Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 21
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424228
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3564
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 227
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 166
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 257
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223934
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119110
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 241
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6745
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 360
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309557
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61908
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 572
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20228
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169172
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6274
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 776
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5743
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61126

possible to upgrade i3 to i7 3840qm Asus k55a laptop?
#1
I have a asus k55a laptop that I am looking to upgrade. It runs the hm76 express chipset. So what I am trying to figure out is if I need a modified bios to upgrade to the i7 3840qm or if it will just work? I know for a fact that there was a k55a variant that you could originally buy that came with a i7 3630qm. So at very least I know it supports an i7 with a 45w tdp. Currently running the latest bios provided from the Asus website. Version # 407.  I am new here and a bit new to bios modding and whatnot. I can provide whatever information, pictures etc you may need. Thanks!
find
quote
#2
Make a photo of laptop's motherboard near a socket.
find
quote
#3
(12-21-2021, 12:28 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: Make a photo of laptop's motherboard near a socket.

Okay awesome, I will do that. I will post a picture prob in like a week and a half ish. I am about to head out of town for the holidays but when I get back I will get you some good pictures! Thanks for your help.
find
quote
#4
(12-21-2021, 12:28 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: Make a photo of laptop's motherboard near a socket.

Whats up dude. Attached is some pictures of the socket on the motherboard. I actually found these from an ebay listing. Lemme know if the pictures are clear enough. Figured if this works, it'll save me the hassle of opening it all up(for now anyways) haha.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
           
find
quote
#5
Quad core CPUs aren't recommended for this revision of laptop's motherboard.
find
quote
#6
(12-23-2021, 02:28 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: Quad core CPUs aren't recommended for this revision of laptop's motherboard.

Ah thats a bummer. Can you elaborate on that? Is it a power thing? Or compatibility ? If I try to put in a quad core is it just not going to work or? I didn’t realize there was different revisions. For all I know my asus k55a could be a different revision. Looking now, I do see that there are different model numbers. Do you have a way to check which revision and or model number I can look out for that would work ?
find
quote
#7
This motherboard can burn out with quad core CPU (45W).
But you can safely install i7-3612QM or i7-3632QM.
find
quote
#8
(12-23-2021, 04:23 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: This motherboard can burn out with quad core CPU (45W).
But you can safely install i7-3612QM or i7-3632QM.

If I wanted to risk putting in an i7 with a 45w tdp, would the motherboard at least read it ? I’m more concerned with the compatibility part. I just want to make sure the i7 3840qm isn’t white listed or anything. Smile

I was also planning on using good thermal paste as well as a 90w wall adapter by asus instead of a 65w
find
quote
#9
This motherboard has weak power subsystem, it can't be solved by new PSU.
find
quote
#10
(12-23-2021, 04:40 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: This motherboard has weak power subsystem, it can't be solved by new PSU.

Okay thanks man. You’ve been very helpful. I can still return my current laptop. Are you able to know which k55a model I would want to look for that could handle 45w tdp?

If I’m willing to risk burning out the motherboard , will I have any problems with the bios detecting the 3840qm cpu? Do I need a modified bios?
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)