Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.64 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (62CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Today 05:34 AM
» Replies: 809
» Views: 246394
[REQUEST] Samsung NP450R5G unlock hide s...
Last Post: magg
Today 12:53 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 237
[REQUEST] Asus maximus X Code "fan profi...
Last Post: appletechgeek
Today 12:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 78
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire S3-391 BIOS Unlock
Yesterday 04:27 PM
» Replies: 57
» Views: 25483
[REQUEST] Lenovo V580(c) (H1ETxxWW) Whit...
Yesterday 04:26 PM
» Replies: 588
» Views: 147645
[REQUEST] GL504GS BIOS unlock
Last Post: pl4gue
Yesterday 12:19 PM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 59177
[REQUEST] Thinkpad T14S G3 AMD (Type 21C...
Yesterday 04:37 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 99
[REQUEST] Lenovo B490 (H1ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: sardax
04-25-2024 10:03 PM
» Replies: 101
» Views: 31949
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire E1-571(G) BIOS Unl...
04-25-2024 04:44 PM
» Replies: 127
» Views: 58138
Acer Predator Helios 300 N17C1 G3-572-79...
Last Post: chadreuel
04-25-2024 11:39 AM
» Views: 146
[REQUEST] Acer Nitro 5 AN515-56 BIOS Unl...
04-25-2024 07:25 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 901
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
04-25-2024 03:52 AM
» Replies: 1972
» Views: 662791
[Request] Acer Aspire Z1620 (h61h aio v1...
Last Post: spingernexx
04-24-2024 06:09 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 190
[REQUEST] Lenovo G505 (82CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: khaos
04-24-2024 04:15 PM
» Replies: 155
» Views: 55536
Asus Prime b250m plus, RAM compatibility
Last Post: Slayery777
04-24-2024 06:23 AM
» Views: 174
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Request Clevo W230...
Last Post: happycrazyman
04-23-2024 03:53 PM
» Views: 155
Rog Strix B650E-F BIOS File Extraction
Last Post: panmetrix24
04-23-2024 11:25 AM
» Views: 164
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Pipo89
04-23-2024 06:47 AM
» Replies: 236
» Views: 70014
[REQUEST] Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: onetapxdf
04-23-2024 03:37 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1390
[REQUEST] Lenovo G400S (7BCNxxWW) Whitel...
04-23-2024 03:14 AM
» Replies: 203
» Views: 70964

(UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
And well, [censored] that ... SCT 2.0 UEFI Booting any OS = utter crap!

1. No real NVRAM use for OSX, can't multi boot various OSes through means of Startup Volume in OSX, forced to use plist generating script.
2. Need special tweaked .efi driver to emulate variables in RAM ... hence you get the above. The driver occasionally fails to shut down the machine properly.
3. Pressing Fn+F2 in either Windows or OSX to toggle radio interfaces in UEFI mode locks up the machine. Linux doesn't exhibit such behavior.
4. Brightness controls get lost for no reason occasionally, no known way of restoring the functionality other than using a completely stock rom.
5. In Windows installing QuickSet or ST Micro accelerometer driver locks up the machine.
6. Sometimes Windows Boot manager screws up the entire NVRAM while setting itself as a boot option. Which results in non-working F2 and F12 keys.. the only way to revert is to boot Windows and reflash the BIOS with /cvar flag to reset NVRAM.
7. Dell uses outdated version of Phoenix UEFI SHELL Flasher .. like real outdated 1.5.2 while the latest is 1.5.66, no comment here. No way of starting a newer version because it requires Firmware update or crisis recovery boot mode to be initialized and we don't have access to UEFI booting in either of these modes.
8. Dell's outdated Intel VBIOS doesn't support resolutions higher than 1024x768, third party boot loaders look squashed. Implementing newer version results in weird system failures as proven by some 15z users attempting it.
9. If not using a custom VBIOS artefact appear all over the place in OSX, no proven way of getting rid from them...
find
as allways , brillant analysis TW! Smile
thanks so much for the info, you provided, rep added ^^
as for the flasher, I has been adding the 1.5.66 version to the latest mods in the L502X topic for a while with 0 issues.
it seems dell's problem is that they have a very lazy guys, at least in bios/develpment.

I was wondering if it is posible to load external .efi drivers , for example from usb like you did using the efi shell, and then load the OS with the extra external efi drivers, it could be posible to do some OC related tweaks?
we could automate the process by adding the comands to the script file efi shell load at the startup automatically.

since the begining, I allways wanted to get a little more of juice from the cpu, but the machine is locked as heck related to OC >.<

also, clover doenst looks like an option since you have to [censored] the windows installation from mbr to gpt, and probably most users will refuse do do that since there is no posible rollback if something goes wrong.

glad to know the magic cd were usefull for u again Smile

I am thinking of burning another version for me with a modded version instead a old stock version of the bios ^^
find
This wasn't an analysis, more like a mad man's rant.. but all these quirks pissed me off hard. Never again am I buying anything computer-related from this company... well their monitors are quite good actually.

You have been adding a windows flasher that does absolutely nothing but calls for system sleep-resume and state boot mode change to firmware update, then unpacks the capsule and utilizes PFlash.efi packed inside the capsule to actually flash the firmware.. which is OLD and I have no idea how to pack a new one in as it's different structure-wise.

As for adding the .efi modules, yes you can mess with the firmware with FfsDxe.efi that unlocks write access to fw filesystem, but it can be potentially risky. There's a way to convert an MBR installed windows installation to GTP as someone over at @jkbuha's thread over at NBR mentioned, but you can't go back AFAIK.
find
It is possible to convert MBR to GPT and vice versa using PartMagic LiveCD, but it's not an easy process.
Also you don't have to use PFlash.efi and stuff. Make a full BIOS dump so I can write a converter between Dell's dumb BIOS image files (which reminds me the Inception, as I once said on AL) and normal flat BIOS image with all regions at their places. And that image you can flash with FPT (-bios or fully).
find
There's a full dump from @kasar's laptop. http://www.mediafire.com/?33qqq6nxaac3xav
It seems like the algo to transfer data between a blank new rom and a rom on chip is somewhat similar to Asus'. NVRAM variables get merged from both roms, MAC address, express code service tag and other data is carried over and then reflashed onto the chip.

There's a DOS version of PFlash actually, but I never gave it a test.
ftp://ftp.icg.eu/Drivers/Printers/.../Dr...oenix/DOS/

EC part of the firmware is missing though, it's on another chip, but is included in the capsule that DELL provides. It starts at offset 00400000h inside the OEM capsule.
find
(12-30-2012, 01:41 PM)TimeWalker Wrote: EC part of the firmware is missing though, it's on another chip, but is included in the capsule that DELL provides. It starts at offset 00400000h inside the OEM capsule.
That is why they were forced to mess with PFlash.efi, I think.
Can EC firmware be flashed with userspace tools?
find
Not that I know of. EC firmware is 132Kb, the PFlash indeed strips this part of the capsule and flashes to an SPI connected with EC in a subroutine, after flashing the primary chip regions. The W25X40VSIG (or AIG, i'm not entirely sure) chip is not even seen from FPT.
Quote:Platform: Intel® HM67 Express Chipset

— Flash Devices —

W25Q32BV ID:0xEF4016

Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
We don't have a dump of the W25X40 from our machines, but here's one from a Foxconn Z75M desktop board that uses same ITE IT8158E EC controller: http://www.mediafire.com/?992snz85y0i2q96
find
@TW

well, Dell's computers are good, they have good hardware, but their thermal paste is cheap and sucks, their bioses are also, ... basic

however with both hardware and software modding the machines can be wonderfull

I love my machine like it is at the moment, it doesnt matter, if it have a crappy i3 now, it works fine and I have access to all the firmware thanks to the sockets and stuff we unlocked here ^^

@all

yeah, thats the complete backup I made of the bios chip,you can use it for analysis and compare it with other dumps, however it include all my hardware details like mac addreses, and some tag numbers,bios passwords and some stuff, so plz, dont distribute it outside this forums too much,that dump info is the thing wich make my laptop different than others, I think you know what I mean Smile

about the missing EC info, well, there is another 512 Kb chip at my motherboard, I think I already posted the info on previous pages, however installing a socket there could be a little hard.

also if some of the original chip legs broke during the operation I will be unable to make the dump, I also dont have extra 512 kb chips arround. just the extra 4 Mb ones from the other chip, so things will be hard if something goes wrong, also the chip is located near a chip with very thiny legs, and I am not sure if the socket operation would be sucesfully performed without damage the other hardware components with my cheap soldering iron

also, what beneficts would have access or mod the EC firmware?

does it is really important to also make a dump of that chip? or it is ok with the one I already dumped?
find
Sorry for exposing your data .. I guess I should have thought about it in the first place, like I did when you first posted it.. I guess I'm not paying enough attention to details lately.
The chip contents won't be anything different to what Dell is making you flash on there. In other words - the capsule's part with EC firmware will be identical to what's on the chip already, because it's just a basic firmware to drive the EC chip. The firmware gets reflashed during every BIOS upgrade/reflash operation. The problem is that there's are no tools like FPT to flash this chip directly.. only via PFlash. I suppose we need to try the Efildr16 DOS thingy as it doesn't look much different from it's .efi brother, but that's for later...
find
its ok mate, you didnt noticed before ^^

did you shared it on another forums, sites anyway?

lets try keeping it now just inside the team, at least for now Smile

mmm, then I asume there is no need of making hardware mods to the 512 kb chip at least for the moment ^^

about the DOS flashing it is interesting, I want to make a Dos version of the crisis disk, it will be much faster to load and way smaller in size for uploading downloading ^^
find