Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
Fujitsu Esprimo P5710 - unlock [REQUEST]
Last Post: monkeywrench
Today 11:31 AM
» Replies: 31
» Views: 618
Lenovo Z50-70: CPU update
Last Post: PedroFX
Yesterday 07:20 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 161
My Gateway NV57h has an ACER in BIOS - c...
Last Post: drmrsolds
Yesterday 05:42 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 2043
Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)/USB 3.1
Last Post: Jedrek
Yesterday 09:49 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 2279
[Request] Acer Aspire 3050 unlocked BIOS
Last Post: prowindows62
Yesterday 07:43 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 99
HP H-IG41-uATX 45nm microcode update LGA...
Last Post: goldenhill
Yesterday 04:49 AM
» Replies: 58
» Views: 56632
Asus h61m-d & xeon e3-1265l v2
Last Post: DeathBringer
05-03-2024 04:28 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 207
[REQUEST] - Acer Swift 3 SF314-41G bios ...
Last Post: ersan
05-03-2024 03:03 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 161
[REQUEST] Lenovo G780 advanced menu
Last Post: Dudu2002
05-03-2024 09:41 AM
» Replies: 43
» Views: 17071
[REQUEST] ThinkPad T14 Gen1 Intel BIOS W...
Last Post: SSV CHAOTIC
05-03-2024 05:19 AM
» Views: 158
[REQUEST] Lenovo Ideapad 100-14IBD & 100...
Last Post: Dudu2002
05-03-2024 03:48 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 6987
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad U310 & U410 (65...
Last Post: 5CarPileup
05-03-2024 02:04 AM
» Replies: 1767
» Views: 380705
HP Pro 3500: CPU Upgrade
Last Post: DeathBringer
05-03-2024 12:13 AM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 4604
[READ FIRST] Access Advanced settings th...
Last Post: Klinzah
05-02-2024 05:11 PM
» Replies: 424
» Views: 569574
[REQUEST] Asus eeepc 1025C
Last Post: sloseba123
05-02-2024 04:44 PM
» Replies: 87
» Views: 110525
HP EliteBook 840 g2 NVMe
Last Post: x86-64
05-02-2024 06:30 AM
» Views: 128
[Request] Dell 7400 2 in 1 Computrace/Ab...
Last Post: Lorand187
05-01-2024 10:34 PM
» Views: 182
[REQUEST] Gigabyte B75M-D3H BIOS Unlock
Last Post: topadefir
05-01-2024 12:56 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 4073
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H9ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: samugarob
05-01-2024 10:08 AM
» Replies: 674
» Views: 168889
[REQUEST] Asus GL504GV BIOS Unlock
Last Post: merjeu
05-01-2024 09:28 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 1730

$250 BOUNTY: Intel Compute Stick BIOS mod needed
(03-28-2019, 12:52 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Yes, dump, modify, program back.  This is always case for all Intel branded BIOS, at least any in recent times.
For others, they would need to do the same on their end, no way to share a modified flashable BIOS.  However, I have not tested this on this board/setup etc, so you could be in unique situation.  
I will mod .BIO for you, then you try to flash and see if you get security error/violation, capsule error, crc error or invalid BIOS etc (Expected)
This BIOS has only a single byte change (@ 5x locations), the same one we're trying to change via setup_var
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...2586540086

<clipped>

OK, thanks for all the info.

My confidence level is increasing a little so as long as I don't speed along too fast and skip stuff I'll be alright as far as getting the firmware dumped.

Another question that came up while reading about the CH341A chip-based boards, is a EZP2010 comparable to that? Does it do the same stuff or even more? Was just curious.
find
Why waste all that space with huge quote? I thought I wrote out too much already Big Grin

Yes, go slow so you don't get lost or go crazy Big Grin You can try to flash the mod BIOS I sent you first, do not flash that with FPT, only stock flash tools that come with the BIOS download or built into BIOS, or linked on Intel's page for this device to flash BIOS. With FPT, only make a backup for now, then later I will have you reflash only that backup as a test and then a mod as a test. Always provide images of any errors you see when trying to flash, and with FPT, stop when/if you see any red error or "size" error and do not proceed with the flash.

After that, you can try the two setup_var methods and see what that gets you, take some images so I can see too.

PRR/PRR2 thing, we'll possibly use that later, once we get into the FPT stock backup flash and the attempt at mod FPT backup flash if stock one flashes back in without error. I suspect even flashing back the stock dump right after you create it will fail due to some locks, so this is why I need to see images, to see what we're up against so I can tell you if that can be solved via PRR/PRR2, or if only by mod BIOS programmed back in like usual.

For the FPT backup, once you create it via the command above, go ahead and immediately try to flash it back using this command below, sorry I should have mentioned this initially. Then send me the backup file you created too, along with any error image when trying to flash back the stock FPT backup

FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

Again, DO NOT Flash stock BIOS This way ^^ With FPT, ONLY FPT backup can be flashed back like this.

Yes, EZP2010 and EZP2013 are all same as the cheap CH341A I sent you link to, just in different package (ie PCB is mounted in larger board with plastic cover (probably $2 or less actual added materials cost = $10-15 more price on your end) and comes with various cables etc) All same programmer though, all do same.
find
(03-28-2019, 01:52 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Why waste all that space with huge quote?  I thought I wrote out too much already Big Grin

<clipped>

Yeah, lazy habit of mine. Oh, well.

This is getting to be some exciting stuff...never got my hands dirty like this before but it's really good for me to learn.

I have the aptitude as far as trying to be accurate and being a perfectionist about stuff.  I'm very methodical.

So one way or another this will get done.

The first generation of that Intel Compute Stick is the one I have, which came out 2015. I guess it being older is a better thing for the chances of this being successful.

BTW, you'll never believe it but I got bold and contacted Brian Richardson (firmware guru) at Intel about whether this should be possible.

I'm going to continue doing this with anyone I can find there who can give me a straight answer.  It would be fantastic to figure out who the product manager was for that specific product to pick his brain.  I have the nerve to do that kind of stuff. Why not?   Tongue

The closest to addressing my specific question so far was the following (after which I was a little more adamant about old Windows and DOS but I did not include that here...if he replies again I'll post it, but no guarantees):

==========================================================================================

I work on firmware standards & ecosystem issues, so I don't know what would be involved in enabling Legacy/CSM on that specific product. I don't know if the feature is lurking undocumented in the background, or if the CSM isn't present at all in the production image.

Putting a UEFI enabled Linux distro on the Compute Stick might be a better path than trying to enable DOS. I haven't booted mine in a while, but it has run a few different 'lightweight' Linux distros. Hopefully I can find free time (ha) to play with it again.

Thanks ... br
---
Director of Ecosystem & Business Development, Firmware Integration & Development (FID)
https://software.intel.com/en-us/meet-th...richardson
find
Sweet clipping Big Grin

I enjoy this too, as you can probably tell Smile I like to win though, so hopefully if nothing else pans out, at least we can beat this eventually when you get the programmer setup.

I doubt Intel will be of any help on this, but it would be cool if he drops you any hints. What's he going on about "Enable DOS"?
You can boot it to DOS anytime right, boot to USB DOS? I've never used these so no experience on what they really are.
find
(03-28-2019, 02:47 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Sweet clipping Big Grin

I enjoy this too, as you can probably tell Smile  I like to win though, so hopefully if nothing else pans out, at least we can beat this eventually when you get the programmer setup.

I doubt Intel will be of any help on this, but it would be cool if he drops you any hints.  What's he going on about "Enable DOS"?
You can boot it to DOS anytime right, boot to USB DOS?  I've never used these so no experience on what they really are.

No, things like a bootable FreeDOS USB stick absolutely do not work on this. That's what got me started. Once I figured out I could run other Linux distros (and I even got Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit working on this - with a Windows SOC driver package borrowed from a newer model - when it wasn't supposed to work but it's super "TOIT PANTS" as Goldmember would say) then I realized what I was ultimately trying to do and I've been on this obsession ever since.

In order to boot to any non-UEFI operating system, the firmware (not really 'BIOS' because that is what the old firmware before UEFI was called) has to support Legacy BIOS (which has been called Compatibility Support Module since it became a sideline add-on to UEFI).

When Intel finally removes CSM from all devices next year, we're all going to be stuck with nothing older than Windows 8.1 and whatever the first UEFI enabled Linux was. That is unless you like being restricted to using VirtualBox or VMware, which I don't particular favor as much as an old OS running directly on the hardware unfettered.  VMs on this resource-starved thing would truly be impossible or lets say insanity-inducing even if it were.

You think about it...not sure how old you are, but a PC having 1GB RAM and 8GB storage would have been considered an insanely generous and non-existent wet dream right after Windows 98SE came out and was still VERY excellent (especially RAM)  when Windows XP first came out.

https://www.technologytips.com/windows-s...uirements/

That is where this fits in so damned beautifully. You could (for only $30 DOLLARS) have a full blown kick-@$$ legacy PC that fits in your shirt pocket anytime you want to play DOS or Windows (up to XP) games with power to spare (and Atom processors are a joke). I don't mean DOSBox either...I mean a completely configurable, full-featured DOS and Windows, which is easy to obtain but hardly anyone uses anymore.

Only thing I can imagine might be an obstacle are the SOC (System on a Chip) and what would be needed as far as device drivers.  There might be ways to get around that.  Heck if you can get around firmware issues, almost anything seems possible. It's part of the adventure.

TELL YOU WHAT, just shoot me a PM with your shipping address and I'll give you an early birthday or Christmas present...then you can see as well as smell what I'm cooking.  He'll, I'm going to have 12 of these anyway...maybe more.  The seller won't be running out anytime soon...nobody's buying them and apparently nobody thought to do what I want to do.  I hope he doesn't cut his losses and do the E.T. thing at the New Mexico landfill (don't know if you know that story from the 1980's).

It would be nice for you to have one of these for yourself to tinker with. Would make it easier for us to work together on this.
find
So it's a computer on a stick, correct? What can you connect though, a screen and what else, a single USB or two?

I do know what you mean about older OS like XP, I still use XP for certain thing too. And yes, I know about the games in the landfill, that would be a shame if done with these since they're all still working and usable.

Cheapest one I see on ebay is right around $30 and I don't have that to spare right now Sad

Did you make FPT backup yet? If yes, did you try to flash it back yet?
If yes, also send me that copy to remod for you in case we can get FPT flash working eventually.

* Edit - proof of what we're doing is possible (ie disable secure boot = enabling legacy) - https://github.com/WebReflection/archibold.io/issues/3
Since no method given there, and mentioned briefly, sounds like you should be able to see and change this setting in the BIOS yourself easily? Can you not see this option?
find
(03-28-2019, 10:33 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: So it's a computer on a stick, correct?  What can you connect though, a screen and what else, a single USB or two?

I do know what you mean about older OS like XP, I still use XP for certain thing too.  And yes, I know about the games in the landfill, that would be a shame if done with these since they're all still working and usable.

Cheapest one I see on ebay is right around $30 and I don't have that to spare right now Sad

Did you make FPT backup yet?  If yes, did you try to flash it back yet?  
If yes, also send me that copy to remod for you in case we can get FPT flash working eventually.

Right, it has a micro USB power port, a single USB 2.0 port, and HDMI plug to go into a monitor or TV, a microSDXC card slot, built in wi-fi and Bluetooth, 1GB RAM and 8GB eMMC...on mine I use a non-powered USB 2.0 hub with 4 ports. It's definitely more than enough to tinker around with. I've been working steadily on the Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit to chop it down...got rid of two unneeded partitions and will be using NTLite to trim it down to the minimum before I do a Clonezilla image. Imaging is essential when you get things down to where they're working.

One tricky problem I'm working on now has to do with the swap file not wanting to live on the 8GB microSD card I added. I'll figure that out.

But, no matter how well I get that working it will never be close to enough. Gotta be able to do older OSes that need much less resources. Drivers could be a challenge but as a tech guy that's a challenge I feel a lot more comfortable with.

Geez, dude...I'll send you one of mine you can keep to help keep you going on this.  No problem.  Send your shipping address.

My life is set up good, I'm 57 years old and I'm not hurting. Let me send you one for nothing, OK?

Sometimes two people working on the same hardware can get it done a lot faster.

I just completed my order on Amazon for a nice set of pry tools to get into the ICS plus a Pomona 5250, plus a cable with the little SOP16/8-DIP8 board.

I just put in a $42.50 offer for a Willem PCB6.0E LPT which is actually supposed to have a fantastic reputation and can do everything CH341A does and more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-PCB6-0-E...%3D290924359652%26itm%3D290924359652&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

I bought a brand new, never opened Dell E-port Plus docking station ($29 and free ship) for my E6400 laptop so I can have a parallel port for the Willem.

I should be all set to go!  Hoping to have all the new toys by late next week.
find
Did you see my edit above? Smile So, with only one USB Port, how do you KB/Mouse?

You need F/M Dupont cables to use with Pomona clip, unless you pull them off the clip w/ the DIP board and cobble it together with the Pomona clip
I'd have to see this cable to be sure.

You're right, two people working on this at once will be better, but I don't want to send out my address so we'll have to wait until I can find one cheaper or I have some extra $$ to spare.
find
(03-29-2019, 01:24 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Did you see my edit above?  Smile  So, with only one USB Port, how do you KB/Mouse?

You need F/M Dupont cables to use with Pomona clip, unless you pull them off the clip w/ the DIP board and cobble it together with the Pomona clip
I'd have to see this cable to be sure.

You're right, two people working on this at once will be better, but I don't want to send out my address so we'll have to wait until I can find one cheaper or I have some extra $$ to spare.

With only one USB port you have a few options, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard or you can do like I did and use a non-powered USB 2.0 4-port hub and either plug in a wired keyboard and mouse, or else a wireless keyboard and mouse that use the same USB receiver (that last one is my setup).

Here's the cable I got (with a cheaper clip that I won't be using) it includes the little SOP16/8-DIP8 board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQH...UTF8&psc=1

That little SOP16/8-DIP8 board has two rows of 4-pin headers to join together the ribbon cable to the top of the Willem PCB6.0E LPT so all good there.

If you send your email address I can PayPal the $30 to you as a gift.

I really want you to be able to work on one of these to see the quirks and then you'll figure out how to get around them. That's what I've been doing. Challenging little thing. If you want to use a 64-bit EFI shell so that you can make use of the Intel Integrator Kit, you have to create an UEFI boot stick with Rufus. Weird device has 64-bit processor with 32-bit EFI shell.
find
I just purchased the Willem 6.0E LPT today after my $42.50 offer was accepted.
find