Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 21
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424228
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3564
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 227
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 166
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 257
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223934
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119110
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 241
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6745
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 360
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309557
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61908
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 572
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20228
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169172
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6274
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 776
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5743
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61125

Enable WOL on Lenovo E430C or power on automatically after power up
#1
Question 
I found an old laptop, model Lenovo E430C, and plan to use it as a server.

I wanted to find a way to leave the laptop unattended, making it possible to start the laptop automatically or manually after shutdown.

I first tried enabling WOL as this is available in the normal bios, but unfortunately when I shut down the laptop And send the magic packet to the machine , but the laptop does not turn on.

One difference I observed from the shutdown of my other WOL-enabled laptop was that the network port light did not come on (with the network cable already plugged in).

I suspected that the problem was a poor contact on the network port (you need to push the cable hard to the top of the port in boot mode to network), so I bought a USB network card and turned on the option in the bios to supply power to the usb in the shutdown state and turned on the WOL option when installing the drivers, but it still didn't help.

I suspected that the bios would not power the card by default. So I did some web searching and found that power is only supplied to the card in the S5 shutdown state, and I suspect that the laptop's default shutdown state is S6.

So I ran shutdown -h now under linux (which should enter the S5 state instead of S6) and found that the default NIC for its laptop was able to wake up the machine with a magic packet, while the external USB NIC was not.

I tried looking for ways to get into the advanced bios, tried looking for options about whether or not to power up the NIC when the laptop is turned off, and found that many of the methods require keystrokes on the laptop's built-in keyboard to get in, but alas, my laptop's built-in keyboard is broken.

I tried to use UEFITools to look for advanced options in the bios firmware, and found a "LenovoPlatformHiiAdvancedDxe", which I tried to save locally, and then use ifrextractor to convert it to human-readable text. I didn't find any option about whether to power up the card or shutdown by default. However, I did find an option called "State After G3", which after a bit of web searching seemed to enable the computer to boot up automatically when the power was turned back on after a power failure, so I used the grub-mod-setup_var utility to modify this option, setting it to enabled after powering off and then powering on again, but it didn't work.

Can anyone help me with these issues, I would like to turn on the advanced options and set the machine to power off to power on the network card so I can use the magic pack to wake up the computer, or if that doesn't work, have the computer automatically turn on when laptop power failure and power back again. Also, do I need the bios to have a driver for the device to do WOL using a usb NIC, I found a driver for uefi on the NIC driver download page, I don't know if this has anything to do with WOL.

If anyone can do any of this I would sincerely appreciate it!

Bios file: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)