Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)/USB 3.1
Last Post: Jedrek
Today 09:49 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 2255
Lenovo Z50-70: CPU update
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 09:26 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 79
[Request] Acer Aspire 3050 unlocked BIOS
Last Post: prowindows62
Today 07:43 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 47
Fujitsu Esprimo P5710 - unlock [REQUEST]
Last Post: Maxinator500
Today 07:16 AM
» Replies: 18
» Views: 453
HP H-IG41-uATX 45nm microcode update LGA...
Last Post: goldenhill
Today 04:49 AM
» Replies: 58
» Views: 56532
Asus h61m-d & xeon e3-1265l v2
Yesterday 04:28 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 162
[REQUEST] - Acer Swift 3 SF314-41G bios ...
Last Post: ersan
Yesterday 03:03 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 134
[REQUEST] Lenovo G780 advanced menu
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 09:41 AM
» Replies: 43
» Views: 17025
[REQUEST] ThinkPad T14 Gen1 Intel BIOS W...
Last Post: SSV CHAOTIC
Yesterday 05:19 AM
» Views: 128
[REQUEST] Lenovo Ideapad 100-14IBD & 100...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 03:48 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 6895
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad U310 & U410 (65...
Last Post: 5CarPileup
Yesterday 02:04 AM
» Replies: 1767
» Views: 380162
HP Pro 3500: CPU Upgrade
Yesterday 12:13 AM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 4557
[READ FIRST] Access Advanced settings th...
Last Post: Klinzah
05-02-2024 05:11 PM
» Replies: 424
» Views: 568899
[REQUEST] Asus eeepc 1025C
Last Post: sloseba123
05-02-2024 04:44 PM
» Replies: 87
» Views: 110463
HP EliteBook 840 g2 NVMe
Last Post: x86-64
05-02-2024 06:30 AM
» Views: 115
[Request] Dell 7400 2 in 1 Computrace/Ab...
Last Post: Lorand187
05-01-2024 10:34 PM
» Views: 164
[REQUEST] Gigabyte B75M-D3H BIOS Unlock
Last Post: topadefir
05-01-2024 12:56 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 4055
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H9ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: samugarob
05-01-2024 10:08 AM
» Replies: 674
» Views: 168695
[REQUEST] Asus GL504GV BIOS Unlock
Last Post: merjeu
05-01-2024 09:28 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 1721
[REQUEST] Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC BIOS Un...
Last Post: George205
05-01-2024 09:22 AM
» Replies: 167
» Views: 68737

AMI BIOS Small Company: All OEM Fields Empty
I purchased a laptop and took a gamble. It's a decent machine, and when I bought it I paid half as much as an Alienware m11 and had a system with better components. The seller was nice enough to discount me some because I had my own HDD and RAM to put in as well. Unfortunately, I know very little about laptops and this is the first one I've purchased since 2001 for graduate school. I build my own desktops so I'm not completely ignorant and I've spent a TON of time trying to track down the ODM of this laptop and I simply have had no luck. I found the actual company that sells it out of China but the contact didn't reply to me.

System
i3-350m
nVidia GT 335m
WD Scorpio 500 GB HDD
8 GB DDR3
14" RGB LED
Realtek RTL8191SE PCI-E Wireless
Realtek RTL8167 100Mb LAN Adapter

I have no idea what motherboard is in this. The seller included a driver disc and had perfect ratings on eBay, but this was his first laptop venture and I think it bit him in the rear because getting any driver updates is impossible. I had to use a modded display adapter driver since n-suck-vidia said this wasn't a supported device. The only way I found out who mfg. the laptop was the user manual .pdf properties, it had the model # the Chinese company used. There were a few posts on technet I found when someone was getting drivers working for it. He never replied either. Angry

The BIOS is a complete joke and I want to know the ODM of the motherboard/laptop if possible. I've used every program I know to read all the system info. and all the fields used as descriptors are just blank and say OEM.

Long story short, my laptop had a rootkit on it. The date and time for the changes were the day I did my taxes at my in-laws. I'm guessing rootkits can easily proliferate over a homegroup? My log had a ton of attempts from my mother-in-laws laptop (she's not smart enough to do anything malicious). I ended up having to completely rebuild the mbr in the recovery console using bootrec.exe and bcdedit.exe to rebuild the registry. I'm almost certain I did remove the rootkit but I'm not certain because this BIOS puts some b.s. ATA Erase lock on my HDD when originally trying to use BCWipe TotalWipeout. I wasn't sure if it would work on my desktop by plugging the power in to the laptop HDD after the BIOS posts (probably going to try it later). Since getting the rootkit (mainly a redirector I believe but all AV stuff didn't definitively give any specific name which sucks and is why I considered firmware/drivers/BIOS may have something) my laptop has been running slower. I don't have access to some programs like Windows Defender command line console, avast! command line console, and for some reason rkill terminates afwserv.exe. This is the first infection I've had in almost a decade and it's driving me nuts. I never looked at processes using Process Explorer so I don't know what's normal, my logon takes forever after typing in my password, BCWipe wasn't able to erase everything so I'm not sure if something remained on another area of the HDD and/or the infection resides in firmware/driver/BIOS as said above.

Wall of text, I know right? TLDR: I have finally acquired a copy of the BIOS that is updated and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything at all about the laptop. What motherboard mfg/ODM? The BIOS has to be locked out to [censored] because there are like 3 options in it and I find it annoying I have to use EasyBCD to use USB devices to boot from, can't disable ATA Erase, can't do anything. Luckily the kind folks at laptopvideo2go mod drivers or I'd be stuck with a video driver from a year ago. Are there a bunch of features locked out of the BIOS or is it simply stripped? I don't know anything about this type of stuff but I glanced at the rom in WinHex.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Aside from this rootkit the laptop has been great.

Attached Files
.rom   07R40020.rom (Size: 2 MB / Downloads: 4)
find
Where did you get this bios rom from because i cant open it in any of my moddingtools.

Please generate a BIOS Backup using this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747181/Universal...Backup.EXE

Thanks
Alex
find
(05-29-2011, 10:30 PM)1234s282 Wrote: Where did you get this bios rom from because i cant open it in any of my moddingtools.

Please generate a BIOS Backup using this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747181/Universal...Backup.EXE

Thanks
Alex

Yea, I am not even 100% on reflashing this. I had a problem with a rootkit and I am 100% certain I still have it somehow, although it isn't working. Yesterday I used a bunch of utilities to find hidden folders and there are a couple that have files in them that are basically trojans. I've ran every malware/AV scan you can think of, I even just received my avast! Rescue CD and the log from the scan for that showed a crap load of (Error 5) Unable to access. I've manually rebuilt the MBR, and after posting this I'm taking out the HDD and I'm going to hot plug it into my desktop and see if that allows BCWipe TotalWipeout to erase every single sector. The BIOS I have I can only view in WinHex. It may be in Chinese for all I know.

It took the seller about two weeks to even get this to me. Here is the backup .bin, but it is the same version (named the same) as what I have currently installed. So I'm not sure if it will help you, but any info you can provide at all will be of great help. All of the stuff I've done to get this laptop clean is insane, and I've spent countless hours. My desktop was no problem at all. The only thing I know is that this is an American Megatrends BIOS, and when in the user interface the only options it has is IDE/AHCI for SATA, Password Protection (not on), and it gives me some system information. That's pretty much it. Even if you can't read this thing, but know of somewhere else I can maybe go to get it check out that would be great. I'm willing to spend a few bucks if necessary to get this resolved. It would be great to just know what motherboard I have if possible, what BIOS version this may have been modified from, and if any features are just locked or not since you can't boot from USB (even with EasyBCD usb boot addin) or see any system information except CPU temp. I also cannot boot into Ubuntu from any flash drives or Linux LiveCD. It's all just weird and annoying.

Thanks so much for the time you've spent so far, I greatly appreciate it!

Attached Files
.rom   AmericanMegatrendsInc.-07R40020.rom (Size: 2 MB / Downloads: 3)
find
(05-30-2011, 07:23 AM)divide_by_z3r0 Wrote: Yea, I am not even 100% on reflashing this. I had a problem with a rootkit and I am 100% certain I still have it somehow, although it isn't working. Yesterday I used a bunch of utilities to find hidden folders and there are a couple that have files in them that are basically trojans. I've ran every malware/AV scan you can think of, I even just received my avast! Rescue CD and the log from the scan for that showed a crap load of (Error 5) Unable to access. I've manually rebuilt the MBR, and after posting this I'm taking out the HDD and I'm going to hot plug it into my desktop and see if that allows BCWipe TotalWipeout to erase every single sector. The BIOS I have I can only view in WinHex. It may be in Chinese for all I know.

It took the seller about two weeks to even get this to me. Here is the backup .bin, but it is the same version (named the same) as what I have currently installed. So I'm not sure if it will help you, but any info you can provide at all will be of great help. All of the stuff I've done to get this laptop clean is insane, and I've spent countless hours. My desktop was no problem at all. The only thing I know is that this is an American Megatrends BIOS, and when in the user interface the only options it has is IDE/AHCI for SATA, Password Protection (not on), and it gives me some system information. That's pretty much it. Even if you can't read this thing, but know of somewhere else I can maybe go to get it check out that would be great. I'm willing to spend a few bucks if necessary to get this resolved. It would be great to just know what motherboard I have if possible, what BIOS version this may have been modified from, and if any features are just locked or not since you can't boot from USB (even with EasyBCD usb boot addin) or see any system information except CPU temp. I also cannot boot into Ubuntu from any flash drives or Linux LiveCD. It's all just weird and annoying.

Thanks so much for the time you've spent so far, I greatly appreciate it!

look for your model here http://www.tongfangpc.com/en/
your BIOS is their production
find
Thanks a ton! I'll take a look around and see if I can find it. It's over a year old so I hope there is info on it.

edit:

http://ant-global.en.alibaba.com/product...D_LED.html

I couldn't find anything that was close to mine at the TongFangPC site, the Chinese version slowly browsed by translating in Chrome, as even the physical appearance of my laptop is almost opposite those I saw. The English version of the site was incomplete and the scroll menus for product selection are blank so it's hard to pick a product.

Here is the user manual if any of you recognize it.
find