Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
Analyze java class System Identifier cod...
Last Post: Hasan jeet
Today 03:44 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 16
[REQUEST] Lenovo G710 BIOS Whitelist Rem...
Last Post: sscdimon
Today 01:53 PM
» Replies: 471
» Views: 132753
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: cpih
Today 12:03 PM
» Replies: 846
» Views: 328753
Delete Whitelist HP 15s-eq1000
Last Post: gdefareins
Today 09:02 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 163
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y470 & Y570 (47CNxxWW) ...
Last Post: jabbari74
Today 03:37 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 18140
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad T420 (83ETxxWW...
Last Post: lucasow
Today 03:02 AM
» Replies: 315
» Views: 194394
[REQUEST] Asus PRIME B460M-A modding bio...
Last Post: hnoimahi
Yesterday 08:04 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 255
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (62CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 05:34 AM
» Replies: 809
» Views: 247013
[REQUEST] Asus maximus X Code "fan profi...
Last Post: appletechgeek
Yesterday 12:12 AM
» Views: 130
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire S3-391 BIOS Unlock
04-26-2024 04:27 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 25769
[REQUEST] Lenovo V580(c) (H1ETxxWW) Whit...
04-26-2024 04:26 PM
» Replies: 588
» Views: 148262
[REQUEST] GL504GS BIOS unlock
Last Post: pl4gue
04-26-2024 12:19 PM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 59446
[REQUEST] Thinkpad T14S G3 AMD (Type 21C...
04-26-2024 04:37 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 162
[REQUEST] Lenovo B490 (H1ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: sardax
04-25-2024 10:03 PM
» Replies: 101
» Views: 32086
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire E1-571(G) BIOS Unl...
04-25-2024 04:44 PM
» Replies: 127
» Views: 58493
Acer Predator Helios 300 N17C1 G3-572-79...
Last Post: chadreuel
04-25-2024 11:39 AM
» Views: 175
[REQUEST] Acer Nitro 5 AN515-56 BIOS Unl...
04-25-2024 07:25 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 935
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
04-25-2024 03:52 AM
» Replies: 1972
» Views: 666165
[Request] Acer Aspire Z1620 (h61h aio v1...
Last Post: spingernexx
04-24-2024 06:09 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 220
[REQUEST] Lenovo G505 (82CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: khaos
04-24-2024 04:15 PM
» Replies: 155
» Views: 55786

Option ROM & Motherboard memory issue
If I'm posting this in the wrong place or if my issue is outside the realm of this site entirely, I apologize- this seemed like the most logical category & I haven't been able to get any useful assistance anywhere else...

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!

So, I've got a problem with one of my PCI-e add-on cards (Adaptec 1430SA HostRAID): I can't get its configuration utility to open during POST. When I invoke it the system freezes/hangs while it is loading. According to information I was directed to by Adaptec support, it seems that means there isn't enough memory. (Adaptec support was not very helpful once I finally managed to get a response from them. At this point, I've given up them. I certainly will NOT be giving them ANY more of my money and I'm currently saving for a replacement & upgrade. However, the real source of the problem is my motherboard which I will not be upgrading particularly soon- mainly because there is nothing that really seems significantly better and worth it at this time.)

(I was able to enter the config utility while it was installed on my previous MoBol- GA-X58A-UDR3 r1- and I believe on the other MoBo I used to have- Asus P6T Deluxe v2- but I don't recall for sure if I ever needed to enter the config utility while it was in that one.)

The firmware/BIOS of all my cards/boards/devices are as current as possible with officially available updates from manufacturers or resellers.

There are some functions & settings which are only accessible within the option ROM config utility, otherwise I'd just be happy that I can get it to POST & the option ROM to load successfully (just getting that to work was a bit of an ordeal itself!).

Unfortunately the issue doesn't end with the inability to run the card's config utility at POST. Actually there isn't even enough memory to load all of the option ROMs I want to use! And I've already disabled everything (configurably) possible within the CMOS utility/BIOS setup that isn't necessary for my setup.

It actually seems that if I have all the onboard devices are fully enabled and set to be 'bootable', there is barely just enough memory to load the option ROM of a single addon card, depending on its size!!! That is absolutely ABSURD! It really just aggravates me that Asus didn't just put in generous, or at least reasonable resources for this purpose! I guess I don't know, but I highly doubt that this memory is expensive at ALL. It's not as if they aren't aware of how much is required by the onboard components and how much is typically required by other types of addon cards- this was NOT an oversight! Just add whatever would be needed if every expansion slot where occupied! How much extra would that really cost?! Negligible compared to the headache & trouble it's causing me!

I've had two other x58 motherboards and niether of them had this problem (one other Asus & the Gigabyte listed above)- although their memory available for loading addon card option ROMs was still definitely limited as well. But I was able to deal with the limitations as they didn't seriously affect me.
I don't understand, I thought this was supposed to be the highest level/best enthusiast series- it shares the same socket & number of PCI-e lanes with the server line and seems to fairly similar in other capabilities.

In my current setup I must have my PCI-e add-on cards in specific expansion slots which are actually quite logistically frustrating because of cables & etc. in my chasis. But this counter-intuitive placement is required so that they load in a certain order during POST and I at least get the option ROMs to load for the controllers that absolutely MUST load before the OS in order for them to function properly if at all.
At the end of the POST I still get a message flashed on the screen about there not being enough memory to load the option ROM of xx card(s).

Pardon my ignorance, but I really only have a basic understanding of what goes on during the POST and the limitations of the protocols involved. I've actually had a hard time finding information on this topic that isn't obviously incorrect or that is excessively technical to the point that deciphering it is a major, time consuming chore for me.

Can someone please tell me... What memory exactly are all these option ROMs being loaded into? What is it called? What type of memory is it? Where is it physically located?

Is it possible to upgrade or increase that memory?
(I'm definitely down to solder if that would be involved...)

Or is there any way of reconfiguring how that memory is used? Or which memory is used?
I'm also interested in modifying the BIOS if possible to disable other functions/devices which are unnecessary- but not configurable- if this would free up some memory. Really I'd like to know any and all options avaiable which could in some manner let my option ROMs & config utilites all load & function!
That's what brought me to this site...

It seems clear that my installed RAM is not being (and likely cannot be) used for this purpose because I have NO shortage of that! Is that true? Or might there be some kind of 'work around'? Maybe a hidden/disabled BIOS setting or reconfiguration, or an alternate way of assigning resources, a re-allotment of some kind?

Is there anything I can do about this wih the MoBo & addon cards that I have?
I'm having a hard time accepting that nothing can be done to remedy this absurd short-coming of what is supposed to be a good, solid motherboard! I have to say- so far Asus has disappointed me & let me down significantly several times, and there have always been major (yet not initially obvious or at least obscured) design flaws or choice (& placement) of components with EVERY Asus product I've owned.

Anyway, for future reference: is there any way to tell ahead of time which MoBos have the resources/ability to load a reasonable number of option ROMs? Where/how would this be listed in the specs?

OK, some more details about my setup & configuration that may be helpful. And please just let me know if more information is needed! And BTW, I have pretty much all of my major hardware listed in the bio section of my profile.

Right now I have the Intel ICH10R in AHCI mode, as well as the Marvell 9128 (however its option ROM can't load because of memory limitation). The JMicron 363x is completely disabled, as is the FireWire controller, the LAN Option ROM, and the COM port. The USB3 controllers do not visibly load an option ROM during POST however any devices attached to the NEC are bootable- there is no option to disable its boot capabilities without disabling the device which I need & use.
The Asmedia SATA3 controller is automatically configured for AHCI & is host to my primary boot device.
I need to keep all of my SATA controllers configured as AHCI because they have SSDs connected to them.

I am most grateful for any information that anyone can share with me to help me understand more clearly exactly where/what this limitation is and any potential solutions. Links to sources of in-depth, reference material concerning this topic would also be greatly appreciated. I am capable of deciphering fairly technical writing; however, I am only relatively proficient at OS level operations & terminology. Somewhat broken down & explained information would be preferable.

Again, thank you SO much to anyone who helps me or has even read this far!
find
(09-13-2012, 01:13 AM)AuralArch Wrote: If I'm posting this in the wrong place or if my issue is outside the realm of this site entirely, I apologize- this seemed like the most logical category & I haven't been able to get any useful assistance anywhere else...

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!

So, I've got a problem with one of my PCI-e add-on cards (Adaptec 1430SA HostRAID): I can't get its configuration utility to open during POST. When I invoke it the system freezes/hangs while it is loading. According to information I was directed to by Adaptec support, it seems that means there isn't enough memory. (Adaptec support was not very helpful once I finally managed to get a response from them. At this point, I've given up them. I certainly will NOT be giving them ANY more of my money and I'm currently saving for a replacement & upgrade. However, the real source of the problem is my motherboard which I will not be upgrading particularly soon- mainly because there is nothing that really seems significantly better and worth it at this time.)

(I was able to enter the config utility while it was installed on my previous MoBol- GA-X58A-UDR3 r1- and I believe on the other MoBo I used to have- Asus P6T Deluxe v2- but I don't recall for sure if I ever needed to enter the config utility while it was in that one.)

The firmware/BIOS of all my cards/boards/devices are as current as possible with officially available updates from manufacturers or resellers.

There are some functions & settings which are only accessible within the option ROM config utility, otherwise I'd just be happy that I can get it to POST & the option ROM to load successfully (just getting that to work was a bit of an ordeal itself!).

Unfortunately the issue doesn't end with the inability to run the card's config utility at POST. Actually there isn't even enough memory to load all of the option ROMs I want to use! And I've already disabled everything (configurably) possible within the CMOS utility/BIOS setup that isn't necessary for my setup.

It actually seems that if I have all the onboard devices are fully enabled and set to be 'bootable', there is barely just enough memory to load the option ROM of a single addon card, depending on its size!!! That is absolutely ABSURD! It really just aggravates me that Asus didn't just put in generous, or at least reasonable resources for this purpose! I guess I don't know, but I highly doubt that this memory is expensive at ALL. It's not as if they aren't aware of how much is required by the onboard components and how much is typically required by other types of addon cards- this was NOT an oversight! Just add whatever would be needed if every expansion slot where occupied! How much extra would that really cost?! Negligible compared to the headache & trouble it's causing me!

I've had two other x58 motherboards and niether of them had this problem (one other Asus & the Gigabyte listed above)- although their memory available for loading addon card option ROMs was still definitely limited as well. But I was able to deal with the limitations as they didn't seriously affect me.
I don't understand, I thought this was supposed to be the highest level/best enthusiast series- it shares the same socket & number of PCI-e lanes with the server line and seems to fairly similar in other capabilities.

In my current setup I must have my PCI-e add-on cards in specific expansion slots which are actually quite logistically frustrating because of cables & etc. in my chasis. But this counter-intuitive placement is required so that they load in a certain order during POST and I at least get the option ROMs to load for the controllers that absolutely MUST load before the OS in order for them to function properly if at all.
At the end of the POST I still get a message flashed on the screen about there not being enough memory to load the option ROM of xx card(s).

Pardon my ignorance, but I really only have a basic understanding of what goes on during the POST and the limitations of the protocols involved. I've actually had a hard time finding information on this topic that isn't obviously incorrect or that is excessively technical to the point that deciphering it is a major, time consuming chore for me.

Can someone please tell me... What memory exactly are all these option ROMs being loaded into? What is it called? What type of memory is it? Where is it physically located?

Is it possible to upgrade or increase that memory?
(I'm definitely down to solder if that would be involved...)

Or is there any way of reconfiguring how that memory is used? Or which memory is used?
I'm also interested in modifying the BIOS if possible to disable other functions/devices which are unnecessary- but not configurable- if this would free up some memory. Really I'd like to know any and all options avaiable which could in some manner let my option ROMs & config utilites all load & function!
That's what brought me to this site...

It seems clear that my installed RAM is not being (and likely cannot be) used for this purpose because I have NO shortage of that! Is that true? Or might there be some kind of 'work around'? Maybe a hidden/disabled BIOS setting or reconfiguration, or an alternate way of assigning resources, a re-allotment of some kind?

Is there anything I can do about this wih the MoBo & addon cards that I have?
I'm having a hard time accepting that nothing can be done to remedy this absurd short-coming of what is supposed to be a good, solid motherboard! I have to say- so far Asus has disappointed me & let me down significantly several times, and there have always been major (yet not initially obvious or at least obscured) design flaws or choice (& placement) of components with EVERY Asus product I've owned.

Anyway, for future reference: is there any way to tell ahead of time which MoBos have the resources/ability to load a reasonable number of option ROMs? Where/how would this be listed in the specs?

OK, some more details about my setup & configuration that may be helpful. And please just let me know if more information is needed! And BTW, I have pretty much all of my major hardware listed in the bio section of my profile.

Right now I have the Intel ICH10R in AHCI mode, as well as the Marvell 9128 (however its option ROM can't load because of memory limitation). The JMicron 363x is completely disabled, as is the FireWire controller, the LAN Option ROM, and the COM port. The USB3 controllers do not visibly load an option ROM during POST however any devices attached to the NEC are bootable- there is no option to disable its boot capabilities without disabling the device which I need & use.
The Asmedia SATA3 controller is automatically configured for AHCI & is host to my primary boot device.
I need to keep all of my SATA controllers configured as AHCI because they have SSDs connected to them.

I am most grateful for any information that anyone can share with me to help me understand more clearly exactly where/what this limitation is and any potential solutions. Links to sources of in-depth, reference material concerning this topic would also be greatly appreciated. I am capable of deciphering fairly technical writing; however, I am only relatively proficient at OS level operations & terminology. Somewhat broken down & explained information would be preferable.

Again, thank you SO much to anyone who helps me or has even read this far!

I think you didn't look enough there is plenty of information but I can be wrong I'm not an expert either. I think on most mainboard the size for the option rom is only about 64kb - 100kb. A vga bios for a laptop is already 60kb hence the room is very tiny. The problem with the pc is because in the beginning a pc has only 640kb ram and ram was very expensive. Hence all the hardware and software is now build around this because of compatibility problems etc. For example there is also the little endian thing. The thing is not so complicated in the home computer with c-64, atari st and amiga. There are some solution availabe but it's left to the hardware and bios makers.
find