Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Bricked laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, wondering if someone could help me out. I'm fairly technical and good enough to swap a BIOS chip that isn't soldered down.

I've got an ADVENT 7301 laptop (model AL-096), wanted to use my OCZ Solid-3 60gb SATA SSD but the bios would freeze with the ssd inserted (linux would detect it if i plugged in the ssd after POST), so I searched for a BIOS update. It must be the wrong one..

I used Packard Bell MZ35 v3A14 Unlocked By 1234s282.iso

Can someone guide me as how to unbrick my laptop please? For example, a link to buy a correct/updated BIOS chip would be appreciated, or do i need to clear the cmos? how would i do that?

Many many thanks in advanced.
(06-10-2012, 12:48 PM)binary64 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, wondering if someone could help me out. I'm fairly technical and good enough to swap a BIOS chip that isn't soldered down.

I've got an ADVENT 7301 laptop (model AL-096), wanted to use my OCZ Solid-3 60gb SATA SSD but the bios would freeze with the ssd inserted (linux would detect it if i plugged in the ssd after POST), so I searched for a BIOS update. It must be the wrong one..

I used Packard Bell MZ35 v3A14 Unlocked By 1234s282.iso

Can someone guide me as how to unbrick my laptop please? For example, a link to buy a correct/updated BIOS chip would be appreciated, or do i need to clear the cmos? how would i do that?

Many many thanks in advanced.

Hello I have seen something like that happen to a friend he used this forum topic to recover his bios from being bricked.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware...y-yes.html

To reset a cmos on a laptop their usually is not a jumper to reset a cmos. What you can do is pull the bios battery and wait a bit or for some laptops you are able to pull the laptop battery and hold the power button for 10-30secs depending on the laptop.

As for a new bios chip for your laptop ill look around but usually they are soldered to the laptop.

Note: Clearing your cmos will not recover your bios it will just reset settings, refresh hardware ID's, ETC.

I have found a site for you if all of those fail you may be able to contact this company and purchase a new bios chip.

http://bios-repair.co.uk/Programmed-BIOS...Index.html

The chip is probably soldered so you may have to pay someone to do it if you are unable to.