Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
Today 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 60
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
Today 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 81
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
Yesterday 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 136
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
Yesterday 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1222059
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
Yesterday 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 118900
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 160
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6641
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 265
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 308942
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61731
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 452
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20098
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 168800
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6130
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 661
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5620
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 60933
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274805
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 775
[REQUEST] Hystou S200 BIOS unlock
Last Post: Onyicho
09-20-2026 05:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 24733

Thinkpad T430 black screen/bricked
#1
My Thinkpad T430 (Intel GPU only; no NVidia) now has a black screen when powered on. No beeps are heard but the LEDs light up and the HDD makes noise. I have backups of both the 8MB SPI and 4MB SPI BIOS/UEFI chips (acquired with Raspberry Pi 3 and Pomona clip). I extracted blobs from these backups then built a Coreboot image and flashed it. The first time I did this, the computer completely booted up with graphical glitches which went away when the login screen came up. I was happy that the whitelists were gone and ME was broken at the knees. I wanted to fix the image so that I could actually see and interact with the firmware. 

This is where I made a stupid mistake  Confused . I figured it would be safe to try anything since I had complete backups of the BIOS/UEFI chips. So, I tried updating the firmware via flashrom with the internal option. I didn't get too far; all I did was test flashrom with the verbose option; I ditched the plan when flashrom gave me very intense warnings. Next time I rebooted, the computer died. I then tried reflashing various Coreboot image configurations and even the original image (more than once); the best I ever got was a blank screen with and flashing LEDs with fan spinning. I tried removing the CMOS battery, thinking that could be the problem, but it doesn't seem to matter. I've read that this could be a sign of ESD, but I was very careful with the motherboard and left it in its tray/base to minimize the possibility of that happening. 

I don't know what to do now. Either ESD killed the motherboard (and the BIOS stuff is just a huge coincidence) or I might have messed up the EC. Is the EC firmware embedded into the BIOS stuff? Does anyone have an EC backup I can use? Any other suggestions? Please help me!

(I'm willing to post the firmware dumps if it will help/anyone wants them)
find
quote
#2
For those who are interested, I'm pretty sure I messed up the motherboard (eventually got errors flashing). I got a new (to me) motherboard with better GPU. I was able to backup the firmware and flash to that motherboard with no problems. I did take more precautions (which I should have done in the first place). I still have the old motherboard with a bad flash chip. I'm attempting to microsolder on a new flash chip (might post results if it works).
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)