Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Biostar A780L3 (AMD 760) FX-8230e AGESA update?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys. This is my first post here. I usually read this forum and download tools from this site, so this is the first time opening a thread. 

I recently received a brand new FX-8230e CPU as a gift, and I was hoping to use it in my SFF PC currently running an aging Athlon X4 620. The motherboard I have is a Biostar A780L3, and official CPU support ends at the 125w Phenom X6 series - no FX cpu support from Biostar

After a little research I found out there are AMD 760 chipset boards that support the FX series CPUs - from Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock, so I took matters into my own hands and attempted to insert AGESA v6.1.0.0 microcode into the latest BIOS.

The Good: The machine Posted normally with the Athlon X4, displaying CMOS Checksum bad. This went away after I reset CMOS.
The Bad: It still won't POST with the FX-8230e Sad

What did I do wrong? Does the BIOS need more then the AGESA microcode? 

Below you can find the motherboard's original bios (OLD.ROM) , the latest bios from Biostar's website (LATEST.BIN - I renamed it for convenience), and the bios I inserted AGESA microcode into (780FXV1.BIN). The board uses AMI bios.

Can someone help get the FX-8320e working on this board?

[attachment=10103] - old bios I was running on the board

[attachment=10101] - latest bios off the biostar website

[attachment=10102] - latest bios with AGESA v6.1.0.0 added by me with MMTOOL.

I know the rules require me to post a screenshot from Aida64 CPUID page, but seeing as I don't own a board that can post with the AMD FX cpu, I don't see how I could do that. What I can give you is what's written on the CPU I want to use:

AMD FX™
FD832EWMW8KHK
FA 1531PGS
Y883244H50508

Aditional info from CPU-World:
Core: Vishera
Core stepping: OR-C0
CPUID: 600F20

I can post a screenshot of the CPUID page running the Athlon X4 CPU, but I don't see how that would help...
Can someone tell me if it is at least possible - or should I just save up and buy a new board?
I think it's impossible.
(01-07-2016, 11:21 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's impossible.

Crap. Oh well, new MB it is. Thanks for the help anyway.
(01-07-2016, 01:21 PM)kanecvr Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2016, 11:21 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's impossible.

Crap. Oh well, new MB it is. Thanks for the help anyway.

There's actually a physical reason this won't work.  FX series uses a 3.4 MHz VID while AM3 socket can only handle a 400 KHz VID.  There's an additional pin used for this, and unless your board is marked as an AM3+ board, the manufacturer hasn't soldered the connection in the socket.