Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP WHS MSS EX470 BIOS Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a HP Media SmartServer (MSS) running MS Windows Home Server (WHS).

I have upgraded the processor and RAM and would like to know a little bit more about the following BIOS hack I found from Tom's HW:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/medi...,2171.html

Which says to perform the following steps to mod the BIOS:

Use your command window to run the following sequence of commands from inside the working directory (you can skip the comment text which starts with a hash mark #):
•cbrom182 awdbios.bin /d #displays BIOS content
•cbrom182 SS21S10J.BIN /acpitbl extract #extract acpitbl from Shuttle BIOS into file acpitbl.bin
•cbrom182 mb601b_18.BIN /gv3 extract #extract agesacpu from Abit BIOS into file agesacpu.rom
•cbrom182 awdbios.bin /gv3 agesacpu.rom #insert Abit BIOS element into Award BIOS
•cbrom182 awdbios.bin /acpitbl acpitbl.bin #insert Shuttle BIOS element into Award BIOS
•cbrom182 awdbios.bin /d #display patched BIOS content

If all goes well, you’ll see a display like the following when you enter the final command, which now includes the added GV3 and ACPI Table elements as items 11 and 12 in that list. If you follow the instructions to the letter, everything should work just fine. If your results are not the same as what you see here, don’t proceed to the next step until they match.

I upgraded the processor to AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor.
The server is running MS WHS v 3.0 which is based on MS Server 2003, 32 bit OS. Everything works fine.

I would like to upgrade the BIOS to support a multicore CPU if possible. I will be loading a new OS which is 64 bit (WHS 2011).

My question is this:

Can someone review the steps and provide me with updated BIOS versions and steps to mod the BIOS to include support for a multi-core CPU?

Sorry if I have included too much information or not enough, I have never done a BIOS mod, but am looking forward to trying!

Thanks!