Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.64 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST + BOUNTY] Lenovo Thinkpad P14s ...
Last Post: loadit
Today 02:23 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 74
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Today 10:53 AM
» Replies: 845
» Views: 317111
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad E130 (H4ETxxWW...
Today 10:51 AM
» Replies: 509
» Views: 101062
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Today 08:15 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2522
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Today 07:23 AM
» Replies: 139
» Views: 40965
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Today 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 337
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Today 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55312
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64131
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4101
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 02:25 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 6568
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
Yesterday 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 148
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
Yesterday 04:08 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 95
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52216
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: ghostinoss
03-26-2024 09:21 PM
» Replies: 655
» Views: 167185
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Views: 239
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Views: 328
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Whitelist HP DV6-6...
Last Post: DimanTLT63
03-26-2024 03:03 AM
» Views: 145
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion G6-1252ss Whitelis...
Last Post: joseefitness
03-26-2024 01:40 AM
» Views: 126
[REQUEST] Lenovo S310 & S410 (8BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: morgley
03-25-2024 10:43 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 6333
Acer Nitro ANV15-51 Bios Bin File Reques...
Last Post: Papethzkie23
03-25-2024 06:04 PM
» Views: 138

(UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
Yes correct on both counts.

1. There seem to be 2 checksums. One is as Ahmad has mentioned and is calculated automatically by andy,s tool. The other seems to be nvidia specific, because you seem to have been able to modify the text for the Phoenix title without any checksums.

2. I got the vbios from guru's files. They are the same as found in my vbios files. This also means that the poster on guru3d most likely knows how to add the correct checksum for each vbios file as well. But I haven't asked so I'm not sure Smile

As u might tell I'm typing this from my phone so apos for any abbreviations Smile I also can't test anything for now so good luck if u manage to progress with anything!

Cheers
Jkbuha
find
Thanks a lot Smile
The checksum inside the vbios module could be easily modified as i mentioned in my previous replt .
you just knew the location of the checksum bit inside the module .
Then normally modify the module .
After finished modifying , check the new checksum using hexeditor or chk8 tool .
Replace the old checksm bit with the new one you get from the tool .

And andys tool adjust the other checksum .
You can now easily modify any vbios Wink

Thank you , good luck in your doctorate Smile
Ahmed

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Smile
find
(12-30-2011, 07:01 AM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: Thanks a lot Smile
The checksum inside the vbios module could be easily modified as i mentioned in my previous replt .
After finished modifying , check the new checksum using hexeditor or chk8 tool .

Ahmed

That's great - thanks for the helpful advice and the well wishes!

I've found a tool called NiBiTor (Nvidia BIOS Editor) which apparently does all we need including changing the correct checksum. So kasar - if you need to overvolt your board all you need to do in theory is change hex 5f (the default voltage = 0.95V) to a higher value, calculate the new checksum with NiBiTor and modify the final byte of the file accordingly. Let me know if you have any success in this - otherwise when I get back to my laptop I'll compile a full L502x BIOS with new GPU for you to try out Smile

With this done we should be able to do everything we want with the Nvidia Video BIOS. Next step is to unlock our hidden settings.

Cheers
jkbuha

find
(12-30-2011, 07:01 AM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: Thanks a lot Smile

Ahmed

thank you both again, so as far I understand, the phoenix tool already modify by automatic the checkum stored at the small files ahmed talked about.

didnt found anything named chk8, but found check8, I supose it is the same app
CHECK8.ZIP (11K)
Tuesday, August 10, 1999

seems to run only on 32 bits OS (doesnt work on my win 7 ultimate x64), so I had to use vmware to run it using a win xp sp3 32 bits virtual macine

however it didnt helped me a lot

Quote:E:\DOCUME~1\kasar>E:\test\CHECK8.EXE E:\test\test.ROM

CHECK8 Version 1.03
Copyright © 1995 Programix Corp.
Portions copyright © 1991-1995 BITWARE.
All rights reserved.
Calculating checksum from 0x00000000 to 0x0000FDFF
Checksum = 0x00 +(0x00)
checksum 0x00? Huh
maybe something is wrong with the app, or virtual machine.

well I think nbitor 6.03 seemed to help. I found quite easy to modify the voltages and checksum over there, look at the process:
I open the unmodified file, as you can see the checksum appears good

[Image: 18386856.jpg]

I modify the voltage to 0.98 from 0.95

[Image: 19402672.jpg]

after the changes, you can see the checksum changed, and the integrity appears on yellow color.

[Image: 40039918.jpg]

however after save the file, nbitor modify the checksum too.
[Image: 34916552.jpg]

however my problem is not that one, tried to flash the vbios from this topic even without modifing them and still got the problem.
I noticed the bioses from there uses a newer firmware than the one from the latest dell update.

I will try to flash the ones I am modifing now with nbitor, but I dont expect a lot since I never a sucess while flashing the ones from that link even without modifing them.
(12-30-2011, 09:38 AM)jkbuha Wrote: That's great - thanks for the helpful advice and the well wishes!

I've found a tool called NiBiTor (Nvidia BIOS Editor) which apparently does all we need including changing the correct checksum. So kasar - if you need to overvolt your board all you need to do in theory is change hex 5f (the default voltage = 0.95V) to a higher value, calculate the new checksum with NiBiTor and modify the final byte of the file accordingly. Let me know if you have any success in this - otherwise when I get back to my laptop I'll compile a full L502x BIOS with new GPU for you to try out Smile

With this done we should be able to do everything we want with the Nvidia Video BIOS. Next step is to unlock our hidden settings.

Cheers
jkbuha

lol, I didnt saw your post :O
seems I took a little longer cuz the pics and testing hehe.

well, glad we both saw it Smile

nah, dont worry about doing the L502X stuff, I want to do it by myself, for two reasons, I want to learn how to do it, and the second is that I have a lot of modifications in mind, and If everything goes nice I want to relase some versions at the forums, with modified clocks, voltage, to let the ppl choose the one they want, and maybe post custom ones by previus request and when i get the nvidia vbios subject done, i will start with the splash logo thing.

I definitly want to hack this bios in deep, not just the vbios

for now I just need help getting the modified vbioses to work instead getting windows unable to recognize the card
find
huh?, something must be wrong, it. it... worked?

jkbuha and ahmed, you guys rocks Big Grin

picked the original vbios of my laptop, "nibited" it to overvolt to 0.98v, assembled it again, and it works!!!!, woot, I feel so happy, I want to jump, dance, shout! xDD

[Image: 78478495.jpg]
[Image: Chuck_Norris_Approves.gif]

glad I didnt gave up Big Grin, your signature helped me with that ahmed ^^

now I want to flash the updated vbios from the another topic, I guess if I save them with the nbitor editor, I may have luck too Smile
find
managed to get it working using the same video firmware version extracted from the latest dell update.

however downloaded the modded bios from jkbuha modded bios, extracted the vbios (70.08.56.00.0A), newer firmware than mine.

but replacing the vbios file on with the newer vbios version just seems to not work, did you had that version at your laptop at the begining, or got the newer version after the mod.

not sure what I'm doing wrong again :/

edit: noticed the subsystem ID is different, modified it, testing ...
find
Great news kasar!

My Vbios had the older firmware previously and worked fine when I upgraded it to the newer version (ending in A). Seems that the only issue was the checksum bit from my end. Have you managed to upgrade the vbios to the latest version?

I also noticed you posted the modded BIOS files on notebookreview - congrats mate and well done Smile with regards to the 2d vs 3d voltages I'm assuming you modified the fermi levels for the various steps (0.83 for level 0 and 0.98 for level 4)?

Just to let you know I'm going to be looking at something more risky over the next few days - using Phoenix bios editor to modify some of the hidden bios menus Wink we really need a proper UEFI recovery process ASAP!

Oh and have a good NYE y'all!

Cheers
Jkbuha
find
(12-31-2011, 07:17 AM)jkbuha Wrote: Great news kasar!

My Vbios had the older firmware previously and worked fine when I upgraded it to the newer version (ending in A). Seems that the only issue was the checksum bit from my end. Have you managed to upgrade the vbios to the latest version?

I also noticed you posted the modded BIOS files on notebookreview - congrats mate and well done Smile with regards to the 2d vs 3d voltages I'm assuming you modified the fermi levels for the various steps (0.83 for level 0 and 0.98 for level 4)?

Just to let you know I'm going to be looking at something more risky over the next few days - using Phoenix bios editor to modify some of the hidden bios menus Wink we really need a proper UEFI recovery process ASAP!

Oh and have a good NYE y'all!

Cheers
Jkbuha
hey , yep, i posted some bioses there Smile

well, I didnt had sucess while trying to include the newer vbios firmware. just with the stock firmware, saving the file with nbitor didnt helped, did you had to hexedit something manually? (I just used nbitor at the vbios), the problem is that flashing your vbios even unmodified didnt worked for me, something must be wrong.

modifing the OLD/stock firmware with nbitor was the only thing wich worked for me,
if you can share al the steeps you did to be able to flash the newer firmware update with more info, such as screens, hex positions, or more, I would be greatly pleased.
really interested at the new firmware update.

yeah, we definitly need propper recovery process, I think we are playing too much with the risk factor, and something can be easly goes wrong, specially when we are flashing several times daily, I just consider me lucky (for the moment)

I hope ahmed or others will give us a hand with that.

I didnt had so much luck with phenox bios editor, got seeveral errors while tryong to open the bios, "invalid rom lenght" were the one I got more frecuently, if you have more luck, let me know plz ^^

about the 2d 3d profiles, yep, I modified the fermi voltages

refering the 2d , I modified the P3 and P7 perfmodes
and for the 3d one I modified the P15

is this correct?

find
(12-31-2011, 08:31 AM)kasar Wrote: well, I didnt had sucess while trying to include the newer vbios firmware. just with the stock firmware, saving the file with nbitor didnt helped, did you had to hexedit something manually? (I just used nbitor at the vbios), the problem is that flashing your vbios even unmodified didnt worked for me, something must be wrong.

modifing the OLD/stock firmware with nbitor was the only thing wich worked for me,
if you can share al the steeps you did to be able to flash the newer firmware update with more info, such as screens, hex positions, or more, I would be greatly pleased.
really interested at the new firmware update.

yeah, we definitly need propper recovery process, I think we are playing too much with the risk factor, and something can be easly goes wrong, specially when we are flashing several times daily, I just consider me lucky (for the moment)

I hope ahmed or others will give us a hand with that.

I didnt had so much luck with phenox bios editor, got seeveral errors while tryong to open the bios, "invalid rom lenght" were the one I got more frecuently, if you have more luck, let me know plz ^^

about the 2d 3d profiles, yep, I modified the fermi voltages

refering the 2d , I modified the P3 and P7 perfmodes
and for the 3d one I modified the P15

is this correct?

I've attached the settings I used. Basically - if you cannot flash a non-modified vbios file (with new firmware) but you can modify existing firmware then i suspect there is a problem with the newer firmware not working on your hardware. I could be wrong though - let me know if my settings work.

.jpg   PhoenixTool.jpg (Size: 251.82 KB / Downloads: 45)

I think you're right about PBE. I also suspect our BIOS is PhoenixAward in which case it most likely needs to be modded with Award s/w, not Phoenix. @Ahmed - do you have any insight on this? Smile

Yes the Fermi voltage settings are correct. That said it would be good to run some 3Dmark tests on both 2d and 3d to determine if (1) the VID is correctly set at 2d/3d (2) there are no issues with undervolting

Cheers
jkbuha
find
ok, I will try to reasembly the bios with your phoenix bios settings (dont expect too much changes in the result anyway), however I was more refering to the way you edited your vbios file, the one is 64 kb, I mean with nbitor, the changes you made from the original newer vbios you downloaded from the other site.

the card is suposed to be the same, the firmware size is also identical from the new and current version.

I just dont know what i'm doing wrong or why my laptop hates the 70.08.56.00.0A firmware, also doing the firmware update would get more ppl interested on the bios mod than just modding the voltags on the old firmware.

and yep, the recovery method is HIGHLY required, sooner or later my luck with the flashing will end at the most unexpected form.
[Image: vbioses.jpg]
here is a comparation between the two bioses

the one from the left is yours, and the one from the right is mine.

I noticed the subsystem ID is different, what subsystem id did you had at the original bios came at your laptop bios? (the old vbios version)

also noticed the voltage table is different, even setting identical fermi voltages for both vbioses

[Image: vbioses2.png]

I must get this working >-<

thanks for the help .)
find