP laptop with the SAME motherboard, that had a broken screen (it was used by the previous owner with an external monitor), the motherboard is a Wistron 303c 08.49, while the bios is HP F.35 02/17/2009 (again is the stock bios, never flashed it).

After mounting it on my laptop and starting it seemed to work, but the screen was completely black, the only thing I could do was turning it off with the power key. I disassembled the laptop once again and double checked all the connections again ( I thought it could have been a disconnected cable). After that it worked for a day (and I could see that it really worked much faster) then the next day it when I turned it on the black screen appeared again, and I was never able to make it work again with the ultra zm-80 cpu. A friend of mine lended me a Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2000 MHz, Socket S1g1 (working) to test it on the motherboard and again it didn't work (black screen on startup). Double checking everything the whole disassembling-reassembling process was done properly (I'm no newbie), and the only thing I could do was mounting the Sempron SI-42 back again, and magically it booted without problems (I'm typing this from the same laptop).

I came to the conclusion that it is probably the bios that has some codes that prevent the machine from running a different cpu, as I've seen other HP and Compaqs notebooks with the SAME Winstron 303c motherboard running the Turion Ultra ZM-80. Could that be the problem? Also knowing about the infamous Hp "Whitelist" direct my thoughts on the "bios preventing the cpu upgrade" hypothesis... Sad

I think I've said enough, any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanx a lot to anyone replying to this, have a nice day Wink
nobody has any idea? is this the wrong section? should I post this in the "CPU Support Ugrades" ?

Please help me out! Angel