Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: (UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Unfortunately TRIM for Raid was enabled since 7-series intel chipsets, and it is unavailable for 6-series Sad
Buuuut, some quick finds:

http://www.win-raid.com/t97f16-Intel-HM-...-help.html
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php...stcount=20
http://www.win-raid.com/t7f13-AHCI-amp-R...dules.html

Looks like things are possible.

Btw, as you probably will have noticed, the modded BIOS I posted also includes unlocked menus, power management patch and an updated Intel VBIOS (v2158). I should have said, but I was in a hurry.
Another btw, to clarify something you said on notebookreview, with the RAID OROM I did manage to do some kind of UEFI boot, in the sense that I could launch a UEFI bootloader but didn't have a compatible UEFI OS (just OSX, no Intel firmware RAID driver support) to test how things would go after that. And I never created an array. Having to move all that data. So I am happy that you, @follow_me are willing to test Big Grin
I'll try to boot linux , it supports Intel RAID - I'll post my results here soon
@follow_me
No news so far? Angel

Anyway, I tried some of the RAID ROM mods as posted at http://www.win-raid.com/t7f13-AHCI-amp-R...dules.html

The newer versions don't work. They have a different size and a different structure. When using them, the OROM runs but after exiting or skipping the OROM the machine ends up in a UEFI Fn+F2-like state: stuck. Only version 10.1.0.1008 has the same size and doesn't freeze the system. They posted a version that might/should enable TRIM. So if you are interested in TRIM, which you probably (hopefully Tongue) are, you might give this version a try.
Tested previous one - it works with non uefi setup
As it was expected , TRIM is not available Sad
Will Try this one
(04-07-2014, 04:05 AM)Brabbelbla Wrote: [ -> ]@follow_me
No news so far? Angel

Anyway, I tried some of the RAID ROM mods as posted at http://www.win-raid.com/t7f13-AHCI-amp-R...dules.html

The newer versions don't work. They have a different size and a different structure. When using them, the OROM runs but after exiting or skipping the OROM the machine ends up in a UEFI Fn+F2-like state: stuck. Only version 10.1.0.1008 has the same size and doesn't freeze the system. They posted a version that might/should enable TRIM. So if you are interested in TRIM, which you probably (hopefully Tongue) are, you might give this version a try.

Hello will this work with my 3D Dell XPS L702x model laptop? Id like it for the trim seeing as I use my Laptop with 1TB SSD. Thanks in advanced Hi5

DyingJedi
(04-09-2014, 08:10 AM)dyingjedi Wrote: [ -> ]
No news so far? Angel

Hello will this work with my 3D Dell XPS L702x model laptop? Id like it for the trim seeing as I use my Laptop with 1TB SSD. Thanks in advanced Hi5

DyingJedi

If you don't use a firmware RAID setup, I guess TRIM should work fine the way things are. The new thing here is only the ability to get into the Intel RAID option ROM and to have it pass through the TRIM command. If you don't use an Intel firmware RAID setup (which you don't, or you wouldn't ask) the option ROM isn't called and then this mod won't change anything to TRIM functionality.
(04-09-2014, 08:50 AM)Brabbelbla Wrote: [ -> ]
No news so far? Angel

DyingJedi

If you don't use a firmware RAID setup, I guess TRIM should work fine the way things are. The new thing here is only the ability to get into the Intel RAID option ROM and to have it pass through the TRIM command. If you don't use an Intel firmware RAID setup (which you don't, or you wouldn't ask) the option ROM isn't called and then this mod won't change anything to TRIM functionality.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Ill just rip in the newer bios L702X_A19.exe for mine. I had assumed I would be gaining hardware TRIM support for my SSD, Not sure if my Bios does in fact support the raid feature or not? The laptop does in fact holster 32 GB of RAM and I would think it would support it again not sure. But does House to SSD storage bays or msata drives!

Thanks again for quick response! I PM'ed you just Igor or delete it was the same question!

I also gave you rating and kuddos!

DyingJedi

(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)dyingjedi Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-09-2014, 08:50 AM)Brabbelbla Wrote: [ -> ]
No news so far? Angel

DyingJedi

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Ill just rip in the newer bios L702X_A19.exe for mine. I had assumed I would be gaining hardware TRIM support for my SSD, Not sure if my Bios does in fact support the raid feature or not? The laptop does in fact holster 32 GB of RAM and I would think it would support it again not sure. But does House to SSD storage bays or msata drives!

Thanks again for quick response! I PM'ed you just Igor or delete it was the same question!

I also gave you rating and kuddos!

DyingJedi

I guess I still do have questions, will it harm my laptop at all? And you mentioned earlier that it will show more features like unlocked menus like what would it be unlocking etc? curious cause if I could tinker with my CPU or change voltage etc. to lower temps or do some over clocking that would be fantastic!

Would it work just for that purpose or would it mess up my whole system fully make it non functional etc?

Thanks
Quote:I had assumed I would be gaining hardware TRIM support for my SSD, Not sure if my Bios does in fact support the raid feature or not?

AFAIK the chipset supports TRIM, if the SSD does too and you have a proper driver installed it should work. Your BIOS = my BIOS, I own an L702X too. A non-3D model, but those BIOSes are the same. We don't know yet if RAID works. It looks like it will in some way, but on the few prior pages you can see what I stumbled upon.

Quote:I guess I still do have questions, will it harm my laptop at all? And you mentioned earlier that it will show more features like unlocked menus like what would it be unlocking etc? curious cause if I could tinker with my CPU or change voltage etc. to lower temps or do some over clocking that would be fantastic!

Although always on your own risk, flashing that BIOS (which version exactly do you point to?) shouldn't do harm, provided that you don't go crazy with the flash options. It is rather the unlocked features you have to be careful with. In the setup utility, some options are useful, some don't do anything, and some shouldn't be tampered with. To cite @TimeWalker: don't enable ports that are disabled. And UEFI boot is tricky. It can ruin your boot entries and in worst-case you can end up being locked out of your machine. Taking precautions, having a working recovery disk, it shouldn't happen, but don't rush into something.

Earlier in this thread there was a picture, showing what is unlocked. Overclocking and voltage changes are not among them. For the GPU, some VBIOS mods are here, but I never touched them: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps...-bios.html. Overclocking the CPU is not so easy, it requires a modified Intel Management Engine firmware. Kasar succeeded in this, but had to take out the chip and flash it externally.