Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14000
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 107
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424467
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3620
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 285
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 206
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 307
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224539
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119172
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 274
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6789
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 408
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309727
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61965
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 624
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20279
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169323
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6352
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 827
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5797

Acer Travelmate 7720G and VGA upgrade
#1
Hi to all, first my best compiments for this forum! My apologizes in advance if this is not the right section Blush

Then, I have the laptop in title, that originally comes with ATI VGA.

Now I discovered that any VGA upgrade, swapping to nVidia, is not supported.
A VGA upgrade is allowed just between ATI cards

So, now I'm feeling like there is some kind of hidden limitation in the motherboard's BIOS, and I was looking for something to have a confirmation nor a BIOS mod that supersede the original one (v.1.35), voiding that kind of limitation, letting me, finally, to install a nVidia VGA card.

I already try with a 9650GT MXM II, 1Gb GDDR, but I get just one long beep and two short, at the power up, so you know better than me what that mean.

My idea, right now, is to try a BIOS update but with an ACER Travelmate 7730 version, that is selled with nVidia cards, but I have fear to get my laptop definitly not working. Just you can give me a shot on the head for that or just a confirmation, if, instead, there is a better solution (like a BIOS mod), I'm here just to learn by you

Many tks in advance Rolleyes
find
#2
Even though its not nvidia , you can buy an ATI 4570 or 4650 from http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/7720G.html

We could try taking the Nvidia VGA part of the Travelmate 7730 bios and using it to replace the ATI VGA part of the Travelmate 7720G bios but this will be quite risky!

Basically i think the reason that nvidia cards wont work by default is of course because if the machine came with ATI , then its VGA bios component in the official bios will be ATI , not Nvidia.

I also am having some trouble grabbing the rom image out of the latest version of your bios v1.35 , please can you download it from acers site , run the .exe and check your temp folder for the extracted rom file (Start , run , %TEMP%) , look for the most recent folder created.

Admin
find
#3
Hi and tks for the answer.

Unfortunately I got ATI one time on my desktop and I promise to myself to get it NEVER anymore.
With this laptop, instead, I'm getting problems since I bought it, even with the drivers. So if I have to spend money, for any VGA, it will be for nVidia only for the rest of my life.

I don't want to give one cent to ATI anymore

The BIOS file downloaded from Acer is a zip file that contains all necessary but separated, it is not like other vendors that include everything in a exe file, just discovered right now.

For your convenience I upload the ROM file, if you need any more files please let me know, the other files in the zip folder are:

- ACERACDC.exe
- CLB.135.bat
- CLB-135.WPH
- HFB135US.bld
- Phlash16.exe
- And, for last, a folder named Winflash32

Tks in advance


Attached Files
.rom   CLB-135.ROM (Size: 1 MB / Downloads: 56)
find
#4
This is one of the main reasons I want to swap to nvidia, that's now happen as soon as you push the button to switch on the laptop.

I strongly hope it is a VGA problem and not a motherboard...



Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
find
#5
I discovered that I downloaded the BIOS from an old Acer Assistance web site, that's the reason why I found easly the ROM file.

Now I tried to open the ROM with the Phoenix BIOS Editor 2.2, but, sincerely, I was wondering somthing understandable. Over there everything is frustrasting a newbie like me Sad
find
#6
Ok, tks for your help.

I bought another laptop with nVidia inside, that's easier than anything else.

You can close this topic.
find


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)