Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 CPU Support Upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(08-19-2010, 12:15 PM)ej52 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all

I looked into GA-M59SLI-S5 today and there is no doubt that it can handle the
955/965 but it would be in the same boat as the ASUS M2N series.

The reason the GA-M57SLI-S4 supports AM3 is due to it having a 3+1 phase design

I will also have a look at modding the GA-M59SLI-S5 bios if people are willing 2 test Smile

Thanks
Ej52

(08-19-2010, 01:03 PM)ej52 Wrote: [ -> ]I mean the GA-M59SLI-S5 will have the same problem as the M2N series
which requires you to set the CPU with software(Nvidia System Tools) due
to the board only having a single power plane.

That sounds to me as if the GA-M57SLI-S4 does have dual-powerplanes while the GA-M59SLI-S5 does not. I thought no AM2 board (without the "+") does have dual-powerplanes?

I'm interested on the matter because I'm trying to determine what CPU I can dare to try on my Abit KN9 Ultra if get it successfuly modded here. I'd like to use a Phenom II X4 955BE, but I discovered no nForce5 board that is certified for more than 945 95W.
(08-20-2010, 05:23 PM)Tigerfox Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds to me as if the GA-M57SLI-S4 does have dual-powerplanes while the GA-M59SLI-S5 does not. I thought no AM2 board (without the "+") does have dual-powerplanes?

It seems like the GA-M57SLI-S4/GA-M57SLI-DS4 do have dual-powerplanes
how that is possible i do not know :p but they only have official support for
95watt CPU's, all 125w/140w are displayed as N/A on CPU support page.

Even the GA-M52L-S3P/GA-M52LT-S3P/GA-M52LT-D3 which all support x6
only have official support for 95watt CPU's and these all use the MCP65.

This has all come as a surprise to me as i don't really follow GIGABYTE :p

Regards
Ej52

But why should the GA-M57SLI-S4 have dual-powerplanes while, as you said, the Asus M2N Series doesn't. The support exactly the same CPUs by now.
How do I determine if a board has a single or dual-powerplane?
Here is a proposed test BIOS that should ONLY be flashed IF you have a spare BIOS chip. I attempted upgrading AGESA to 3.7 with latest NCPUCODE.BIN

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/Bios/m59slis5cpu3.bin

TheWiz
any updates? I have a smt soldering class this winter, if I can find another bios chip I'll be willing to be the guinea pig that is if noone has tried your bios yet wiz.
I'll continue working on the BIOS but I think it would be prudent to try that BIOS once I give the go ahead.

Thanks,
TheWiz
sounds good, I'll be looking forward to that.
If the bios bricks my board, will the Dual bios allow me to revert to the original bios?
I have the GA-M59SLI-S5 that I intend to run with a Phenom II 710.
Normally this is the intention of a DUAL-BIOS... Big Grin
Good luck!
(11-06-2010, 01:59 PM)MrTangoWhisky Wrote: [ -> ]Normally this is the intention of a DUAL-BIOS... Big Grin
Good luck!

Just making sure seeing how TheWiz Said to only try it if you have the ability to replace a bricked bios chip.
I'll test the bios out Monday or Tuesday, OCing results later in the week if it works. (the 710 can do 3.5 in my GA-MA790X-UD4P)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6