Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: (UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cool, so now we just wait ..
well, today I recived a email and it said it was being shipped, maybe those asian people are fast Smile

oh, I though about any other posible benefict about having several bios chips.

since I will add a dip8 socket, I may able to have several flashed chips.

for example, I can allways have one with a sticker on the chip wich says "backup", so I allways carry the laptop with a working bios chip in my pocket in case I flash crap on the attached one.

that will allways have a working bios, so if I travel, I will dont have to worry about a brick.

and others I can go for testing Smile

also, if the wires support it, I would love to add the 8 dip socket in the place the old programer port was.

replacing the chip would be as easy as remove a ram module, that would be like a dream to bios modding at the safe way and fast Smile
I may also be able to "hot swap" the chips, but well, maybe I am going so far when I didnt even confirmed I can fix the motherboard by replacing the bios chip suposed to be fried :o
Yeah, they're fast at getting it into the delivery network. Problem it takes around a week or 2 for it to get anywhere =/
guys we've collected Eur 87 so far (approx $100) - come on help us get some more!
please give as much as you possibly can in recognition of those who have provided you with the ability to push your machines faster than before!
@jkbuha

woah, the Donation thing is really working, cant thank you enough mate Smile

@all

thanks for donations.

about the bios interchangeable chips designs:

I went to the electronic store today, they didnt had any compatible soic sockets D:

just had this kind of sockets for DIP

[Image: 08-3518-10.jpg]

any chance where I can get the one you mentionated in previus page?

[Image: 1rF1A]

well, another option could be use some kind of converter

[Image: 08-350000-10.jpg]

or well, another option could be to adapt the soic to the dip manually for all 5 chips

[Image: image2.png]

to make things clear, I made a crappy paint with MSpaint software Big Grin

[Image: designej.png]

using this method you will need like 7 DIP mounts

5 to solder to the chips, 1 to attach to the mother board, and another one to attach to the programmer.

by doing this, the easy removable design would be nice too Smile
Dirty idea .. getting proper sockets online is probably a better solution. Will lurk around to provide you a link
oh, adeebm found them at the l502x modded bioses topic Smile

http://bios-repair.co.uk/Products/SMD-Sockets.html

with this the whole thing would be easier Smile

mmm, those adapters are a little more expensive than the DIP ones I saw at the local store.

and I ran out of budget after getting the chips and minor equipment for the programer I bought from the local electronic store.

would be posible to move at least a small ammount from the pledgie so I can get the sockets?

as a payback, I though about I can make extra LPT programers for you by soldering the stuff, and send them to you plus a extra SOIC socket to solder into your motherboard.

with this way you would have the machines ready to fully access your firmware.

let me know what you think
The sockets are perfect fit into the breakout where chip would be installed, so even though they are not cheap they're well worth it.

This would end up being quite pricey Smile
I'm actually thinking of getting the components and assembling my programmer myself, the only issue is that my chip is surface mounted, I don't know how the package is called, you can't see the contacts anywhere .. TFBGA possibly?
Oh, the irony ... I looked where I can get an LPT port or at least a cable locally and it appears nowhere lol.. they are extinct right here, so I may be building a serial-based programmer instead..

Also in process of filling my monitor's transformer and coils with epoxy because it started emitting a high-pitch static hiss when brightness is below 99% D:

Sorry, @TheWiz (if you are looking that is) for not putting up what I had promised .. had some stuff going on, will do by the end of the week.
Morning all

Guys we're at Eur110 for Kasar's Mobo replacement! Well done to all who contributed and thank you for your support!
Can we all push one last time before I close off the campaign?

Cheers
jkbuha
@jkbuha

thanks a lot for all the efforts you are doing mate, I really apreciate it Smile

@all

thanks to timewalker, I made some deeper research about the hardware

I will quote my post from the other bios thread

kasar Wrote:@timewalker

I checked the pdf

didnt found anything related that port (well, the port were already unsoldered, maybe it was for a higher specs motherboard?)

anyway found something about the another windond chip W25x40vsig wich is 512Kb

just talks about the known one (W25Q32BVSIG)

however, I saw some other interesting info

it talk about some kind of 512 kb FLASH conected to the KBC (wich also have the keyboard and touchpad conected)

W25x40vsig

[Image: 34129674.png]
[Image: dsc00742aa.jpg]

and also the known one, the one I dumped

W25Q32BVSIG

[Image: pch.png]
[Image: bioschip.jpg]

about the strange conector, it could be maybe some kind of bluetooth conector?

[Image: weirdft.png]

[Image: dsc0076v2.jpg]

mmm, if this definitly the bluetooth port, maybe I can see another posible internal usb mod?

usb data + and data - Smile

wiring stuff to this port should be really interesting to expand l502x capabilities Smile