Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST + BOUNTY] Lenovo Thinkpad P14s ...
Last Post: loadit
Today 02:23 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 66
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Today 10:53 AM
» Replies: 845
» Views: 317106
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad E130 (H4ETxxWW...
Today 10:51 AM
» Replies: 509
» Views: 101062
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Today 08:15 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2522
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Today 07:23 AM
» Replies: 139
» Views: 40964
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Today 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 337
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Today 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55311
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64130
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4101
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 02:25 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 6568
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
Yesterday 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 146
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
Yesterday 04:08 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 94
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52214
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: ghostinoss
03-26-2024 09:21 PM
» Replies: 655
» Views: 167174
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Views: 239
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Views: 328
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Whitelist HP DV6-6...
Last Post: DimanTLT63
03-26-2024 03:03 AM
» Views: 145
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion G6-1252ss Whitelis...
Last Post: joseefitness
03-26-2024 01:40 AM
» Views: 126
[REQUEST] Lenovo S310 & S410 (8BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: morgley
03-25-2024 10:43 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 6333
Acer Nitro ANV15-51 Bios Bin File Reques...
Last Post: Papethzkie23
03-25-2024 06:04 PM
» Views: 138

[Request] Bios unlock for Lenovo Legion Y720T-34ASU
I would like to enable AMD Virtualization. The option is hidden right now. This is the link to the latest bios version. https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/des...y24usa.exe Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
find
(02-26-2018, 10:07 PM)FatGuy Wrote: I would like to enable AMD Virtualization. The option is hidden right now. This is the link to the latest bios version. https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/des...y24usa.exe Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm looking for the same thing.

There have been two BIOS updates since the original post, but still no AMD-V option according to the changes.txt.
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/des...y26usa.exe
(the files can be extracted from this .exe with 7z)

Does anybody have any ideas?  I'd rather put pressure on Lenovo themselves to fix this glaring oversight than to harass volunteer hobbyists, of course.  At least I know I'm not alone in wanting this option.

I run Linux, so my next battle will be figuring out how to flash the BIOS safely without Windows.  (The changes.txt mentions a CD image and DOS package, but only the Windows utility is actually included.)  But, one step at a time.
find
(07-24-2018, 04:01 PM)penduin Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 10:07 PM)FatGuy Wrote: I would like to enable AMD Virtualization. The option is hidden right now. This is the link to the latest bios version. https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/des...y24usa.exe Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm looking for the same thing.

There have been two BIOS updates since the original post, but still no AMD-V option according to the changes.txt.
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/des...y26usa.exe
(the files can be extracted from this .exe with 7z)

Does anybody have any ideas?  I'd rather put pressure on Lenovo themselves to fix this glaring oversight than to harass volunteer hobbyists, of course.  At least I know I'm not alone in wanting this option.

I run Linux, so my next battle will be figuring out how to flash the BIOS safely without Windows.  (The changes.txt mentions a CD image and DOS package, but only the Windows utility is actually included.)  But, one step at a time.

Maybe you didn't need to flashing bios ,it also can enabled Virtualization feature.
Visit this thread and make a efi sell usb stick then going to efi shell environment.
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-R...-EFI-shell

Type command  "setup_var 0x145 0x01" ,it should can enable SVM Mode.
It like setting bios value ,if you load default or clear cmos or others  ,it need run again.

[Image: 1Z8K89e.jpg]

There are two group of menu on bios ,but i don't find hidden one where module it is ,sorry.
Another ,do you know afu has EFI and LNX version ??

find
Holy smokes genius239 ...your screen name is entirely appropriate!

penduin@flux$ sudo dmesg |grep -i kvm
[    7.894744] kvm: Nested Virtualization enabled
[    7.894840] kvm: Nested Paging enabled

SVM has indeed been enabled!  You did it!  Thank you, thank you thank you!
(And of course the real test, running 64-bit VMs at full speed, works too :^)

I will say, that customized grub BOOTX64.EFI was just about the scariest thing I've ever used, warning I could brick my hardware, calling out a completely different computer by name, just terrifying.  But, "setup_var 0x145 0x01" absolutely did the trick!

For convenience, I'm attaching the file here and spelling out the steps I took:
- use a Lenovo Legion Y720T-34ASU (AMD)!  (any other model is a risk I would not take!)
- extract genius239's rar file to a FAT-formatted USB stick (most are already formatted this way)
- verify the USB drive contains EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI folders and file
- reboot and hit f12 during boot to enter the boot menu
- choose your USB drive, UEFI mode (not legacy)
- at the yellow prompt, enter "setup_var 0x145 0x01" (no quotes, zeroes)
- after the scary yellow warnings, you're done!  ctrl+alt+del and boot normally.

genius239: Thank you!  For a tinkerer like me, this is a great solution.  Naturally, I'm also very curious!  That output, those options you found and highlighted -- how did you figure this out?  What tools and/or documentation did you use?

I still want Lenovo to fix this on their end, of course, but for those of us who are too impatient for that, this is just the workaround we need!

Attached Files
.rar   EFI Shell.rar (Size: 33.02 KB / Downloads: 49)
find
Dam... this actually worked for me too! This one has been driving me crazy. Never again will I buy Lenovo! Thank so much!
find
Hi,

I have the same problem but a different computer (Lenovo Flex 15D, AMD-A6, Win7). This is the closest to a solution I've found on the internet but am quite illiterate when it comes to BIOS mods. I don't want to risk ruining my computer but really need to get virtualization working.

Would these steps work for me? Is there anything that I'd need to change?

Thanks so much for any help,
JR
find
(08-27-2018, 08:54 AM)JohnnyRaylander Wrote: Hi,

I have the same problem but a different computer (Lenovo Flex 15D, AMD-A6, Win7). This is the closest to a solution I've found on the internet but am quite illiterate when it comes to BIOS mods. I don't want to risk ruining my computer but really need to get virtualization working.

Would these steps work for me? Is there anything that I'd need to change?

Thanks so much for any help,
JR

I am no expert either, but here's what I told myself when deciding to risk this operation in the first place (let alone on different hardware).  This is a temporary hack; if one later goes into the BIOS and saves settings, then this hidden KVM flag will be reset.  That suggests that if I were to mess up completely and leave my BIOS unable to boot, popping out and replacing the CMOS battery (coin-sized, visible right on the motherboard) should get the machine back to its stock BIOS configuration, no worse off than when I started.

On a different machine with a different CPU, I would not be confident that this same exact command would work as intended.  But really I have no reason to guess one way or the other -- our BIOSes could be identical for all I know.  I think (I _THINK_!) any trouble you could get yourself into would be reversible by popping the CMOS battery, but I am not speaking from experience, not with this particular trick anyway.

So there's my two cents.  Whether to try it is up to your own judgement, of course.  Lenovo REALLY needs to fix this; I'm not sure what would be our best means to make some noise about this issue, but they can't keep selling modern computers with KVM disabled, it's just ridiculous.
find
Hi I'm trying to enable virtualization and I found this post and have questions.  I have the same desktop pc shown in this post topic here (not the laptop version of this computer which exists with the same naming for some reason) there are two flavors of it this computer as well with the AMD version (Ryzen 7) and Intel version (intel i7, or i5 cpu I think) and then even more variety from that cpu maker split so.... 

I have the same problem as stated above, I do not have the option in my BIOS screen to turn on the AMD virtualization, via enabling AMD-V or AMD SVM or any virtualization option at all in my bios.  Will this file work for me using AMD tech is the question? 

This pc is running Windows 10 Home operating system and not the Windows 10 Pro version that supports using the microsoft virtualization software, so if I don't have the option in bios then even if I buy the Pro version I still wouldn't be able to use virtualization it seems right since no option in bios is a additional question I have come up with trying to solve this lack of an option in bios? 

Anyway pushing on with the Home version the internet says you can run the "Oracle VirtualBox" software v 6.1 using the windows Home version but it gave me an error when I first tried to open a VM.  As I said there is no option in my bios to turn on enable or disable AMD-V, or SMV as it also called. The bios screen on my pc is a standard looking old school bios that nobody on the internet has shown a walk through of how to enable it on this specific computer because it doesn't have the option and also it is not the flashy MSI bios screen or anything else graphical like that with a ton of options it is a simple grey screen bios and or UEFI screen. 

The lenovo website has a 2019 bios update version but doesn't explain what it does.  Their website says the updated bios is 64-bit version 1703 in the title of the computer it is for but the bios file itself is "O3FKT27A" released 10 Apr 2019.  Which makes it a 2 year newer update from the old 2017 bios I think.

link [https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/produ...IOS%2FUEFI]

MY COMPUTER SPECS:
I have a Lenovo Legion Y720T-34ASU, (from around 2020 now discontinued) says it is a "Type 90H9" at the end which is a shorthand for a longer product code as well like 90h9123456789, anyway it is a desktop not a laptop, the Y720 with the T at the end stands for desktop which apparently are not that many sold and it is mostly laptops according to google search.  No idea what the -34ASU, for different versions of which there are 3 I think.  Anyway, the motherboard is a Lenovo 36E1 according to looking it up in the command prompt typing in "systeminfo".  Doing that also shows that under the "Hyper-V Requirements" shows "Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: No" so that is the issue, that cmd info also shows the "VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes" so it is just this bios uefi firmware issue not having the option to turn it on.  There is no info on the net about this motherboard I could easily find.

Other specs of importance here:
It's the AMD version of this computer and not the Intel cpu with Nvidia gpu version, its instead the AMD cpu with AMD gpu, hence when I try to run virtualization virtualbox says "AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS" (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED)... is what it says in the pop up error window, those three things.  It also says in another first error line "Not in a hypervisor partition" (HVP=0) (VERR_NEW_NOT_AVAILABLE)...so those are the errors on first try with virtualbox.

This pc exactly has:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 570
CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 1800x Eight-Core Processor (8 cores)

So it should back in 2020 have had the ability to run a virtual machine but the option is none existent in the bios (again).  It has 8 cpu cores I am in confused as to why this doesn't have virtualization option.  That is other issue here in the oracle virtualbox software it won't let me set more than 1 core it is locked at 1 cpu core so I discovered if you turn on the AMD-V then you can set more than 1 cpu core.

If I run this file posted here on bios-mods on my computer I worry that the file is designed for the intel pc, or the guy says he is using Linux, and it will not work for the amd pc I have?  Will this file patch the bios forever or if I restart or shutdown the pc will I need to run it again?

One other note:
In "Windows Features" a small box with folders to check mark or not that is accessed through the control panel in windows 10 under programs and features on the left side you can get to this box to get to it show a lot of files to check mark or not and the file "Hyper-V" is one of them according to a internet post to solve this issue, but I have HOME version not PRO so my pc instead has a folder titled "Virtual Machine Platform" and then under that another file folder named "Windows Hypervisor Platform" and neither are checked.  I don't yet know what this has to do with anything since there is no bios option to begin with.

The chaos this missing bios is causing is really bizarre like not having a scroll wheel on your mouse.  Every other person on the internet appears to be able to just jump into the bios easily and turn this AMD-V on. I do not want to brick my high end pc using a Intel bios hack on a AMD bios if the 36E1 motherboard isn't the same or some other variety in the product, I have no idea what to do to mod the bios even the Lenovo instructions for their bios update make no sense. Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

find
My system is AMD also. I have been running with that hack working for years now. :^)

The boot image is its own thing, so it doesn't matter what operating system you have installed. You'll be temporarily booting into that utility off a USB stick, performing some quick voodoo on the BIOS, then removing the stick and going back to booting as usual.

https://penduin.blogspot.com/2018/07/bio...egion.html

Again I am no expert, and can offer no guarantees, just my own story and an "it worked for me".
find