Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Today 03:52 AM
» Replies: 1972
» Views: 661201
[Request] Acer Aspire Z1620 (h61h aio v1...
Last Post: spingernexx
Yesterday 06:09 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 115
[REQUEST] Lenovo G505 (82CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: khaos
Yesterday 04:15 PM
» Replies: 155
» Views: 55136
Asus Prime b250m plus, RAM compatibility
Last Post: Slayery777
Yesterday 06:23 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 121
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Request Clevo W230...
Last Post: happycrazyman
04-23-2024 03:53 PM
» Views: 101
Rog Strix B650E-F BIOS File Extraction
Last Post: panmetrix24
04-23-2024 11:25 AM
» Views: 119
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Pipo89
04-23-2024 06:47 AM
» Replies: 236
» Views: 69573
[REQUEST] Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: onetapxdf
04-23-2024 03:37 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1345
[REQUEST] Lenovo G400S (7BCNxxWW) Whitel...
04-23-2024 03:14 AM
» Replies: 203
» Views: 70555
[REQUEST] Lenovo V570(c) (44CNxxWW) BIOS...
Last Post: d3m3n7r
04-22-2024 05:20 PM
» Replies: 18
» Views: 11158
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y520-15IKBN (4KCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: ati90
04-22-2024 05:02 AM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 36996
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: SteamTug
04-22-2024 04:24 AM
» Replies: 1734
» Views: 545523
[REQUEST] Lenovo G410 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
04-22-2024 03:58 AM
» Replies: 53
» Views: 10784
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Last Post: Brutoloco
04-21-2024 08:22 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 555
[REQUEST] LG GRAM 14T990 Unlock request
Last Post: riclausk
04-21-2024 12:15 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 4245
[REQUEST] SLIC 2.1 for ASRock 880GM-LE F...
Last Post: amijim
04-21-2024 10:27 AM
» Views: 132
[REQUEST] Dell Alienware 15 R3 BIOS Unlo...
Last Post: jason.exe
04-21-2024 03:44 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 187
[REQUEST] Samsung NP450R5G unlock hide s...
Last Post: magg
04-21-2024 12:54 AM
» Views: 195
lenovo e595 20nf bios spw unlock
Last Post: vsteez
04-20-2024 07:56 PM
» Views: 184
uefi mod for mac pro 1.1/21. support xeo...
Last Post: victorgbrmrr
04-20-2024 01:17 PM
» Views: 200

ASUS UX501JW notebook bios with SSD NVME support
Hirens boot CD? You don't have an OS installed? If not, install windows 10 (or 8) for now, on the internal drive (the original non-NVME one), then do all this. Or just put back in the original drive if it's not formatted already.

That is only way to do this and know the errors you are seeing are not caused by trying to run all this from hirens or live CD etc.
find
I don't have dvd rom, and sata slot, only one M.2 sata. External usb boot win10 install and running os extarnal, all driver installed, and working well, only management engine install error. I try today win8.1...

Best Regards,
Tamas
find
Can you put back in stock M.2 then?
Win10 should work same as Win8 for this, but you have to pick correct ME drivers from Asus page for either system
Maybe no ME Firmware on the BIOS, but I doubt that since drivers provided on Asus site, maybe it's corrupted possibly
Do you have hardware flash programmer like CH341A + SOIC8 test clip cable?

The problem is I know best/easiest way to flash mod BIOS is using Intel FPT, which we need to know ME version to link you to correct package to use. And for it to work in windows you need ME drivers installed, however it has DOS version which does not require drivers, but you would need to try a few versions in DOS before you found correct one that worked for your system.

You might be able to flash mod BIOS using AFU, but for that there is lots of versions (GUI, CMD Line, DOS x many versions for each) and many methods for those that may or may not work for your BIOS, so it's easier and quicker going the FPT route. Unless you already know method to flash mod BIOS for your exact system model from some other thread?

Please download V8-12 Intel ME system Tools packages from section "C" in this thread, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folders, then inside that DOS folder. Copy each DOS folder to a DOS bootable USB, name each so you know which is which. Then from DOS run the following command from each of the versions folders until you get an output file. Once you do, then remember that version is the one to use to flash back the modified file I will send you.
https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-M...Tools.html

Here is command to run for each version from DOS >> FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin
find
Hi there,

Sorry for jumping into this one-to-one post, but I have a similar issue as sonoboyster.

I've owned for 4 years a Asus Zenbook UX501JW, aka N501JW when it comes to downloading drivers on Asus support site. In my rig I have a 128GB Samsung SM951 SSD (Drive Model:SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-00004) on a M.2 port (system disk), and a 1 TB SATA HDD (storage/backups).

I'd like to upgrade the SSD for a larger and faster modern NVMe SSD. But after reading a lot on this matter, it appears from various forums that NVMe drives are not recognized in this laptop with the latest bios (v 211) provided by Asus in ... 2015. However, the stock SSD is supposed to be NVMe (see https://www.samsung.com/us/labs/pdfs/col...615-v1.pdf). Some suppose the NVMe support is limited to this sole SSD model. All that is highly unclear for me ...

But maybe I can help as my system is up and running with the stock SSD, and so I've been able to follow your instructions :
- the Intel ME Version is 9.0, Build 1482, Hot Fix 30
- so I downloaded Intel ME System Tools v9.1 r7 from the link
- and it seems I did not mess up as I was able to dump the bios with fptw64.exe

The BIOS dump is attached, I hope you can do something with it. And hopefully sonoboyster and I will be able to upgrade our laptops in the end !

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
.bin   biosreg.bin (Size: 6 MB / Downloads: 15)
find
(02-14-2019, 02:09 PM)Gnomuz Wrote: Hi there,

Sorry for jumping into this one-to-one post, but I have a similar issue as sonoboyster.

I've owned for 4 years a Asus Zenbook UX501JW, aka N501JW when it comes to downloading drivers on Asus support site. In my rig I have a 128GB Samsung SM951 SSD (Drive Model:SAMSUNG MZNLF128HCHP-00004) on a M.2 port (system disk), and a 1 TB SATA HDD (storage/backups).

I'd like to upgrade the SSD for a larger and faster modern NVMe SSD. But after reading a lot on this matter, it appears from various forums that NVMe drives are not recognized in this laptop with the latest bios (v 211) provided by Asus in ... 2015. However, the stock SSD is supposed to be NVMe (see https://www.samsung.com/us/labs/pdfs/col...615-v1.pdf). Some suppose the NVMe support is limited to this sole SSD model. All that is highly unclear for me ...

But maybe I can help as my system is up and running with the stock SSD, and so I've been able to follow your instructions :
- the Intel ME Version is 9.0, Build 1482, Hot Fix 30
- so I downloaded Intel ME System Tools v9.1 r7 from the link
- and it seems I did not mess up as I was able to dump the bios with fptw64.exe

The BIOS dump is attached, I hope you can do something with it. And hopefully sonoboyster and I will be able to upgrade our laptops in the end !

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Nice job! Thanks your help! Smile 

Best Regards,
Tamas
find
Thanks Gnomuz - hopefully that info will help sonoboyster get me a dump from his system soon so he can be running NVME too
I do not think the stock disk is NVME, I checked your BIOS and there is not a single mention of NVME in the BIOS, usually if stock disk is NVME or BIOS has any NVME compatibility there would be 2-3 NVME modules and many instances of NVME in a search throughout the BIOS file itself.  Also only mention of Samsung in BIOS is in regards to Memory modules and LCD panels.

Is that the exact SSD in your system, the SM951?  If so, yes, I have no clue how this BIOS can boot from that disk, it should not be possible.

Gnomuz  - here is your modified BIOS region for NVME -
NO ONE else use this file, it is users system specific, if you are not Gnomuz and you use this file you will loose your board serial, UUID, DTS Key, etc
You have been warned

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...2132396320

In order to install an OS to your NVME, you must now follow all steps exactly as mentioned in step #4 of this guide (Make your USB installs source GPT format before putting the install files onto it, RUFUS can do this for you)
https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-H...-BIOS.html

You may be able to use current windows install, but I doubt it due to how this type of BIOS mod is implemented (Into BIOS that's not originally made for NVME).  You could get lucky though and it's fine as is, but don't get your hopes up, be ready for clean install using the method and steps in #4 linked above.

Mod stock BIOS can probably be flashed on this system, using some version of AFU, but I do not know which works and there is many versions with many variants for each version, and some even appear to flash but do nothing really.  So it's hard to know which will work for this system with a  modified stock BIOS, that is why I wanted BIOS region dumps from you, and why these are system specific.  If one of you want to spend time trying to figure out which AFU version works for this system with mod BIOS I can send you all AFU types I have and tell you how to properly check if BIOS flash is happening when shown or not (Flash stock in, then mod, verify if actually mod BIOS afterward or not)
find
Hi Lost_N_BIOS, and thanks for the quick feedback !
Quality of Service in this forum clearly outperforms the support desk of any "premium" brand like Asus  Big Grin

As for the stock SSD, you were right. After further investigations the stock SSD is the CM871 / MZ-NLF1280. It is very likely (can't find any official spec sheet from Samsung) a M.2 /SATA III SSD, which explains how it can be used with the official BIOS without any built-in NVMe support.

Now, of course, I have a  number of noob questions ...

- I've downloaded the biosregm.bin you provided, renamed it the same as the official BIOS from Asus (N501JWAS.211 in my case), and put it on a USB stick. But in EZ Flash the file is not seen as a possible BIOS update. When I put the official BIOS file on the same stick instead, it is seen by EZ Flash as a BIOS file, but of course it refuses to flash it as it is the exact same version as the current one. Obviously EZ Flash is not the way to go with the modded BIOS file. Using your links to win-raid forum, I understand I may use the same fptw64.exe that I used to dump the BIOS, with a syntax like "ftpw64 -bios - rewrite -f <modded bios file name>", but I do need confirmation !

- In case of any issue, shall I be able to "downgrade" to the current official BIOS (v 211) using Easy Flash in BIOS (or any other method) ?

- If I manage to flash the modded BIOS, can I still boot in the current setup on the stock SATA SSD ?

- Finally, as I haven't bought the new M.2 SSD yet, I wonder whether it's really worth going for the NVMe Samsung 970 Evo Plus, considering that the real-life performance compared with a SATA 860 Evo for instance is hardly visible on a system drive according to various reviews. I don't do any task like video editing which would benefit from the sustained read/write speeds of a recent high-end NVMe SSD, whereas the price difference is huge : 264 € vs 142 € currently in France for the 1 TB versions. And I must admit I'm a bit worried by the modded BIOS flashing and OS installation... Using Acronis to clone the stock SSD to the new SATA one would be an easier upgrade path for me... On the other hand, a recent SSD with a higher TBW may also be a better investment for a possible reuse in a future desktop or laptop configuration.

Thanks in advance for your advice and thoughts.
find
Thanks for the comments, always great to hear positive feedback!!
I found this generic info on that model, looks like regular SSD (TLC nand I think, from other pages similar) B Keyed NGFF
https://www.esaitech.com/samsung-mz-nlf1...drive.html

See also, translate from RU - https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/MZ-NLF128...70395.html

SM951 and PM951 are only ones that are NVME I think, at least in this similar OEM range.

You can only flash the file I sent you using Intel FPT, sorry for not explaining this, I assumed you backed up the file with FPT so would know how to reflash it once modified. You can't flash mod BIOS using EZ Flash.

Here's how to flash it using FPT >> FPTw.exe -bios -f filename.bin (Rename back to how I had it, or whatever you want .bin)

You wont' have any issues, this is stock BIOS, only with NVME added, nothing else changed.

Yes, you can still boot into current SSD with this mod. I have not used NVME, so I can't give opinion, but I do see it's a lot faster than normal SSD in benchmarks, that's all I know.

You cannot clone system to new NVMW SSD, you will have to do a clean install, follow all steps as outlined at step #4 in this guide
https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-H...-BIOS.html
find
Thanks for the clarification and quick answer again !

So I tried to flash the modded BIOS and got this error :
"Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space!"

I got the same result in Windows admin command prompt with fptw64.exe and booting from a USB DOS key with fpt.exe. For both attempts I of course used the same version of Intel ME System Tools (v9.1 r7) with which I initially dumped the BIOS.

I understand from other threads it is some kind of BIOS protection which prevents flashing with FPT, and that AFU could be a solution. But I did not find any clear and noob-proof guide to do that !
So I need you again to go further, sorry   Blush

For reference, copy of the result under Windows (same in DOS):
"
D:\BIOStools>fptw64.exe -bios -f biosregm.bin

Intel ® Flash Programming Tool. Version:  9.1.10.1000
Copyright © 2007 - 2014, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel® HM87 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
    W25Q64BV    ID:0xEF4017    Size: 8192KB (65536Kb)

Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space!
"
find
Yes, we may need to find AFU method for your system. I can fix the 280 FPRR (Flash Protected Range Register error), but that's another modified BIOS you need to flash in, or program etc, so it needs to be on your board before it can be disabled, so that wont help.

Here, try this method and version of AFU. Download the tool package here, ignore the rest of the guide, just follow last spoiler/method to reflash.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/592...herboards/

If that does not work, I can send you large package of different AFU/AFUWin/AFUDOS to try.

You might need to purchase CH341A flash programmer + SOIC8 test clip cable.

However, we can try this also first, before using FPT agin or resorting to the above AFU stuff
https://www.win-raid.com/t3908f16-GUIDE-...-BIOS.html
Alt boot to grub when no boot to EFI on exit page - https://www.win-raid.com/t3144f16-Help-n...l#msg58324

Start at step #6, because I will give you variable from 1-5 below,
Your BIOS lock variable to unlock >> 0xAE
Rename .efi file to >> Shellx64.efi

So at grub prompt you will type following >> setup_var 0xAE 0x0

If that fails, you can try running these PRR/PRR2 to remove the protection, these need to be ran from DOS (And the above needs done still also, before this, otherwise you will get error 368)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...6690359132

For this, put all files in FPT DOS folder onto root of your USB bootable DOS stick, both prr/prr2 on root, and a copy of the mod BIOS.
Run prr, if it fails/does not give you success message, run prr2 >>
Then if success run FPT to flash mod BIOS using >> FPT.exe -bios -f filename.bin (Rename bios to whatever you want .bin, use that file name here)
find