Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
Analyze java class System Identifier cod...
Last Post: Hasan jeet
Today 03:44 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 20
[REQUEST] Lenovo G710 BIOS Whitelist Rem...
Last Post: sscdimon
Today 01:53 PM
» Replies: 471
» Views: 132755
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: cpih
Today 12:03 PM
» Replies: 846
» Views: 328765
Delete Whitelist HP 15s-eq1000
Last Post: gdefareins
Today 09:02 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 163
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y470 & Y570 (47CNxxWW) ...
Last Post: jabbari74
Today 03:37 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 18142
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad T420 (83ETxxWW...
Last Post: lucasow
Today 03:02 AM
» Replies: 315
» Views: 194397
[REQUEST] Asus PRIME B460M-A modding bio...
Last Post: hnoimahi
Yesterday 08:04 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 255
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (62CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 05:34 AM
» Replies: 809
» Views: 247016
[REQUEST] Asus maximus X Code "fan profi...
Last Post: appletechgeek
Yesterday 12:12 AM
» Views: 130
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire S3-391 BIOS Unlock
04-26-2024 04:27 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 25772
[REQUEST] Lenovo V580(c) (H1ETxxWW) Whit...
04-26-2024 04:26 PM
» Replies: 588
» Views: 148265
[REQUEST] GL504GS BIOS unlock
Last Post: pl4gue
04-26-2024 12:19 PM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 59448
[REQUEST] Thinkpad T14S G3 AMD (Type 21C...
04-26-2024 04:37 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 162
[REQUEST] Lenovo B490 (H1ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: sardax
04-25-2024 10:03 PM
» Replies: 101
» Views: 32086
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire E1-571(G) BIOS Unl...
04-25-2024 04:44 PM
» Replies: 127
» Views: 58496
Acer Predator Helios 300 N17C1 G3-572-79...
Last Post: chadreuel
04-25-2024 11:39 AM
» Views: 175
[REQUEST] Acer Nitro 5 AN515-56 BIOS Unl...
04-25-2024 07:25 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 936
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
04-25-2024 03:52 AM
» Replies: 1972
» Views: 666171
[Request] Acer Aspire Z1620 (h61h aio v1...
Last Post: spingernexx
04-24-2024 06:09 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 220
[REQUEST] Lenovo G505 (82CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: khaos
04-24-2024 04:15 PM
» Replies: 155
» Views: 55786

$250 BOUNTY: Intel Compute Stick BIOS mod needed
(03-24-2019, 09:06 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Try new version - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b2OK2w...Rgjft1LHnF

Same result:

D:\>AMIClean3.exe
ssybesma's version 3
ERROR: Read NVRAM - The system could not find the environment option that was entered.
find
Sorry. I don't know the reason. So I can't help you...
Ask Lost_N_BIOS for help with CH341A.
find
(03-24-2019, 09:50 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Sorry. I don't know the reason. So I can't help you...

I figured we might have to go the hardware route. I can't imagine there would be any impediment there.

I guess you use some kind of software with the the CH341A, but I have no idea.

I'm willing to sacrifice one of these in case the re-flashing bricks it and it can't be recovered.

But if it's successful...we can probably sell the re-flashed ones on Ebay for a premium.  Wasn't my original intent, but just sayin'.

I bet thousands of people would appreciate having a tiny PC that runs old versions of Windows and DOS OSes and apps.

There ARE thousands of these unopened still on the market after 4 years...the guy I bought from still has almost 2,000 of them.
find
(03-24-2019, 01:42 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Setup_var works on plenty of BIOS, you can ignore that Insyde BIOS warning, I use it all the time on old and modern AMI BIOS

On H@0UVE - ISHI error is normal, if you get no output from any (In Win7/8) then none work, nothing to do there but forget about these tools.

Back to setup_var, we still may be able to do, using modified setup_var files (there is two others), but I'll wait now and let DeathBringer try to help you on this for a while before I jump back in, so it's less confusing.

I can mod BIOS for you and change these settings in less than a minute, no problem there, but finding a way for you to write back mod Intel BIOS is the issue.  This is why I said in my very first reply you need programmer and SOIC8 test clip, we'd be done on post #3-4 if you had these tools Big Grin

OK, LNB...

You're my last hope.

Let me know what I should do next.

I'm shopping for a Pomona Electronics 5250 SOIC8 clip and the split ribbon cable and a good-quality CH341A.

I sent you a PM with some potential good info along with my contact info.

Thanks!

Steve
find
I get same error with your tool DeathBringer, first version only (FYI - on Z87MX-D3H motherboard), could not download next two versions but will test for you if you want (Have 100's of boards if you need certain chipsets or BIOS types tested).

ssybesma - yes, hardware flash programmer will not have any of these issues, and this is common issue with many Intel BIOS, that's why I suggested to purchase this in my very first reply.

Yes, here is software for CH341A, all the main versions + the main driver
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...5007472602
Here's a guide on how to set it all up properly - https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G...programmer

You only need one cable, SOIC8 test clip + cable set. Unless you purchase a Pamona clip, then yes you would need to order a bunch of single Dupont cables with pins, to make an easily confusing mess and connect it. Like these for example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/142746832296
CH341A - https://www.ebay.com/itm/201316582787
Less confusing SOIC8 test clip + Cable set - https://www.ebay.com/itm/382486015977

Once you pop open one of your samples and remove the heatsink to see the BIOS, tell me the BIOS ID and I can tell you which software version works best and what chip ID to use (if not exact one, sometimes exact not best)
find
(03-24-2019, 11:06 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: I get same error with your tool DeathBringer, first version only (FYI - on Z87MX-D3H motherboard), could not download next two versions but will test for you if you want (Have 100's of boards if you need certain chipsets or BIOS types tested).

ssybesma - yes, hardware flash programmer will not have any of these issues, and this is common issue with many Intel BIOS, that's why I suggested to purchase this in my very first reply.

Yes, here is software for CH341A, all the main versions + the main driver
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...5007472602
Here's a guide on how to set it all up properly - https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G...programmer

You only need one cable, SOIC8 test clip + cable set.  Unless you purchase a Pamona clip, then yes you would need to order a bunch of single Dupont cables with pins, to make an easily confusing mess and connect it.  Like these for example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/142746832296
CH341A - https://www.ebay.com/itm/201316582787
Less confusing SOIC8 test clip + Cable set - https://www.ebay.com/itm/382486015977

Once you pop open one of your samples and remove the heatsink to see the BIOS, tell me the BIOS ID and I can tell you which software version works best and what chip ID to use (if not exact one, sometimes exact not best)

OK, I'll order the stuff today along with some plastic pry sticks. I can do this if I'm careful.

The Pomona SOIC8 I read was less susceptible to slipping off the CMOS chip so I wanted to make sure that was good at least.

I want to get a good firmware dump with no issues.

I'll let you know when I get this done, but if you read my PMs you may be convinced there's a Legacy BIOS hiding in there somewhere after using the UEFITool.

If we get this working I'll be so damned excited I can't contain myself.  Unless the Atom processor and chipset itself don't support Legacy/CSM I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work.
find
It's OK, same for the cheap clip too, they all can slip, it's tiny pins and small chip, you just have to be careful and put in place gently.

As mentioned, I have already looked at this .BIO file in many tools, and as I already know, Intel BIOS cannot be used for what you want, you must dump the BIOS. I can send you edited BIOS right now from that .BIO file and can guarantee you two things, first you cannot flash it, and second if you had programmer in your hand right now it would only brick the device.

Stop wasting your time looking into that file, it's nothing but a waste of your time. I know Intel BIOS, and I looked at this BIOS, while it's not normal Intel or Insyde BIOS, it's also not complete BIOS, so cannot be used for your intentions, dumped BIOS only can do what you want.

You are correct, Intel is about to force UEFI only soon, I've seen other BIOS for normal desktop boards with only UEFI option, but none with a disable option like yours has, so you may be interim and can still disable it on this device, otherwise they'd remove the disable option.
find
(03-27-2019, 01:33 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: It's OK, same for the cheap clip too, they all can slip, it's tiny pins and small chip, you just have to be careful and put in place gently.  

As mentioned, I have already looked at this .BIO file in many tools, and as I already know, Intel BIOS cannot be used for what you want, you must dump the BIOS.  I can send you edited BIOS right now from that .BIO file and can guarantee you two things, first you cannot flash it, and second if you had programmer in your hand right now it would only brick the device.

Stop wasting your time looking into that file, it's nothing but a waste of your time.  I know Intel BIOS, and I looked at this BIOS, while it's not normal Intel or Insyde BIOS, it's also not complete BIOS, so cannot be used for your intentions, dumped BIOS only can do what you want.

You are correct, Intel is about to force UEFI only soon, I've seen other BIOS for normal desktop boards with only UEFI option, but none with a disable option like yours has, so you may be interim and can still disable it on this device, otherwise they'd remove the disable option.

OK LnB, so when you get the dumped BIOS you would modify it and then it has to be flashed back to the chip the same way it was dumped, correct?

Was hoping for a modified file that I could use to flash in the normal way (mostly for the purposes of distribution and to help other people with these).

Otherwise, I can do my own however is needed and suppose I can provide a service once I get some practice at doing this.  ;P

Thanks, Steve
find
(03-27-2019, 01:33 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: It's OK, same for the cheap clip too, they all can slip, it's tiny pins and small chip, you just have to be careful and put in place gently.  

As mentioned, I have already looked at this .BIO file in many tools, and as I already know, Intel BIOS cannot be used for what you want, you must dump the BIOS.  I can send you edited BIOS right now from that .BIO file and can guarantee you two things, first you cannot flash it, and second if you had programmer in your hand right now it would only brick the device.

Stop wasting your time looking into that file, it's nothing but a waste of your time.  I know Intel BIOS, and I looked at this BIOS, while it's not normal Intel or Insyde BIOS, it's also not complete BIOS, so cannot be used for your intentions, dumped BIOS only can do what you want.

OK LnB, so when you get the dumped BIOS you would modify it and then it has to be flashed back to the chip the same way it was dumped, correct?

Was hoping for a modified file that I could use to flash in the normal way (mostly for the purposes of distribution and to help other people with these).

Otherwise, I can do my own however is needed and suppose I can provide a service once I get some practice at doing this.  ;P

Go ahead and shoot me the other two setup_var options that you have and I'll try while I'm waiting for my shipment to get here.

Thanks, Steve
find
Yes, dump, modify, program back.  This is always case for all Intel branded BIOS, at least any in recent times.
For others, they would need to do the same on their end, no way to share a modified flashable BIOS.  However, I have not tested this on this board/setup etc, so you could be in unique situation.  
I will mod .BIO for you, then you try to flash and see if you get security error/violation, capsule error, crc error or invalid BIOS etc (Expected)
This BIOS has only a single byte change (@ 5x locations), the same one we're trying to change via setup_var
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...2586540086

Other setup_var methods are where you use two other modified grub files to boot to (one at a time)
One has setup_var2 command option and other has setup_var3 command option, show me image of each files output after you put in command and enter.  
This you use same as before, only setup_var2 0xC9 0x0
Or-------------------------------------- setup_var3 0xC9 0x0

setup_var2 get here - http://brains.by/posts/bootx64.7z
Reference/source - https://habr.com/en/post/190354/

setup_var3 get here in the "Releases" Tab at middle/top
https://github.com/datasone/grub-mod-setup_var

But, due to going ahead with mod below, I can see why setup_var might not be able to change it, at least not the regular setup_var
2/3 version might be able to, but original wouldn't because I'm making the same change in 5 different places, and regular setup_var only looks at a single one, which may or may not be the "used" one for this BIOS since I found 5x places to make same settings change.  setup_var2/3 designed for this purpose, so might have better luck, but still might miss the 1 out of 5 that's actually the one being used.

Good thing you kept me on this!  I've found more possible solutions/methods, but also probably locked by various means, but more things we can get into nonetheless Big Grin

Sadly though, aside from the usual checks within actual BIOS that I've noticed, I also see 50+ possible checks that can fail in the stock little 22KB UEFIFlash.efi program as well Sad  We can mod around those, but it's a long list and something I'd really need sample in hand to plow through 40-50+ test flashes with 50x+ different modifications, and that's just to get past this flashing methods lock (before all the usual BIOS locking methods kick into effect)

I see Intel Management Info in this BIOS, so if ME FW is used, we may be able to flash via FPT (Per user dumps, same as programmer)
Check BIOS main page, do you see ME Firmware #?  If not, check in windows with HWINFO64, on large window expand motherboard then see if you see ME area inside there, if yes check and tell me what is ME FW version.  If you do not see, check download page for this stick and see if you find ME drivers listed, if you do, install them, reboot and then check again with HWINFO64

Never mind the ME stuff above, I found it!  You have TXE type ME 1.2.0.1149 in this BIOS.  Along with "Intel Fixed Flashing Certificates" Which is why I said I knew you couldn't flash mod BIOS, I also suspect you probably have protected range register set on the BIOS currently flashed in, so you'll get a FPT flash protected range error when trying to reflash BIOS region via FPT. The latter can be overcome too, which would allow FPT flash by everyone, but it's done via a BIOS Mod that can only be programmed into the chip first before the lock is removed.  There is an app (x2) that can possibly unlock without having to do that, but you'll have to try it and see outcome.  That should only be done once you have programmer in hand and have backed up the BIOS and verified the backup is valid by checking in BIOS tools or having someone check for you.  In case the program messes up the BIOS.  This program is PRR/PRR2, ran from DOS

Here is PRR/PRR2 apps for later testing/usage - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...6104882436
Here is Intel ME System Tools for TXE V1, download in section "C" v1 R3 Package
https://www.win-raid.com/t624f39-Intel-T...Tools.html

Once ME Tools downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Win32 folder.  Select that Win32 folder (or use DOS files on root of USB), hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).  At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin  

If using DOS Version, only FPT.exe (no "w") and be sure to copy all files from DOS Folder to root of DOS bootable USB
find