Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Athlon II/Phenom II support Dell Inspiron 531
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

mew905

If you could remotely make this possible (I'll dump the BIOS if you need me to, just tell me how), or even tell me what my current processor compatibility is via BIOS 1.0.13, I would very greatly appreciate it. If you could add the Athlon/Phenom II support as well, I'll even donate $20 (1/3 the cost of a new motherboard). and be eternally grateful. Thank you so much for your hard work. Also perhaps unlocking the overclock options would be a bonus, though not necessary (I can use nVidia's tool anyway)
Hi Mate

wow , talk about some incentive to get working!

Right i downloaded the latest bios from the Dell Support Site , which is version 1.0.13 like you mentioned.

Now ive ran into a problem , i cant extract the bios out of it! - Tried everything Sad

Please download this and use it to save a backup , then zip it and attach it on this post. I know from experience that this is an Award bios , so it will backup fine for editing.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/747181/Univer...Backup.EXE

I also want you to be completely certain of what the risks are of this and you may potentially end up bricking the motherboard. While we can help you recover , its not certain and CPU Support upgrades are a pretty new thing.

Regards
Admin

mew905

for some reason Dell's 1.0.13 update wont work for me, so I'm gonna have to give ya 1.0.12, shouldnt be much of an issue anyway though considering they only added support IIRC for the Athlon X2 BE-2xxx series to my knowledge. Reason I'm offering the donation is because without this mod (bricked or not) I'd have to dremel my case, replace the board, get a new CPU and possibly new RAM, costing me potentially well into the $300 range. With the mod I could go Athlon II X4 or Phenom II and save around $200, ($180 if you include the donation). So in reality, You're helping me help you help me... Confused

Anyway, hopefully I figured out how to post files here correctly.

EDIT: just remembered to tell ya I dont have a floppy drive either, so a bootable ISO with some instructions would be nice, but not necessary.
Thank You! Big Grin

Well ive solved half of your query , your bios can currently support the following CPU's:-

Quote:AMD Engineering Sample
AMD Processor model unknown
Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 12
Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 22
Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 82
AMD Sempron™ Processor
Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor
AMD Sempron™ Processor 1
AMD Sempron™ Dual Core Processor
AMD Sempron™ Processor LE-1
AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology MK
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 FX
AMD Athlon™ Processor 1
AMD Athlon™ Dual Core Processor
AMD Athlon™ Processor LE-1
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Processor
AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual Core Processor BE-200

Working on the rest Big Grin

mew905

Alright, I'll give it a shot and post back (I actually will, I have a PS3 and a netbook as backup, I've noticed these other guys wont), but I wont be able to verify processor compatibility for a little while. I'm guessing 'AMD Quad Core' will (or should) support phenom 1, 2 and Athlon 2?
Should do , and if not i can remod to add it Big Grin

Oh heck ive just realised ive done the wrong mod Tongue

You want the one that supports:-

Quote:AMD Engineering Sample
AMD Thermal Test Kit
AMD Processor model unknown
Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 83
Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 23
Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 13
Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 83
Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 23
Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 13
Embedded AMD Opteron™ Processor 83
Embedded AMD Opteron™ Processor 23
Embedded AMD Opteron™ Processor 13
Embedded AMD Opteron™ Processor
AMD Athlon™
AMD Phenom™
AMD Phenom™ FX
AMD Athlon™ Processor LE
AMD Sempron™ Processor LE
AMD Phenom™ II X4 9AMD Phenom™ II X4 8
AMD Phenom™ II X4 7AMD Phenom™ II X4 6
AMD Phenom™ II X4 BAMD Phenom™ II X4
AMD Phenom™ II Neo X4 AMD Phenom™ II FX
AMD Athlon™ II X4 5
AMD Athlon™ II X4 6
AMD Athlon™ II X4 B
AMD Athlon™ II X4
AMD Phenom™ II X3 5
AMD Phenom™ II X3 4
AMD Phenom™ II X3 B
AMD Phenom™ II X3
AMD Phenom™ II X3 7
AMD Phenom™ II X2 5
AMD Phenom™ II X2
AMD Athlon™ II X3 3
AMD Athlon™ II X3 4
AMD Athlon™ II X3 B
AMD Athlon™ II X3
AMD Athlon™ II Neo X3
AMD Athlon™ II X2 5
AMD Athlon™ II X2 4
AMD Athlon™ II X2 3
AMD Athlon™ II X2 2
AMD Athlon™ II X2 B
AMD Athlon™ II X2
AMD Athlon™ II Neo X2
AMD Athlon™ II Neo X4
Six-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 84
Six-Core AMD Opteron™ Processor 24
AMD Sempron™ 1AMD Phenom™ II
AMD Phenom™ II X2 B
AMD Athlon™ II XLT V
AMD Athlon™ II XL V
AMD Phenom™ II XLT Q
AMD Athlon™ II 1 SE HE EEGF HEHF HE Quad-Core Processor0010203040506070809000
Dual-Core Processor00e
Dual-Core Processor00B
Dual-Core Processor50
Dual-Core Processor50e
Dual-Core Processor50B
Dual-Core Processor00
Triple-Core Processor00e
Triple-Core Processor00B
Triple-Core Processor50
Triple-Core Processor50e
Triple-Core Processor50B
Triple-Core Processor00
Quad-Core Processor00e
Quad-Core Processor00B
Quad-Core Processor50
Quad-Core Processor50e
Quad-Core Processor50B
Quad-Core Processor Processor0 Processore Processor0e ProcessorB ProcessorVSQS HENP HEKH HEKS EE TWKR Black EditionL ProcessorC Processoru Processor

Ive made you a bootable ISO , burn it to Cd , reboot and boot from it (this is updated , please download again)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/747181/FLASHC...0AGESA.ISO

When you get to the DOS Prompt type:-

awdflash.exe mod.rom /py /sn /cc /r

This will automatically flash the bios , clear the CMOS and restart the computer.

Best of luck!

If it fails and you get bricked , if you can still reboot off the CD again type:-

awdflash.exe original.rom /py /sn /cc /r

This will restore the original 1.0.12 bios

Kindest Regards And The Best Of Luck , Although remember that you try this mod at your own risk!

Regards
Admin
Sorry
Admin

mew905

wow, now thats a pretty impressive list! Thank you very much for your efforts!
Welcome , although theres no guarantees on the mod working Tongue If you want to take the risk then do so but its up to you in the end!

Admin

mew905

I could try it now, see if it works at all, other than bricking, worst case scenario is it's identical to what I got now. But I wont be able to test processor compatibility until I get a new one, I'll be trying an Athlon II X4 620, a processor I know wont work (latest BIOS 1.0.13 was released around half way through Phenom I's releases, so it doesnt even know about AII), without being able to test that, I cant post back and tell ya if the mod itself worked. But I'll try to get the new processor by next month. I have been the first to do alot of things with this PC, and thanks to you, I can [hopefully] do it again Smile
Hardware wise, the original Phenoms were AM2+ sockets with the upgraded hyper transport, so as long as the anthlon !! doesn't exceed wattage on the socket, and the bios flash works, I would say green lights are in your future.

TheWiz
Pages: 1 2 3