Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 73
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424324
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3596
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 259
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 191
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 288
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224229
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119153
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 265
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6772
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 383
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309642
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61949
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 604
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20259
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169221
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6313
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 806
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5775
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61168

ACER AAXSKB-VA rev 1.03 (used in Packard Bell w3280 and Gateway ZX4270)
#1
So like a silly little boy I bought myself a second hand machine on eBay, knowing there was some issue with the disk. Can't and shan't blame the seller, he even had pictures of the error message (one of those "Insert proper boot media"). 
When I got it, it was behaving sporadic to say the least, would not accept any boot devices, every fifth or tenth boot, it would eventually find the hard drive and boot windows 10. They system was unstable to say the least. I tried turning of UEFI, and pretty certain it ignored me turning it off. (tried boot USB windows 98 (Hirokie... something rescue cd), Debian USB stick  and boot cd).

I have now figured out that most likely the issue was caused by that Windows 10 install, and some updates to UEFI, not certain why on earth a OS would be allowed to make updates to the UEFI, but I found some bug reports who seemed to indicate that. 

So how did a desperate father building a touch screen machine to teach his two year old daughter about computers, I bricked it. 
In desperation I tried to run the BIOS update program on a unstable Windows 10 install, what can I say, I have huge cohones, and now a bricked BIOS. 

Currently if I start the machine (power button works), I get two beeps after about eight seconds, then nine beeps after about thirty seconds. If I leave it on it will start another beep section than reboot.
I know that CD rom and flash is read just after the two beeps and just before the 9 beeps start.

I know the BIOS is a AMI BIOS. 
I think it is AMI core 8, but that is me guessing.

I know that the BIOS rom files is a .CAM file (not certain what that means) file name P12-A1.CAP
Uses AFIWIN to install.

That is what I know so far. 

I think the BIOS is working (hardware wise), just recon the ROM its trying to run is completely shafted five ways to Sunday.
The two beeps should mean parity error, but as it continues booting after that, I am guessing it is software error. (Ran the RAM through memcheck on other machine).
The nine beeps I think means "ROM BIOS checksum failure.", which would be inline with failed BIOS update I guess.


Thats what I believe

So what have I tried
Reset CMOS on motherboard (jumper ten second to clear), multiple times, including two where I forgot to move them switching it back on.
Remove the CMOS battery, multiple times, up to about an hour or so. Also short circuited it with a screwdriver for 30 seconds. 
Neither of these moves makes any difference as far as I can tell.

Created FAT16 USB with P12-A1.CAP in root
Renamed it to P12-A1.ROM
Renamed it to AMIBOOT.ROM

Burned a CD with AMIBOOT.ROM, no luck. 

Tried rebooting, tested Window+v, tested Ctrl+Esc, tested Ctrl+Home, neither SEEM to make a difference. Problem is I do not know which key combo is suppose to work to force the BIOS to read from USB or CD. 

What would be brand for me (and my two year old daughter) is if anyone could tell us: 

what the key combo or button pressing dance for this model to try to load BIOS from CD or USB?
What the file is suppose to be named, AMIBOOT.ROM or something else.
How do I tell if it is attempting to load the file.

Any other ideas what to try?
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)