Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Crazy tech
Yesterday 09:51 PM
» Replies: 78
» Views: 42814
[Removed, sp52359] HP Touchsmart Tm2t-22...
Last Post: OrionDakota
Yesterday 06:19 PM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 20949
Analyze java class System Identifier cod...
Last Post: Hasan jeet
Yesterday 03:44 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 51
[REQUEST] Lenovo G710 BIOS Whitelist Rem...
Last Post: sscdimon
Yesterday 01:53 PM
» Replies: 471
» Views: 132824
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: cpih
Yesterday 12:03 PM
» Replies: 846
» Views: 328860
Delete Whitelist HP 15s-eq1000
Last Post: gdefareins
Yesterday 09:02 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 166
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y470 & Y570 (47CNxxWW) ...
Last Post: jabbari74
Yesterday 03:37 AM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 18167
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad T420 (83ETxxWW...
Last Post: lucasow
Yesterday 03:02 AM
» Replies: 315
» Views: 194473
[REQUEST] Asus PRIME B460M-A modding bio...
Last Post: hnoimahi
04-27-2024 08:04 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 255
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (62CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: Dudu2002
04-27-2024 05:34 AM
» Replies: 809
» Views: 247086
[REQUEST] Asus maximus X Code "fan profi...
Last Post: appletechgeek
04-27-2024 12:12 AM
» Views: 237
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire S3-391 BIOS Unlock
04-26-2024 04:27 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 25815
[REQUEST] Lenovo V580(c) (H1ETxxWW) Whit...
04-26-2024 04:26 PM
» Replies: 588
» Views: 148344
[REQUEST] GL504GS BIOS unlock
Last Post: pl4gue
04-26-2024 12:19 PM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 59479
[REQUEST] Thinkpad T14S G3 AMD (Type 21C...
04-26-2024 04:37 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 168
[REQUEST] Lenovo B490 (H1ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: sardax
04-25-2024 10:03 PM
» Replies: 101
» Views: 32101
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire E1-571(G) BIOS Unl...
04-25-2024 04:44 PM
» Replies: 127
» Views: 58518
Acer Predator Helios 300 N17C1 G3-572-79...
Last Post: chadreuel
04-25-2024 11:39 AM
» Views: 179
[REQUEST] Acer Nitro 5 AN515-56 BIOS Unl...
04-25-2024 07:25 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 936
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
04-25-2024 03:52 AM
» Replies: 1972
» Views: 666285

Vaio VGN-AR840e - Phoenix R2090J8 - 02/26/2008
HI RICHARD ,

don`t think that i gave up cause i didn`t Big Grin
after searching in alot of bios forums i have found that :-
- flashing a sony vaio is like the russian roulette ..............no key combination works to enable the crisis recover .
- it`s a well known issue that in alot of vaio notebooks the external boot is disabled by default and no one was able to boot from usb and the sony support center didn`t provide any solution for this issue .
- in this pic taken from your original backup , the external boot is disabled by default and my modified bios depends on this backup image .
- i have attached this flash utility ( made specially for vaio notebooks ) to flash from windows

.rar   VAIO FLASH UTILITY.rar (Size: 1.13 MB / Downloads: 41)
don`t rename any file ,,,,,,i have renamed the bios files to flash properly ,,,,,,,,,,,you will just need to click run as administrator on the WBFLASH.exe then follow the instructions to flash the bios ( these bios files are the original one attached with the flash utility )

- if the previous one failed ,,,,,try this one
.rar   ORIGINAL and Flash Utility.rar (Size: 1.39 MB / Downloads: 52)
also just click on the WBFLASH.EXE and follow instructions.

here is an image from the original backup :-
[Image: VAIO.png]

i think flashing from windows is the last choice ,,,,,,,we just need the right flash utility and if the previous tools failed , i will give you another tools but try this first .

- ALSO NOTE THAT USING CRISIS DISK RECOVERY METHOD DIDN`T HAVE ANY RELATION WITH THE EXTERNAL BOOT OPTION OR ANY BOOT ORDER ........... THE CRISIS METHOD FORCE NOTEBOOK TO FLASH FROM USB WHATEVER THE SETTING ARE SELECTED AS IT`S DESIGNED TO FLASH BRICKED BIOSES ...................THE PROBLEM HERE IS THAT NO KEY COMBINATION KNOWN FOR VAIO NOTEBOOKS TO MAKE THE CRISIS RECOVERY WORKS ,,,,,,,,JUST TRY THIS METHOD DROM WINDOWS AND I`M WAITING YOUR REPLY .

also i will be in a vacation from tomorrow and i thaught to fix your problem before traveling Smile so post your reply and i will reply when i have some time or when i`m back again after 4 or 5 days .

Ahmed
ALSO I HAVE CONTACTED KIZWAN AN HE SAID THAT SAMOZEN HAS RECOVERED FROM BADFLASH USING NO COMBINATION KEYS ,,,,,,,,JUST REMOVE HDD , BATTERY ..etc THEN ONLY INSERT THE USB WITH THE CRISIS DISK THEN POWER ON AND IT WOULD FLASH AUTOMATICALLY ...............TRY THIS IF FLASHING FROM WINDOWS FAILED .

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Smile
find
(07-27-2011, 08:38 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: HI RICHARD ,

don`t think that i gave up cause i didn`t Big Grin
after searching in alot of bios forums i have found that :-
- flashing a sony vaio is like the russian roulette ..............no key combination works to enable the crisis recover .
- it`s a well known issue that in alot of vaio notebooks the external boot is disabled by default and no one was able to boot from usb and the sony support center didn`t provide any solution for this issue .
- in this pic taken from your original backup , the external boot is disabled by default and my modified bios depends on this backup image .
- i have attached this flash utility ( made specially for vaio notebooks ) to flash from windows

don`t rename any file ,,,,,,i have renamed the bios files to flash properly ,,,,,,,,,,,you will just need to click run as administrator on the WBFLASH.exe then follow the instructions to flash the bios ( these bios files are the original one attached with the flash utility )

- if the previous one failed ,,,,,try this one
also just click on the WBFLASH.EXE and follow instructions.

here is an image from the original backup :-
[Image: VAIO.png]

AHMED - This IMAGE file explains what I had been trying to explain. Your last MOD on Saturday/Sunday (can't remember now) removed these 3 OPTIONS under ADVANCED. Without them, the computer does not recognize USB while posting before Linux or Windows appears. ADVANCED does contain OPTIONS, but not these 3.

I will try your suggestions, and also, need advice from you or Kizwan on the CD-ROM method. Apparently HIMEM.SYS interferes with PHLASH16.EXE.

(07-27-2011, 08:38 PM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: i think flashing from windows is the last choice ,,,,,,,we just need the right flash utility and if the previous tools failed , i will give you another tools but try this first .

- ALSO NOTE THAT USING CRISIS DISK RECOVERY METHOD DIDN`T HAVE ANY RELATION WITH THE EXTERNAL BOOT OPTION OR ANY BOOT ORDER ........... THE CRISIS METHOD FORCE NOTEBOOK TO FLASH FROM USB WHATEVER THE SETTING ARE SELECTED AS IT`S DESIGNED TO FLASH BRICKED BIOSES ...................THE PROBLEM HERE IS THAT NO KEY COMBINATION KNOWN FOR VAIO NOTEBOOKS TO MAKE THE CRISIS RECOVERY WORKS ,,,,,,,,JUST TRY THIS METHOD DROM WINDOWS AND I`M WAITING YOUR REPLY .

also i will be in a vacation from tomorrow and i thaught to fix your problem before traveling Smile so post your reply and i will reply when i have some time or when i`m back again after 4 or 5 days .

Ahmed
ALSO I HAVE CONTACTED KIZWAN AN HE SAID THAT SAMOZEN HAS RECOVERED FROM BADFLASH USING NO COMBINATION KEYS ,,,,,,,,JUST REMOVE HDD , BATTERY ..etc THEN ONLY INSERT THE USB WITH THE CRISIS DISK THEN POWER ON AND IT WOULD FLASH AUTOMATICALLY ...............TRY THIS IF FLASHING FROM WINDOWS FAILED .

find
Just try flashing from windows and if this failed, use the crisis disk after removing hdd , cdrom , battery .,,,,etc
Its sure one of these two method will flash your bios .

Use crisis disk wothout any key combination

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Smile
find
(07-26-2011, 11:00 PM)nesnfsn Wrote: UPDATE - Opened CD-Rom successfully, with DOS black screen with two (2) bios files and PLASH16.EXE. However, get the following message from dosbootdisk.isp
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2392]

Richard

To prevent this error, run phlash16.exe with /x parameter:-
(/X : Ignore XMS memory manager check.)

Example (these parameters are more than enough for programming BIOS):-
Code:
phlash16.exe /x /s BIOS.WPH
(/S : Silent operation (turn off speaker))

Make sure both battery & AC are plugged in when flashing BIOS (for safety precaution).

If you use my modified BIOS image & you like it, please consider making a donation. Thank you very much. Smile
Donate Here
find
Kizwan:

Battery Pack has to be re-inserted? No problem, just had been running on AC only without Battery Pack inserted into laptop's casing. Will try tonight, unless you advise that I do not need Battery Pack.

BTW - Thank you for the explanation of the flags for PHLASH16 to disable HIMEM.SYS' XMS memory manager checking feature from Phlash. Missed this, as it is within the Autoexec.bat file and did not think of using /X after booting from the CD-Rom disc and typing PHLASH16, followed by the ENTER KEY.

NOTE - I did have to create a larger disk Bootable.img file to hold the dosboot.iso IMG file and PHLASH16, and then create new bootable ISO image to hold the larger ISO file. Existing 1.44M not sufficient to hold the initial files within the Bootable.img file, with the BIOS.WPH (approx. 1M itself). Only approx. 3MB in the new ISO file, with tremendous room still on CD. Wonder if I could store other BIOS related files on CD? Another day, another thought. Will first flash the BIOS with PHLASH16 /x. Play with creating a new CD Rom with other apps and utilities another day.
(07-28-2011, 06:55 AM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: Just try flashing from windows and if this failed, use the crisis disk after removing hdd , cdrom , battery .,,,,etc
Its sure one of these two method will flash your bios .

Use crisis disk wothout any key combination
Will try your suggestions, only if I cannot get the CD-Rom to work with Kizwan's suggestions. Why go to Windows, if DOS might work????? Let you know what happens. Enjoy your vacation my friend.

Richard
find
When flashing BIOS always make sure battery & AC are plugged in to notebook. What happen if suddenly power failure/blackout while flashing BIOS? BIOS will corrupted because flashing did not finish.

/x parameter should work. I always use it. BTW, regarding the ISO, I use UltraISO to add BIOS file in the ISO. I tried on my computer, when boot with CD-ROM drive support, I can change to D: & access the BIOS file. I already mentioned UltraISO in my earlier post though (previous page).

If you use my modified BIOS image & you like it, please consider making a donation. Thank you very much. Smile
Donate Here
find
(07-28-2011, 11:17 AM)kizwan Wrote: BTW, regarding the ISO, I use UltraISO to add BIOS file in the ISO. I tried on my computer, when boot with CD-ROM drive support, I can change to D: & access the BIOS file. I already mentioned UltraISO in my earlier post though (previous page).

Kizwan - From your earlier posting, it is my understanding that I should insert Phlash and the BIOS files into the Bootable IMG file (Bootable_1.44M.IMG) which resides within the [BOOT] directory/folder that is nested within the dosboot.iso. CORRECT?

In my case I had copied over the Wiin98DOS files from the Bootable_1.44M.IMG file, plus Phlash16.EXE and BIOS.WPH into a new IMG file, saved as Bootable_2.88.IMG, created [BOOT] directory/folder, copied the new IMG file into the new [BOOT] directory/folder, and then made a new ISO containing that [BOOT] directory/folder.

Correct procedure/process?
find
Right now, the most important is, you can see the BIOS file when booting with the CD.

(I just want to explain my earlier post.) As you can see the sentence start with "Another alternative is ...". You already did the primary/first solution - copied BIOS file into the ISO. So I didn't mentioned it again in the below post. In the below post, I just explain how to access the CD & the alternative solution. You're using different software which probably yield different result.
(07-26-2011, 09:19 PM)kizwan Wrote: When boot with "Start with CD-Rom Drivers", at the end of the verbose message, it should tell you the drive letter the CD-ROM drive is assigned to. Usually D:

Another alternative is modify the ISO boot file. UltraISO able to dump the boot file from the ISO. You can open the boot file using UltraISO. Put the BIOS image & BIOS flash utility in it. Save the boot file & using UltraISO, load the new boot file to the ISO.

Donate Here
find
(07-28-2011, 12:01 PM)kizwan Wrote: Right now, the most important is, you can see the BIOS file when booting with the CD.

Just got home from work a little while ago, reinserted the CD (with Win98DOS files and my PHLASH and BIOS.WPH files, booted into CD-Rom disc, changed from A: to D:, ran PHLASH16 /x /s BIOS.WPH.
SUCCESS!!!! Thank you Kizwan for getting me over the hump.
THANK YOU AHMED for all of your support, efforts and skills in modding the BIOS.WPH files.

Now, I would love to learn what it is that Ahmed did to achieve my BIOS.WPH file. I have all of the options opened, including his reenabling of the External Device setting so that I can boot from USB Flash drives.

Richard
find
Now that Ahmed and Kizwan have helped me flash my BIOS and unlock all features for this Sony VAIO VGN-AR840eBig Grin, I was wondering whether there Is any way to move this entire thread to the UNLOCKED PHOENIX BIOS forum?Huh

Richard
find