Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: (UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
:o, then I am not done yet

yeah, if you was able to reach that high OC, without even touch the ME, there must be something else I can do with mine.

can you post your OC info?

like what is your current proccesor.

its stock proccesor speed (with no turbo)

and the values you modded with also the final cpu frecuency after OC

also all people said you cant mod the BCLK over 105 without issues on most motherboards because it also mess another timmings like sata, pcie and other stuff.

I must be missing something

it is funny to know that the 15z wich is like a simple and slim xps 15 without some features included improved cooling have better OC than mine Big Grin
To be fair mate, it's comparing apples and oranges for now, as you & I have done it through two different ways. Hopefully you'll manage to boot up OSX using your method and run geekbench in the same way I did, or even better, I manage to soft-mod the ME and/or boot up Win in UEFI mode via clover as well Smile

So here are my stats:

i7-2620m (dual not quad processor) - 2.7GHz stock speed, 3.4GHz with turbo.
O/C'd with Clover to 125MHz bus speed (ie: 25% o/c) - now running at 3.375GHz stock, 4.0GHz turbo

Geekbench Score:
100MHz FSB -> 7415
125MHz FSB -> 9242

Otherwise everything seems to be running fine @125MHz FSB. Important to note that FSB (not only Turbo) is increased, so in theory you should see similar performance increases.
the problem is that having almost the same hardware , I can only do 105 bclk while you get 125 without issues.

you must be locking some hardware clocks wich interfers with bclk so u can push it higher.

I must to know what are your hardware clock settings, so I can replicate your settings and make a modded ME image so I can OC natively any OS.

clover isnt working for windows 7, thats why it doesnt seems a valid option for me.

if a piece of software like clover can do cool stuff like that, then must be a way to make it too with ME, BIOS or even other software :o
sure thing kasar - let me know what info you need from me (and also how to extract it) so I'll send it over to you.

but i'd also suggest you make a linux livecd such as ubuntu 14 (which correctly boots uefi mode, unlike mint or ubuntu 13 for example) and clover bootusb, and experiment with booting into linux uefi under clover to run some benchmarks of your own as well - that way you'll get to try out clover for yourself as well.
mmm, I would say you run cct / cctwin commands I ran on previous pages, but since you arent using windows. i dont know how you can get those outputs.

also running alternatives to cpuz on osx may provide also some little information, not sure.

well, I will flash more tests with FITC trying to unlock more stuff
I can run windows, but only on normal (ie: FSB=100) speeds. Clover doesn't work in legacy mode for windows 8, at least on our dell laptops.

I have a utility called cpu-x (it's a clone of cpuz) but it says the same things: core speed = 3375MHz, multiplier = 33.5.

On a related note, I'm shortly going to be dismantling the laptop to replace the screen. If anyone can show me where the HDA chip is (or even what it looks like), so I'll try and short pins 1 and 5, it would be greatly appreciated Big Grin
yeah, booting windows with stock values and non modded me firmware isnt the best I think.

well, your multiplier is 33, where if your stock frecuency should be on 27, I suspect turboboost is giving u a hand in there.

can you try disabling turbo in the modded bios option and check if you can going over 27 multiplier?

check also the bclk/fsb with cpu-x

about hardware modding, I have no idea where the HDA chip could be, so if you can take HD pics of all suspicius chips from your mobo and post them here, I'm sure CR will be able to give us a hand Smile

also, if you decide to going to modding the bios chip like I did, I can help you with the procedure, remember having the whole chip image saved my [censored] several times, cause if you [censored] descriptor or ME sections, no bios recovery cdrom will save your [censored] and you will need motherboard replacement.

thats why I think hardware programer is a must have for this project, it make things easier and also allow us to work way safer than risking the whole machine after each flash, specially if we are messing with another regions than just BIOS.
With turbo disabled I can still clock 125MHz. Max speed is 3375MHz, not 4000MHz as was with turbo. So the FSB can still be set to 125MHz, but obviously I get lower max clock speeds because turbo is disabled.

Once I boot to win i'll run some cctwin dumps but they will be run in 100MHz mode.
ok, thanks, I will compare it then.

the question is why your multiplier is 33

it should be 27

27 x 100 = 2700mhz
27 x 125 = 3375 mhz

however if your multiplier would be 33

it would something like

33 x 125 = 4125 mhz (wich it seems with turbo)

so if you can ensure your multi is 27 while you have turbo disabled it would be nice.

also there is no way you can get 125 using bclk (reference clock only), you must have unlinked clocks or something into separate frecuencies.

any chance you can share your clover config?

I think there was a txt or xml file, not sure

oh, as for the electronics, there is something at this topic, they also talk about implementing XTU full support on another laptops
http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo-sager...5-xtu.html
worth to read I think ^^
(01-27-2013, 10:42 AM)jkbuha Wrote: [ -> ]Also over the last week my 1080p LCD screen has developed an annoying screen bleed which apparently is a known defect on these WLED truelife screens. It seems to be increasing so most likely I'll have to get a screen replacement as well - which brings me to why I've posted it here...if I find a cheapish 2560x1600 or 2880x1800 15.6" screen with a right-side 40" connector, using our new unlocked v2158 bios it may be a good idea to think about a naughty mod upgrade Big Grin

Can you tell us more about this kind of LCD provider. I also would like to upgrade my 1080 screen with smth. 2880x1800