Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 08:58 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 149
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 (HEE...
Last Post: MANIANA18
Today 07:20 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 21936
ASUS R1F CPU upgrade
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 12:22 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 108
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 15 (8ACNxx...
Last Post: psycomaffo
Yesterday 10:36 AM
» Replies: 69
» Views: 26105
Request for Modded BIOS with AI Tweaker ...
Last Post: CertifiedCosmos
04-17-2024 05:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 123
Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e GPU Whitelist re...
Last Post: saschalein
04-17-2024 03:23 PM
» Views: 111
[REQUEST] Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15ARR (7WC...
Last Post: nadolivbios
04-17-2024 01:26 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 6203
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: sanya.silitskiy
04-17-2024 11:52 AM
» Replies: 73
» Views: 220056
[REQUEST] 13w Yoga Gen 2 (Type 82YR) (KB...
Last Post: SiberianTiger97
04-17-2024 09:48 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 187
Acer Extensa 5620: CPU replace
Last Post: MPM
04-17-2024 08:28 AM
» Views: 171
[REQUEST] Sony Vaio VPCEH & VPCEJ series...
Last Post: nrns
04-16-2024 08:08 PM
» Replies: 232
» Views: 98672
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dudu2002
04-16-2024 02:35 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 24097
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
04-16-2024 07:29 AM
» Replies: 847
» Views: 324411
[REQUEST] Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315...
04-16-2024 07:28 AM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 1045
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad P14s 3rd Gen 1...
04-16-2024 07:26 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 328
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: pashtet440
04-16-2024 06:56 AM
» Views: 162
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
04-14-2024 09:02 AM
» Replies: 1733
» Views: 542396
Dell Latitude 5520 - get to know passwor...
Last Post: yeti1299
04-14-2024 06:48 AM
» Views: 269
[REQUEST]: Asus TP420IA - how to dump bi...
Last Post: quantumx3
04-14-2024 05:34 AM
» Views: 226
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: Nightdemon2001
04-14-2024 01:13 AM
» Replies: 2319
» Views: 657018

ASUS A8JS VGA upgrade Go7700 -> GF9650M GT (1GB) (and other VGA cards)
Wink 
Hi all! This is a step-by-step tutorial, with pictures, on how to upgrade your Asus A8JS to a GF9650M GT (and other cards as people request them). This tutorial is now complete. Please post below if you have any questions (I will check back every few days at least). Also, please read the disclaimer at the bottom of the page (no upgrade / modification is without risk, and you need to balance risks vs benefits of any mods).

This picture is referenced by some of the stages below:

[Image: ASUSReversedMXM.jpg]

This picture shows an ASUS A8JR with ATI X2300 graphics card. However, it looks identical to the GeForce 7700 found in the A8JS (except the 7700 has 4 chips on each side). The red arrows are the screws you need to remove. The extra graphics card on the right is the GeForce Go 7700 from the A8JS (note, the GPU chip can be seen in the centre - when installed, this faces DOWN, onto the heatsink). Note how the GPU is clean - very important before installation of any graphics card.

Stage 1 : System identification

This is crucial, to make sure you have the correct system, or you will end up flashing the wrong BIOS, and 'bricking' our machine.

1. Ensure you have an A8JS (mine, unhelpfully, just says 'A8J' on the bottom). If you have an A8JP A8JR A8Jn or A8J-anything else, post below, I will make a seperate thread in the 'testing forum, and help you out Smile
2. If you are not sure it is an A8JS, check the BIOS on booting - it will gave a string that will start 'A8Js'.
3. If you are still unsure, post below, and I can help.

Stage 2 : Graphics Card Identification

The A8JS Bios includes support for GF Go7600 and GF Go 7700. I'm not sure if they ever sold them with the 7600 installed, but a BIOS mod should support both your old and new cards, for compatibility reasons (e.g. if your new card is broken, and old card is now unsupported, your laptop is useless for a while, till you can get a new card).

1. If running Windows XP, go into device manager, and find the video card, click on properties.... details.... then it will say, for example PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0397&SUBSYS..... Vendor ID 10DE is Nvidia, Device ID 0397 means : GeForce Go 7700. If the numbers are different for your A8JS, stop at this point, and post below (you WILL need a different modded BIOS, using the wrong one might make your system unusable).
2. If running Linux, go into the console, and type lspsi (L S P C I) but in lower case. A list of all PCI/PCI express stuff will come up; among them it will say either GeForce Go 7700 or GeForce Go 7600.
3. If you are stuck at this point, post below.
4. If it says Go 7600, then post below, and don't continue just yet -> I will need to make another BIOS so you can use both old and new cards.

Stage 3 : Deciding on which card to buy

Note : This tutorial currently only supports upgrading to the Asus M50 9650M GT - since that is the card I got. Other cards could be tried, but there is always a risk of poor compatibility / not working. Also note that, until you get to the 400-Fermi series of GPUs, there is nothing better than the 9650M GT in terms of performance per watt (more powerful cards start at twice the wattage). The 8000,9000,100,200,300 series nVidia cards all support DirectX10 and OpenGL3.3, again meaning the 9650M GT is a good choice, and 1GB Ram is useful too.

You need to buy a special ASUS reversed-MXM card.

The card I bought was a M50 9650M GT on ebay (beware.... some sellers sell proper MXM cards, list it as compatible with M50, C90, but actually it won't fit the M50 (or A8JS) as they both have reversed MXM). The C90 is the only Asus laptop with 'true' MXM, the rest have Asus-specific reversed-MXM.

Go to mxm-upgrade.com to see pictures of MXM cards, and look at the picture I posted above to see the ASUS reversed-MXM format. The only obvious difference is that the gold-plated connector is reversed between MXM and ASUS-reversed MXM. Make sure you see a picture of the card you are buying, and make sure it matches the cards in my picture above! (Both are ASUS reverse-MXM, except you can see the front of one, and the back of the other).

TDP (Thermal Design Power)

TDP is an important consideration when choosing a new card. Basically, this is the amount of heat generated by the card; the more power, the more heat generated. Also, I have no idea what the maximum power that the laptop can supply to the card is! So, it would be wise to keep the TDP as close to the original as possible Smile

If you did get a card with double the power, and had problems when using it to the max, then underclocking it slightly would probably result in reduced power draw / reduced heat output, meaning it wouldn't necessarily be a total loss!

TDPs of possible upgrades are:

GeForce GT 445M -> 30-35 watts (might just be possible)
GeForce GT 425M -> 20-23 watts (definitely possible if a reverse-MXM card is made)
GeForce GT 240M -> 23 watts (I might be getting one of these soon!)
GeForce 9700M GTS -> 60 watts (probably too high, but you never know)
GeForce 9700M GT -> 45 watts (may or may not be too high)
GeForce 9650M GT -> 23 watts (this works, the only one tested so far!!)
GeForce 9600M and below -> 20 watts or less, so will be fine.

GeForce Go 7700 : I guessed 20 watts, but since the new card runs cooler, it might be closer to 30 watts!

Stage 3a : Obtaining working drivers for new card

Annoyingly, Nvidia provide unified drivers for all cards, but miss loads of cards out from the .inf files! After my upgrade, I was left with a slow framebuffer, and no drivers would install. It seemed like the card was incompatible after all.

What you need to do, is get a driver and *modified .inf file* from laptopvideo2go.com, and install them as per the instructions from the site (post below if issues occur).

If you install this BEFORE the swap, the Windows will boot right up into your
new card, with full acceleration (hopefully).

Linux (Ubuntu Lucid) boots up and works right away with the new card.

Stage 3b : Final computer setup prior to switch of VGA cards

I would advise you to set up Windows / Linux to automatically boot into the desktop with no username / password required, in case you get a black screen (then you can press ALT + F8 to see if the works, or to get a display up on an external monitor).

I would also advise you to turn the ASUS boot sound to 'On' (the noise it makes right after you turn it on). This might be helpful in troubleshooting if things go wrong.

Do install a temperature monitor in Windows or Linux or your Operating System of choice, so you can quickly check for overheating after the swap.

Stage 4 : Flashing your new, custom BIOS

Select the appropriate BIOS from the list below. If you are upgrading your A8JS from a GeForce Go 7700 to GF9650M GT (1GB), then choose 'a8js_v213_go7700_and_gf9650mgt1gb_v100.zip'.

You now have two options - you can either use the Asus WinFlash utility (from the ASUS website), or you can flash it using a DOS based flashing program - all available from the ASUS website. WinFlash is much easier, but, it does mean you are relying on windows to NOT crash during the flash!

If the flash goes wrong, but the computer is still running, DO NOT shut it down, instead keep it powered up! You can still use the PC with a bad flash, but once you shut it down, you won't be able to start it up again! Keeping it powered up would allow you to attempt to resolve the problem and avoid disaster. You would also need to go into the power management options (if in windows), and make sure it doesn't shut down after 1 hour idle, etc.

Stage 5 : Removing the old card, fitting the new card

Please use proper anti-static precautions when doing this - get hold of an antistatic wrist-strap, and also dont touch the connectors, or any bare metal circuits / components on the graphics cards. This will reduce the risk of the upgrade failing (e.g. black screen) due to destroying the new card before it is installed.

Remove the old card from the laptop - remove the lower cover, and you will see the card as in the picture above. Remove the four screws carefully, remove the old card, and keep it safe (in antistatic packaging - such as the packaging your new card comes with). It will be useful if your new card doesn't work, or if it breaks in the future, etc.

Make sure you clean all the old thermal paste from the heatsink pads. The best way to do this is to use small amounts of methylated spirits, and tissue or lint-free cloth, after removing the bulk of the thermal paste with e.g. a fingernail. Avoid using a metal implement to do this, as it scratches the soft copper heatsink, which should be avoided at all costs! (I actually scratched mine up badly using a screwdriver, but, as I used a proper amount of Arctic Silver, the cooling is still much better than the original crumbly, thick, poorly applied thermal paste that was there originally).

I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste for the GPU itself, and thermal pads for the memory. (GPU idling at 35 degrees C here while browsing the web, difficult to get it to go about 60 degrees even on unlimited frame rate, max details, on most games)

The best thermal pads can be had from MXM-Upgrade.com (but I just used the ones supplied for now, for the memory chips).

Stage 6 : Testing the new card

If you are unlucky, and get a black screen, but system continues to boot, you need to plug it into an external monitor. The chances of this happening are practically nil (it happened to me, but then I fixed the BIOS so it recognised the internal TFT panel).

I advise you to install a temperature monitor program before the switch; afterwards, check that the temperatures are not rising during idle, and then test with more demanding / 3D applications. If the temperature rises too high, stop the test, and check what is wrong with the cooling. As a guide, you should see lower temperatures than the GeForce Go 7700 that you are replacing.

Troubleshooting

Black Screen after BIOS update (but before switch of Graphics cards)

This does not sound good. Quite likely a 'bad flash'. Try installing the new graphics card anyway, see if that works. If you get the ASUS sound when you switch the computer on, that means there is still some life in the system, which may be helpful later. Another possibility is that you installed the wrong BIOS (e.g. the combined GF7700 + GF9650M BIOS) when you had a GF7600 card in your system. If this is the case, installing the new card should bring the system back to life.

If this doesn't work, you are looking at motherboard repair by ASUS, or fixing it yourself. There is a blind-flash mode from USB stick, but I need to look into how to get it to work properly. You could also get a TV repair shop to remove the old BIOS chip, install a PLCC socket, and then get a new BIOS chip plugged in to the socket. This would sort the problem and avoid issues with a bad flash in the future.

Black Screen after switching cards (but things were OK after the BIOS flash, before you switched cards)

This is an issue with the new VGA card or the BIOS. Did you choose the correct BIOS from the list below? If not, switch back to the old card, and try again. Please post below first though, in case you end up flashing the wrong BIOS (as this could theoretically be caused by a problem with the BIOSes below).

You might also have a broken VGA card, but it would be difficult to test this.

Overheating

Switch off the PC, check the cooling system -> is the fan spinning up? is there a thin but complete layer of thermal paste? Try cleaning it off and starting again if unsure.

Windows boots, but only in 'BASIC' mode (e.g. slow video updates, no 3D
support), and all the nvidia drivers I try say no matching card found......

This will happen if you don't use the modified .inf file from laptopvideotogo. It is easy to fix however. Download a recent set of Drivers *and* the modified .inf file from laptopvideotogo.com, then unzip the drivers, put the modified .inf file into the driver directory (it will overwrite the original .inf file), then run the setup program. If you still have problems, post below!

BIOSes for download

A8JS laptop, BIOS with Go7700 and 9650m GT (1GB) support ONLY :
- Known issues : BIOS bootup screen is smaller, in centre of panel (scaling not working in BIOS). This makes no difference in reality as Windows, Linux, all can use the hardware scaling properly, so it makes no difference in practice.
- Download : http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=1254

Disclaimer

I take no responsibility for any problems that occur if trying the upgrade above; you do all these procedures at your own risk. However, I have written this tutorial based on my own experience, and have upgraded my laptop this way, and will do my best to help people with questions / troubleshooting. Please ask, and wait for a reply, rather than just forging ahead, if something seems wrong, or you are worried in any way.

Attached Files
.zip   asus_a8js_v213_go7700_and_gf9650mgt1gb_v100.zip (Size: 462.95 KB / Downloads: 339)

ASUS A8JR : 3GB Ram, Nvidia 9650M GT 1GB Graphics (upgraded from 512MB Go7700 with custom BIOS). T7200CPU (with faster FSB and clock) - plug&play!
Apple Macbook Pro - top spec as of Mid 2012 - used it for a while, back to my ASUS as it as so much more flexible and usable!![/color]
find
Wow! A Fantastic Post!

Congratulations on your findings , lets hope this becomes possible on other laptops Big Grin

Admin
find
Hello,

Thanks for the post. My 7700 fried a couple of weeks ago and looking for a replacement... or possible upgrade.

I'm curious about the stability of the upgrade. Any noticeable problems? How's the performance improvement over the 7700?

Been looking around for the reversed MXM 9650M GT and they're hard to find. I also like the idea of upgrading to the GT 240M. When do you plan on getting one?

Thanks.
find
(10-22-2010, 07:59 AM)fusion Wrote: ....

I'm curious about the stability of the upgrade. Any noticeable problems? How's the performance improvement over the 7700?

Been looking around for the reversed MXM 9650M GT and they're hard to find. I also like the idea of upgrading to the GT 240M. When do you plan on getting one?

Hi!

The upgrade has been very stable, but I did notice one huge difference; the temperature is about 10 degrees cooler than the 7700! (and my 7700 was running fine, not overheating, etc). I think the 9650M GT actually uses less power than the 7700 as it is made with a smaller process. Stability has not been an issue - no crashes or glitches, runs fine under Windows and Ubuntu / Debian Linux. I benchmarked using 'Unigine Tropics' under Linux - i didn't save the old benchmarks, but it runs MUCH faster now Smile

Specs of 7700 : 512MB. Core config 5:12:12:8 (Vertex Shader, Pixel Shader, Texture mapping Unit, Render Output Unit)
450MHz Core, 1000 MHz Ram.
3.6/5.4 Gigapixels / Texels per second.

Specs of 9650M GT : 1024MB, Core config 32:16:8 (7700 would be 17:12:8)
550MHz Core, 1325 MHz Ram.
4.4/8.8 Gigapixels / Texels per second.

Overall, the 9650M GT is better, runs cooler, and is probably 40-300% faster
depending on application. Also, it is DirectX10 and OpenGL 3.3, which is a
huge advantage! You might even notice slightly better battery life too! I know
it can run Crysis at medium, pretty well, and will be getting myself a copy of this soon Smile

I am writing a 3D engine, and I noticed the frame-rate tripled (on a test scene with 100,000s of VBO objects and millions of polygons), so overall, it is a much more capable card.

Availability is a problem at the moment; I have emailed the ebay sellers who will let me know when more are in stock. Otherwise, keep searching for 'Asus MXM' or 'Asus 9650M' on ebay, and check international sellers (mainly Hong Kong, Taiwan, price about $255 Australian roughtly) for one.

I can always make a BIOS for a 9300M GS (DirectX10 but slightly slower), or 9500M GS or 9600M GS etc - any ASUS *reverse* MXM card you can find - just post here for request Smile

Finally, I didn't get a 240M, but I have *two* different types of ASUS reverse-MXM 260M GTX on their way Smile Case mods will be required (nothing too drastic and won't be visible once the laptop is back together), but will be interesting. They run at about 65 watts whereas the 9650M GT is 23 watts, so I will underclock and then slowly increase clocks till it becomes unstable - don't want to overload / burn out my laptop Smile

ASUS A8JR : 3GB Ram, Nvidia 9650M GT 1GB Graphics (upgraded from 512MB Go7700 with custom BIOS). T7200CPU (with faster FSB and clock) - plug&play!
Apple Macbook Pro - top spec as of Mid 2012 - used it for a while, back to my ASUS as it as so much more flexible and usable!![/color]
find
Thanks for your response. Seems like you're on every notebook forum on the net... and have been reading some of your other posts.

I would like to try the 9650M GT but it is a little too much at $250... maybe too much demand since your BIOS mod?

How is your progress coming along with the 260M? I did notice a version on eBay that was quite cheap but was one that went into the memory modules and not the case. How are you underclocking via BIOS or OS?

Will you shed a little light on your BIOS mod process? Or, at least, post any links that you found most helpful in modding the BIOS?

Thanks.
find
I've got an Asus A8Jm and am wondering if the 9650m GT will be able to work on it? Any info on such? Thanx!!!!
find
(11-03-2010, 09:40 PM)fsdude Wrote: I've got an Asus A8Jm and am wondering if the 9650m GT will be able to work on it? Any info on such? Thanx!!!!

Hello,

It most likely will but to be sure check your laptop.

There are 4 screws (3 along edge and 1 in middle) holding the cover to CPU/GPU/RAM. Unplug laptop and remove battery as a precaution (anti-static for the paranoid). Remove screws and cover. If it looks similar to the picture above, hardware-wise it should work. NOTE: Don't touch/remove anything else, you just need to verify it looks similar. Also, these steps are for A8Js but should work for any A8J series laptops.

You will need a modified BIOS and should ask jommoner for help, if you decide to upgrade.
find
Hi!

About the A8JM : there is a 99% chance it would work; I think it comes with the 7600GT? (I have now upgraded my spare (original laptop) A8JR which had a lame ATI X2300, to a 9650M GT, and that worked Smile (The reason I got the A8JS was to get a better graphics card, before I discovered this new upgrade path!) *The A8JM will need a BIOS change before you switch cards... you would need to tell me exactly which card you have, so I can make you a custom BIOS... Look at the instructions above (Stage 2, part 1) and tell me the PCI/VEN/DEV numbers... then I will ensure the new BIOS supports your old card, and the 9650M GT, so you can also keep the old card as a backup etc.

The 9650M GTs have just reappeared on ebay at a slightly higher price, unfortunately Sad There are the M50 ones - PLEASE check with my picture above to make sure you get the correct one, *not* the mirror image one (the picture above is actually of my A8JR, but is identical to the A8JS).

I also have a A8JC? now (the one with Go 7300 and Core 1 Duo)... I got it dirt cheap on ebay, and swapped screens with my dodgy A8JS screen, and got a new touchpad too (and put touchpad film so it doesn't wear out like they always do). Even that laptop would accept a 9650M GT!

About the 260M : I have received one of them - the one that will block the memory..... I might use that on my A8JC, and have a single 2GB stick in the lower slot. Being posted to me is the one that needs the case mod - still waiting, but the seller seems a bit slow in posting from the delay between their feedback and end of auction dates....... The underclocking will be done in the vBIOS (which will be contained in the BIOS) and initially will be 1/4 speed or all set to the lowest possible speed, before I gradually increase the speed while watching for heat and instability Smile

find
(11-06-2010, 01:47 AM)jommoner Wrote: Hi!

About the A8JM : there is a 99% chance it would work; I think it comes with the 7600GT? (I have now upgraded my spare (original laptop) A8JR which had a lame ATI X2300, to a 9650M GT, and that worked Smile (The reason I got the A8JS was to get a better graphics card, before I discovered this new upgrade path!) *The A8JM will need a BIOS change before you switch cards... you would need to tell me exactly which card you have, so I can make you a custom BIOS... Look at the instructions above (Stage 2, part 1) and tell me the PCI/VEN/DEV numbers... then I will ensure the new BIOS supports your old card, and the 9650M GT, so you can also keep the old card as a backup etc.

The 9650M GTs have just reappeared on ebay at a slightly higher price, unfortunately Sad There are the M50 ones - PLEASE check with my picture above to make sure you get the correct one, *not* the mirror image one (the picture above is actually of my A8JR, but is identical to the A8JS).

I also have a A8JC? now (the one with Go 7300 and Core 1 Duo)... I got it dirt cheap on ebay, and swapped screens with my dodgy A8JS screen, and got a new touchpad too (and put touchpad film so it doesn't wear out like they always do). Even that laptop would accept a 9650M GT!

About the 260M : I have received one of them - the one that will block the memory..... I might use that on my A8JC, and have a single 2GB stick in the lower slot. Being posted to me is the one that needs the case mod - still waiting, but the seller seems a bit slow in posting from the delay between their feedback and end of auction dates....... The underclocking will be done in the vBIOS (which will be contained in the BIOS) and initially will be 1/4 speed or all set to the lowest possible speed, before I gradually increase the speed while watching for heat and instability Smile

Hi jommoner,

Thanks for your reply. The GPU is a Go7600 and I know it is obviously the Asus "inverted shaped" mxm ii slot as I've actually opened up my laptop before to upgrade both memory, hard drive and more recently the cpu, so i'm quit well aware of the internal contents of my machine Wink. Installing the GPU physically shouldn't be the problem. So you can now figure out that my biggest question would be the bios. And yes I've been keeping up with the 9650M GTs on eBay as well :lol:. More pricier this time, but just glad they've got some available now. Anyhow.....I will check on the aforementioned PCI/VEN/DEV numbers and get back to you here asap. Thanks for your help.
find
PS I will shed more light on the BIOS mod process soon - it isn't that difficult but required careful attention to detail...... as one mistake, and you have a laptop with a bad bios, flashed onto a chip which is soldered to the motherboard :O

(at which stage you need some connectors and a friendly old-school TV/Radio repair
shop to remove the chip - luckily my laptop has quite a 'coarse' chip with few, large
pins.... if it is surface mount, things will get more difficult (but the TV repair man
can still probably help) Smile

find