Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6358
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14009
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 110
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424484
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3625
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 291
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 211
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 314
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224597
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119176
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 277
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6792
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 417
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309742
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61970
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 627
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20282
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169349
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6355
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 832

Problem flashing XPS 730 from DOS
#1
Problem flashing XPS-730 bios as I want windows 10 eventually and cannot get 10 from Dells 2.0 slic (VISTA)

I used XPS730-010006.EXE /writeromfile to get a06.bin.  Using that award tool I replaced (hopefully) the 2.0 slic with 2.1

Have problem flashing using AWDFLASH 8.94, something is wrong, not sure what it is or how to fix it.

For a boot USB I used rufus 2.17 and installed freedos on a 32mb flash.  This booted up just fine on my XPS 730 motherboard (new $50 from eBay)

I first noticed something strange:  Any attempt to rename, save, copy a file causes a "write protect" warning, but the operation actually gets performed.  I just have to keep pressing "A" for (A)bort to finally get back to the DOS prompt.  A directory listing shows the operation (rename, save, copy etc) worked.

Anyway, I tried the following and got the error as shown below
awdflash A06SLIC.BIN BACKUP.BIN /QI

System must be reset afterwards as it hung.

Unless someone has a suggestion, I will dig out from my attic a copy of "8" that was never used and install "8", then upgrade to Windows 10 using Microsoft's "assistive technology" upgrade.  It is a waste of "8" but that was wasted when I bought it.

[Image: 730fail.jpg]

Thanks for looking!

[EDIT]  I do have a 1.44 floppy USB and could boot dos 6 but these files are big and I don't see how to do the backup at the same time as the flash as they both wont fit on the floppy.

[EDIT2]  Tried lastest Rufus 2.18 that just came out but same problem.  I have since given up on the SLIC 2.1 upgrade as I was able to install 8 and then activate windows 10 using that still free upgrade. Since my copy of 8 was full retail, I guess I can continue to do this any time in the future since "8" was uninstalled when 10 was put in.

Interesting discovery:  I was able to boot my core 2 quad in the xps 730 with 12gb of memory.  Bios shows 250mb but windows 10 recognized all 12gb.  Nvidia's 790i chipset did something right.
www find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)