Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6403
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14038
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 138
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424551
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3654
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 323
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 342
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224788
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119206
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 299
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6815
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 437
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309813
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62001
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 655
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20314
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169429
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6386
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 860

CQ56-101EK USB Flash Update
#1
Hey BIOS Modders, sup?


I just vvent through this site and I really love vvhat you guys are doing!  Heart

I vvas stuck trying to update BIOS for the entire last vveek, and this may be the best place for me to find a solution. I already posted in HP Support french forum (motherlanguage), but french community kinda sucks. VVell I'm not here to spit on french people, but there is so much less stuff in french than in english (for IT at least). So english lovers here vve go: first, my laptop is a CQ56-101EK (XR437EA is my MotherBoard - Intel manufacturer - I guess).


I vvould like to update my BIOS to this one : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52622.html. This is the latest version possible for this kind of notebook (I checked HP support first, of course). My BIOS is sitting in F.04 Rev A, and the sp52622 is supposed to update it to F.15. The problem is that it only supports VVindovvs 7, and that Ubuntu is on the HDD, not vvindovvs. So I thought, no problem, this is gonna be easy, I'm just gonna flash the bios before boot, vvith USB stick, right? lol  Tongue

This is an InsydeFlash BIOS. I tested different vvays to update it but I need some enlightenment of yours, if possible.

After extracting the main SP52622.exe I found the .BIN file, vvhich is 2241ko sized. I read on some site that the file must be exactly 2048ko (2mo), othervvise it is enciphered. So I decrypted it follovving some tutorial on the vveb. I novv have a 2mo round file (.BIN), and a 256o file (.SIG - the RSA signature I guess, am I correct?)

I can't remember all the vvays I tried but I guess I mixed a bit all the infos I vvas grabbing around and tried several methods, maybe not perfectly.
I created a bootable USB stick, using RUFUS, or HP USB DOS DRIVE, depending on my trials. MS-Dos based, sometimes I tried FreeDos, I copied the .BIN file (and others, on some tests) in the root directory then tried to boot on it. Here again, I tried several vvays, I sometimes managed to get a prompt and tried to execute any exe that vvas included in the sp52622 but no one is executable under DOS. I tried to hold VVin + B vvhen turning the laptop ON, and some other crazy tests that my mind get soooo fucked last vveek.

After reading stuff on this site I think I miss the flashing tool, and I don't [censored] knovv vvhere I could get it. I'm novv looking for this tool, that should be related to my MotherBoard, and should be some executable or some batch file. This tool vvould allovv me to flash the current BIOS to the upgraded one, once I get to the USB boot DOS prompt. Right? But I'm bugging here. I desperately need your help!

There is no option in the current BIOS to update to a nevv one. Only "normal" solution is a one click and install VVindovvs crap packaging. So you knovv it and don't ask me about it  Big Grin

Also I vvanted to ask, if the HDD isn't plugged, is it a problem to flash BIOS on USB stick boot? Let me reformulate the question: does the computer needs the HDD in any vvay vvhile flashing the BIOS from USB boot? I guess no but vvant to read your no  Smile

And last question, I read that if the usb stick is too big in size it may not be able to vvork to flash bios on some config.



I hope someone vvill help me, I knovv you got the skills for, I must be missing something! I knovv this isn't a mod request, but if I can update BIOS to F.15 I'll then be really interested into modding da thing. But one step at a time, heh!

VVhatever happens in the future, I vvanted to thank all of you that are helping people on this site, and thank you for reading me.

Oh, and don't ask, my VV is broken. And it hurts eyes, yeah!  Tongue
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)