Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Acer Aspire T180 (MCP61SM-AM): new CPU support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
new member here Smile

I have an acer t180 that i've been upgrading, but now having cpu issues...
mobo: mcp61sm-am (sticker) mcp61pm-am (printed, under sticker), HT2000 rev 1.0
BIOS: R01-C0
Ram: 4x1GB Kingston pc6400
powersupply: thermaltake 600watt
2 case fans, 1 front 1 rear, mobo controlled

currently I have the original amd athlon 64 3500+ am2 processor installed, and it works flawlessly. I bought an athlon 64 x2 6000+ (ADX6000IAA6CZ) on ebay (used) and it's having all sorts of major issues. I have multiple OS's on seperate HD's all set up for this pc, vista home basic 32bit, vista business 32bit, 7 ultimate 32bit, 7 ultimate 64bit, xp pro 32 bit.
after installing the 6000+, the bios recognized it fine, listing it normally during bootup. xp pro works amazingly with it right away, even reinstalled fresh with the 6000+ installed and it worked flawlessly there too.
both versions of vista and 7 would boot through bios fine, seeing the 6000+ fine, it booted fully 1 single time fine. then a shutdown/reboot and it'd have issues. bios loaded fine, then soon as it starts to read from the HD to boot windows, it would either lock within 2 seconds and crank all 3 fans to full speed, or it would get system failure and reboot, and just keep repeating this process, never to boot again. If I unplug the pc and let it sit for 24 hours or more, it would boot fine once, then do the above again. even if I let it sit unplugged for like 6 hours, it'd still do the above issues. only 24+ hours unplugged would let it boot ok.

tried doing fresh installs of vista and 7, and that wouldnt even work. it would start loading the files from the cd, then soon as it went to scan the HD to begin the process, it'd lock up or reboot.
after all of this, I put the 3500+ back in, and all OS install fine and run amazingly well, just slower than I want :p

weird thing is the 6000+ works flawless with xp pro 32bit sp3, but has these issues with vista and 7 like clockwork.

soooooo my question is: is it possible the cpu is fried? or is something with my setup not compatible with it when using vista and/or 7?
also if someone could please answer:
how do i flash the bios? i read the tutorial which describes for award, ami, and pheonix, but says "NOT pheonix-award" which is what my pc says. i figured i'd try it as if it was award, but it wont read a flashdrive or a cd that is set up the way it describes in the tutorial. says "no bootable removable device found" and "no bootable cd found".
the acer-supplied winflash way does NOT work.

EDIT: nvm this post, i used flashcd from bootdisk.com and ultraiso to make a bootable cd, worked like a charm
Wow this is really interesting. we can see a screenshot of CPU-Z, please?

(05-14-2011, 04:55 AM)onlyfairings2 Wrote: [ -> ]Wow this is really interesting. we can see a screenshot of CPU-Z, please?

of which processor with which OS? cuz I cant get the 6000+ to boot into any version of vista or 7
below are cpu-z screenshots of the cpu and mobo tabs of the 6000+ 125w in xp pro sp3 using the oem acer r01-c0 bios.
[attachment=2096][attachment=2095]

in a few minutes I'll post pics of the 3500+ in vista

below is the cpu-z screenshot of the 3500+ installed in the same pc with vista business 32bit

[attachment=2094]

what do you gurus make of this? need better bios? 6000+ cpu fried? something incompatible? I'm stumped, and so is my neighbor who is a tech for Dell.
I just dont get why the 6000+ works flawlessly with xp pro sp3, but wont allow vista or 7 to boot or install fresh. I want to use a 6000+ with a non-ancient ver of windows darnit!! :p
ok, dub me as NUB now, I installed the ABIT Unlocked BIOS, and now everything works flawlessly with the 6000+ windsor 125w cpu! I've never seen Vista run so d@mn fast before! below is a cpu-z screenshot of the 6000+ in vista business 32bit
this bios is operating as if it were meant for my acer aspire t180 mcp61sm-am mobo!
[attachment=2097]
ok, so I'm having issues installing windows 7. I cant tell if this board just isnt compatible with 7, or if the disc I'm using is bad. I've tried 64bit and 32bit, and the install on both had to be done a couple times cuz it'd reboot when it's not supposed to during the install. And once I did get each version to install without a hiccup, then it would reboot while running on the desktop, sometimes before reboot would show a funky confetti lookin blue striped screen for a second.

is anyone else running windows 7 without any issues on their t180?
ok, so I'm having issues installing windows 7. I cant tell if this board just isnt compatible with 7, or if the disc I'm using is bad. I've tried 64bit and 32bit, and the install on both had to be done a couple times cuz it'd reboot when it's not supposed to during the install. And once I did get each version to install without a hiccup, then it would reboot while running on the desktop, sometimes before reboot would show a funky confetti lookin blue striped screen for a second.

is anyone else running windows 7 without any issues on their t180?
nope runs fine on my board, could it be a video card problem or it could just be the display refreshing while installing the stock drivers for your card. btw are you using the stock psu with the 6000+ because I took my board out and put in a large case with a 650w psu ages ago and i'm using the 6400+

[Image: 2zof2w5.jpg]
Have you upgraded your Video card as well? If so what are you using? I am trying to upgrade my T180 to be a gaming PC for my son. I would appreciate any recommendations anyone might have. The big question is can I use one of the newer pcie 2.1 cards on the same motherboard that you have listed here.

For windows 7 install issues with the ABIT BIOS, make sure HPET is enabled, and the floppy controller is disabled, that was a major resolution for others with slow Windows 7 upgrades with that BIOS.

For the video card, I know a single slot ATI 4850 would be a nice price range, perormance, and stability with that particular computer, especially the single slot model that HIS made. They are hard to find online, but is definitely a good gaming card for this motherboard.

TheWiz
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6