Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: MSI PM8M-V & Mobile P4 3.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I am new to the site, so here it goes...

I have a MSI PM8M-V Motherboard
and im trying to run a Mobile P4 3.2ghz processor.

The system boots fine but it is only running at half speed 1.6ghz.

I can't adjust the V Core in the bios, any suggestions to getting this to run at full speed (3.2 vs 1.6).

Current System Information:
Phoenix-Award Bios v 6.00pg
PM8M-V W7104VMS V2.3 11 21 05 09:49:25

11/21/05-P4M800-8237-6A7L2MTJC-00

Link to MSI Site for PM8M-V
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=205
As this is a mobile chip theres a high chance it supports Speedstepping , which is a feature that lowers the multiplier when the CPU is idle in order to save power and extend battery life (as mobile chips are used mainly in laptops)

Have a look in the bios to see if theres an options to disable Speedstep. If there isnt , run CPU-Z in Windows and then launch several programs or something thats CPU intensive (olike video playback or a game). Watch the CPU-Z readouts and if the chips using speedstep you will see the clock speed jump up to 3.2ghz when the CPU is being used. If you close everything and not launch anything , the speed will drop back to the 1.6ghz

This is only a suggestion - theres also a chance your bios may need a microcode update in order to correctly identify and set the multiplier on the chip. But its always best to do the easiest thing first! Tongue (Actually , please confirm by entering the BIOS , does it detect the chip correctly)

Regards
Admin
Update: This board uses live update , hence there are no BIOs files available , just in case you need a bios mod please can you run tihs utility to backup a copy of your current BIOS and attach it to your post or upload it online .

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747181/Universal...Backup.EXE

Thanks
Admin
[attachment=500][attachment=501]

Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached the CPU-Z log & a backup copy of the Bios. I tried launching multiple applications, but i dont have too much installed as i just installed windows. But it would not go over 1600.9 mhz even under load.

On the post screen it shows up as a Intel Geniune Processor 1.60, but in windows & cpu-z shows as 3.2 ghz Mobile P4 running at 1.6ghz.

The core was at 1.232.

Thanks, Brian
Hi Mate Big Grin

Is this your CPU? - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details...Spec=SL77R If so it has a CPU ID string of 0F29 but this doesnt make sense as your motherboard bios already has a microcode entry for this CPU string.

I have to go out now but i will continue this when i get home again

Regards
Admin
Hey,

That is the one, just pulled it to confirm. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Brian
(05-02-2010, 06:46 PM)briangartner Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

That is the one, just pulled it to confirm. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Brian

run attached cpu stress test. If anything will step up the cpu this will.

Nick
Hey Nick,

Tried the app. w/ no luck, i monitored the speed in CPU-Z and it would not go over 1600.9 mhz.

In the post screen of the bios the computer identifies it as a
Geniune Intel Processor 1.6ghz w/ a FSB of 133mhz x 12 Multiplier & a vcore around 1.2.

Does the bios need a update to see this model proceesor??

Can the vcore setting be unlocked to change it to 1.5 and run the chip at full power??

There is no option for speedstep in my bios, is there a driver for XP??

Thanks, Brian
If theres no speedstep option then its not possible to switch it off i dont think Sad - Just checked intels website and it looks like this processor doesnt support speedstep anyway!

Check your bios first - have you got any overclocking options? Will it let you change the multiplier or FSB manually?

Admin
(05-03-2010, 06:38 PM)1234s282 Wrote: [ -> ]If theres no speedstep option then its not possible to switch it off i dont think Sad - Just checked intels website and it looks like this processor doesnt support speedstep anyway!

Check your bios first - have you got any overclocking options? Will it let you change the multiplier or FSB manually?

Admin

EVidently bios just doesnt support it. see link

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=96017.0;wap2

Nick
Pages: 1 2