Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Asus Rampage III Extreme ZioMod Bios (Latest: 1601_S17)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10-13-2013, 03:14 PM)sinders Wrote: [ -> ]It seems Dufus is the only one that knows how to get it working but I don`t
know if he has actually posted how to do it.
Well take a look at that thread again. He is not interested in modding ICH10R oroms as he believes there is no interest in it. Maybe if he realized how expensive this motherboard was and how long it was designed to last and how many people still use it, maybe, just maybe he would tell us how to mod it, lol.

Sinders, why don't you post over there telling him that you would like to know what is involved in modding the OROM to enable ICH10R to allow TRIM in RAID? Maybe if he saw someone interested in taking over that project of his with supporters backing you, again maybe he would change his mind. If you find it too difficult to mod at least you can make that determination not to waste any time. His screenshots do not look fake, so I believe he knows how to do this. I am not sure if it is worth it, but TRIM in RAID sounds nice none the less...
(10-14-2013, 11:09 AM)SkOrPn Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2013, 03:14 PM)sinders Wrote: [ -> ]It seems Dufus is the only one that knows how to get it working but I don`t
know if he has actually posted how to do it.
Well take a look at that thread again. He is not interested in modding ICH10R oroms as he believes there is no interest in it. Maybe if he realized how expensive this motherboard was and how long it was designed to last and how many people still use it, maybe, just maybe he would tell us how to mod it, lol.

Sinders, why don't you post over there telling him that you would like to know what is involved in modding the OROM to enable ICH10R to allow TRIM in RAID? Maybe if he saw someone interested in taking over that project of his with supporters backing you, again maybe he would change his mind. If you find it too difficult to mod at least you can make that determination not to waste any time. His screenshots do not look fake, so I believe he knows how to do this. I am not sure if it is worth it, but TRIM in RAID sounds nice none the less...

SkOrPn, If you can get him to agree to write up a little guide that he can send you on what main parts of the OROM need to be changed to what to make it RAID TRIM for ICH10R or even get him to sent you his already modded OROM then that would be great but if he is unwilling to do that then there's no point in pursuing him any longer as he is not interested in this anymore.
(10-15-2013, 03:56 AM)sinders Wrote: [ -> ]SkOrPn, If you can get him to agree to write up a little guide that he can send you on what main parts of the OROM need to be changed to what to make it RAID TRIM for ICH10R or even get him to sent you his already modded OROM then that would be great but if he is unwilling to do that then there's no point in pursuing him any longer as he is not interested in this anymore.
Dufus aka CPL0 is not interested anymore in this topic, because he didn't get any feedback, when he gave some users inclusive SlOrPn the link to his modded OROM some months ago.
Meanwhile I gave SkOrPn the link to the Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702, which had been modded by Dufus aka CPL0 to support TRIM in RAID0 for ICH10R SATA RAID Controllers. According to Dufus/CPL0 this modded OROM worked for his ICH10R test system (TRIM test was positive).
The next step should be, that SkOrPn flashes the actual mainboard BIOS containing this modded OROM to verify, if TRIM will be active within his RAID0 array after having done that.
When everything will be fine (TRIM is active within the RAID0 and the system is rock stable), I will offer this especially modded Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 at win-raid.com. If there should be interest in updated Intel RAID ROM versions with this additional ICH10R feature, I will try to modify the Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 the same way.
Since I am not very often present within this Forum, additional questions should be asked at my Win-RAID Forum.
(10-16-2013, 04:12 AM)Fernando Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-15-2013, 03:56 AM)sinders Wrote: [ -> ]SkOrPn, If you can get him to agree to write up a little guide that he can send you on what main parts of the OROM need to be changed to what to make it RAID TRIM for ICH10R or even get him to sent you his already modded OROM then that would be great but if he is unwilling to do that then there's no point in pursuing him any longer as he is not interested in this anymore.
Dufus aka CPL0 is not interested anymore in this topic, because he didn't get any feedback, when he gave some users inclusive SlOrPn the link to his modded OROM some months ago.
Meanwhile I gave SkOrPn the link to the Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702, which had been modded by Dufus aka CPL0 to support TRIM in RAID0 for ICH10R SATA RAID Controllers. According to Dufus/CPL0 this modded OROM worked for his ICH10R test system (TRIM test was positive).
The next step should be, that SkOrPn flashes the actual mainboard BIOS containing this modded OROM to verify, if TRIM will be active within his RAID0 array after having done that.
When everything will be fine (TRIM is active within the RAID0 and the system is rock stable), I will offer this especially modded Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 at win-raid.com. If there should be interest in updated Intel RAID ROM versions with this additional ICH10R feature, I will try to modify the Intel RAID ROM v12.7.0.1936 the same way.
Since I am not very often present within this Forum, additional questions should be asked at my Win-RAID Forum.

Thanks Fernando for your response.

That would be excellent if you could make his modded OROM for
TRIM RAID0 on ICH10R publicly available for people to test.

Could you please send me the modded OROM so I can test too?

Do you have any idea what Dufus aka CPL0 changed in the OROM
to make TRIM work when in RAID0 on ICH10R?

Also do you have any idea what was that tool he was using in his
posted screen to test to see if TRIM was working or not?
(10-16-2013, 04:56 AM)sinders Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any idea what Dufus aka CPL0 changed in the OROM to make TRIM work when in RAID0 on ICH10R?
I have already compared the hex codes of the original Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 with the ones Dufus/CPL0 had modified. The modifications and the affected BIOS section are totally different from the "typical" TRIM in RAID0 modifications for 5- and 6-Series SATA RAID Controllers he had published within the first page of >this< thread.
This may open the option to modify even earlier Intel RAID ROM modules like v11.2.0.1527 the same way.

Quote:Also do you have any idea what was that tool he was using in his
AFAIK he used the manual Hex Editor method, which I have described >here<.
(10-16-2013, 05:32 AM)Fernando Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2013, 04:56 AM)sinders Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any idea what Dufus aka CPL0 changed in the OROM to make TRIM work when in RAID0 on ICH10R?
I have already compared the hex codes of the original Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 with the ones Dufus/CPL0 had modified. The modifications and the affected BIOS section are totally different from the "typical" TRIM in RAID0 modifications for 5- and 6-Series SATA RAID Controllers he had published within the first page of >this< thread.
This may open the option to modify even earlier Intel RAID ROM modules like v11.2.0.1527 the same way.

Thanks again Fernando for responding.

Could you please send me the modded OROM for test?

Thanks.
(10-16-2013, 05:37 AM)sinders Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks.

I can send it to you a little later today bud. Also CPL0 said his mod simply reports itself as a Z77 so the driver will inform the controller to pass the trim commands to individual drives within an array. He also stated that if you compare the unmodified OROM to the modified one it should become apparent what was done. The tool I am using to see if trim worked or not is trimcheck-0.5.exe which can be found on Fernando's windows raid website.

I think the mod also requires matching modded drivers because Fernando lists them at his site as well.

Thanks again Fernando and thanks to sinders for the interest in trying one last great mod for this fantastic motherboard. I will be here if you need a extra test system.

Regards
Rod

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
(10-16-2013, 08:50 AM)SkOrPn Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2013, 05:37 AM)sinders Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks.

I can send it to you a little later today bud. Also CPL0 said his mod simply reports itself as a Z77 so the driver will inform the controller to pass the trim commands to individual drives within an array. He also stated that if you compare the unmodified OROM to the modified one it should become apparent what was done. The tool I am using to see if trim worked or not is trimcheck-0.5.exe which can be found on Fernando's windows raid website.

I think the mod also requires matching modded drivers because Fernando lists them at his site as well.

Thanks again Fernando and thanks to sinders for the interest in trying one last great mod for this fantastic motherboard. I will be here if you need a extra test system.

Regards
Rod

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks SkOrPn. I will wait for you to send me the modded OROM.

Did you get a chance yet to test on your system to see if TRIM
actually passes now or not with the modded OROM?
(10-16-2013, 08:50 AM)SkOrPn Wrote: [ -> ]I think the mod also requires matching modded drivers because Fernando lists them at his site as well.
A modded Intel RAID driver is not required, because Intel ICH10R SATA RAID Controllers and Intel 7-Series SATA RAID Controllers have the same (unified) DeviceID and are supported by all original Intel RAID drivers.
Nevertheless I recommend to install the Intel RST(e) drivers v11.7.4.1001 WHQL, because they belong to the same development branch as the Intel RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 and definitively do support TRIM.
Well SkOrPn send me the modded OROM and I have just modded the Asus Rampage
III Extreme 1601 BIOS with the OROM and flashed my board with it.

I have two Crucial RealSSD C300 drives in RAID0 and I am using the 11.2.0.1006 RST drivers
and I have done a quick test with the TrimCheck Tool 0.5 and according to this tool, TRIM has
now passed, it appears to be working.

I have never got this message before from TrimCheck Tool with any of the previews
official non modified OROMs on my Asus Rampage III Extreme board.

This is really good news but before we get all excited, I think we need to test with
some other TRIM testing methods before we can say that this modded OROM
definitely does work to enable TRIM in RAID0 on boards with a ICH10R controller.

Lets now see if SkOrPn tests are the same as mine, that TRIM in
RAID0 has passed, appears to be working.

If this modded OROM does indeed work then I wouldn't mind getting
the official non modified Intel RST RAID ROM 11.2.0.1527 OROM
modded the same way.

SkOrPn, could you please ask Dufus over at anandtech what is that
TRIM test tool is he is using to see if TRIM actually is working or not.

You can see the windows of tool he is using at the right side of his
posted screenshot in the post below. The send trim command
window and Trim test positive, returns zeros windows.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php...tcount=533