Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: SL8MA Support on SuperMicro X6DHE-XB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Can the SL8MA support be added to the SuperMicro X6DHE-XB?

I have included the bios for the X6DAi-G2 that supports the SL8MA and the X6DHE-XB that does not include support.

These boards\bios's appear to be very similar. I think the cpuid for SL8MA is 0F48h.

I put both SL8MA to my X6DHE-XB but bios says physical count : 1, only 1 cpu detected and windows 7 detects also 1 cpu/2 cores/4 threads.

Is it possible to add SL8MA cpu support to my old server? I have read through previous postings and saw that it have been done on an Iwill DH800 motherboard.

If anything else is needed in order to do this, please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

~jonnyboy

***EDIT***
I have found a blog post that shows how to add the microcode to the bios. I will be setting up a 32-bit OS and attempt this a little later this evening. I will post back my success or failure.

The tools listed would not extract the bios, so I'll keep looking. I would very much appreciate any help.

UPDATE...
I am trying another bios that is very similar but supports the dual core SL8MA cpu's. It does not have all of the PCI-x support, but it is a start.
Should have been more patient. I think that now I will need a new chip. More reading ahead.
I have tried the Crisis Recovery Tool with no success, the computer powers up, but not lights on keyboard or fdd. It looks like I will have to wait for a replacement chip.
Anyone have any ideas?
Sorry for the long delay , i've been on holiday!! Big Grin

Here is the SuperMicro X6DHE-XB bios with the microcode from the X6DAi-G2

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747181/SuperMicr...34s282.zip

Try at your own risk. i look forward to receiving your feedback Big Grin

Regards
Admin
Thank you. I will try later this week. I need to wait for a new chip.
It did not work as posted. I should say, it booted the same as stock, the first CPU is used - both cores plus HT, the second CPU is not recognized.

I tried adding a few lines to the ACPI and retried it.

This:
Scope(_PR) {
Processor(CPU0,0x00,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU1,0x01,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU2,0x02,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU3,0x03,0x00000000,0x00){}
}

To:
Scope(_PR) {
Processor(CPU0,0x00,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU1,0x01,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU2,0x02,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU3,0x03,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU4,0x04,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU5,0x05,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU6,0x06,0x00000000,0x00){}
Processor(CPU7,0x07,0x00000000,0x00){}
}

This caused a failure to boot. I am very new to modding so, I obviously did something wrong. I used Phoenix Bios Editor to edit and save the changes. Any advice or suggestions. I have additional bios chips, so I can continue testing changes.

Thank you
In my initial posting, I made an error. Instead of doing the proper research, I used information from another post for the for the details of the alternate bios. After your modded bios failed, I did my own research and found that the posted bios does not have support for the dual core SL8MA CPU's.

The original bios is from the SuperMicro X6DHE-XB board. {Download BIOS}
The alternate bios is from the SuperMicro X6DHE-G2+ board. It shows the correct CPU that I am tryng to add and is using the same chipset. {Download BIOS}

The CPUID remains the same at 0F48h.

This time, I am certain that the information is correct. Could you please assist with another mod?

Thank you
Ive updated the download link with the new rom containing the microcode from the X6DHE-G2+

Try at your own risk!

Good luck!

Admin
(04-03-2011, 07:54 AM)1234s282 Wrote: [ -> ]Ive updated the download link with the new rom containing the microcode from the X6DHE-G2+

Try at your own risk!

Good luck!

Admin

Thank you for your efforts. I tried this one also. It still boots the same way. It sees and recognizes CPU0, both cores and the hyper threads. It still does not use or see the CPU1. I again tried adding the additional CPU's in the ACPI file with no luck. I am learning as I go and will keep trying anything that you have the time to offer.

Thank you
Hello,

I found an explanation of how to insert the microcode. I followed it, exactly. It boots, but still does not allow for the second cpu. I then added the additional cpu's into the ACPI, with the same results.
Is there anything else within the bios that may need to be edited? All of the help has been greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Can anyone tell me what each of the different roms, inside the bios, does? Or, point me to a reference page that can explain the roms? I am trying to see where the cpu's are being referenced and what is different in the 2 bios'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Hi, I hope something happened in the year 2011 Wink
Now, I have a problem like you, but my mobo is the x6dhe-g, and I bought 2 paxvilles (SL8MA), too. Or is there anything else wrong with our boards whatfor they don't support the new CPU's?
I hope everybody can understand... Sorry, I come from Germany Wink
Well i've given the mod one more update , the microcode entry for 0F48 cpu's was in the donor bios and not in the original and i've managed to merge it into the original bios now.

Good luck! - Same download link

Admin
Pages: 1 2 3