Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Adding Xeon X3323 support to a Compaq 8000 Elite USDT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone, I'm trying to add support for the X3323 to the Compaq 8000 Elite USDT (Q45 chipset) and hit a small hiccup. I followed the guide here, opened the rom in a hex editor and overwrote the microcode for cpuid 01067a with the corresponding 01067a for 771 cpus. I've attached both the original and my edited bios below.

When I passed the old and the new rom through intelmicrocodelist.exe I got this result:
[attachment=13787]

Which seems to be alright, but when I tried to flash the rom using the patched HPQFlash the program attempts to flash it 4 times before failing and rolling back to the original rom. I'm not sure if I edited it incorrectly or if it's a problem with the patched HPQFlash.

HP's website also provides a DOS flasher (flashBin.exe). Should I attempt to flash the rom using that instead of HPQFlash? FlashBin also seems to be able to update microcode. Would it be possible to add the microcode using that (or overwrite an existing one)?

Here's the system running a C2D E7300. Thanks for any input  Big Grin
[attachment=13788][attachment=13789]
Code:
x3323
-----
sSpec    Stepping    CPUID
SLBC5    R0        1067A
7A 06 01 00
-----------------------------
E7300
-----
sSpec    Stepping    CPUID
SLAPB    M0        10676
76 06 01 00
Explain exactly what happens when you try to boot with Xeon X3323 on this motherboard.
Sorry I had trouble getting taking the internal metal cage out. I popped in the x3323 and when I turn it on I simply get a blank screen. The dvd-rom briefly spins up and then after about 10 seconds the cpu fan starts blowing like a vacuum cleaner. The screen is blank throughout this and I have to hold down the power button to power the computer off.
This BIOS use proprietary format and has digital sing. You can't edit it by hex-editor.
You can update microcode by other method, but you need to boot with Xeon in DOS.
No other way.
Ah that sucks. I take it you can only update microcode for processors that are already supported. Thanks for looking into it.