Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6369
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14010
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 112
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424499
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3626
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 295
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 212
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 315
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224630
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119179
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 278
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6793
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 418
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309748
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61975
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 630
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20286
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169379
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6357
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 833

HP Pavilion a6242n - MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)
#1
First post...background, I am a Mac person and happened to found the above computer next to the trash dumpster. So, I took it home, and it worked...then, I decided to turn it into a PFSense machine. I bought 8GB of Crucial RAM (800 MHz) and an i350...feeling gung-ho.  Then came the sadness...the PC environment is not plug and play as Macs do...on top of that, the only PCIe✕16 slot won't accept the intel - i350 NIC and it won't boot (PFSense 2.3) when the NIC installed. If I remove the Intel - i350, the computer boots. Searching the web for a solution led me to here...(https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-H...ng-Options).

So, having found here, I decided why not really mod this puppy...so, I bought the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor 89W  (on its way from China...should arrive by Thanksgiving) and a 16GB SSD to use that for the OS and the current onboard HD for data logging storage.

Question...will the BIOS upgrade to v.5.27 from V.5.18 unlock the PCIe✕16 slot, which it seems is for only graphics currently? I could not find confirmation on AES - NI support. The best deal is to use that PCIe✕16 for the NIC and disable the onboard one.
find
quote
#2
Well, I bought this NIC - Dual Port PCI-E Intel 82575 Gigabit PCIe Ethernet Server Adapter Network Card 1x, just in case after flashing the BIOS with v.5.27 has no effect on enabling the PCLe✕16 slot with non-graphic card. It's coming from Hong Kong in a couple days. I shall attempt to flash the BIOS later.
find
quote
#3
This BIOS flashing not going so well...every time I try to format with the HP USB disk format tool I get the device is "write protected" despite it not been so or when it does format the device, there is NOTHING on the device after taking while to format. I am using Windows 7 professional.

Wish I could use a Mac! Any suggestions for a MAC user? Is theWIZ in the house?
find
quote
#4
Well, I could not get the bootable USB to create in Windows...ended up with just an empty disk. So, I tried making the DOS bootable USB on a Mac using VirtualBox and FreeDOS...all went well; however, when I ran the command:

awdflash M613Z_19.BIN /py /sn /cc / cd /cp /wb /r

I get this...see image attached...seems it might not like GUID partition or what? Not sure what it trying to say...it's definitely upset about something...as it needs a MAC address...any ideas?


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
find
quote
#5
(11-13-2017, 01:03 AM)Nollipfsense Wrote: Well, I could not get the bootable USB to create in Windows...ended up with just an empty disk. So, I tried making the DOS bootable USB on a Mac using VirtualBox and FreeDOS...all went well; however, when I ran the command:

awdflash M613Z_19.BIN /py /sn /cc / cd /cp /wb /r

I get this...see image attached...seems it might not like GUID partition or what? Not sure what it trying to say...it's definitely upset about something...as it needs a MAC address...any ideas?

Okay, I figured out what was the problem...they're no space in the command...got it flashed...now can't enter BIOS F1 nor ESC does nothing...text appears on screen, then the fan at FULL speed. What to do now?
find
quote
#6
(11-13-2017, 01:40 AM)Nollipfsense Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 01:03 AM)Nollipfsense Wrote: Well, I could not get the bootable USB to create in Windows...ended up with just an empty disk. So, I tried making the DOS bootable USB on a Mac using VirtualBox and FreeDOS...all went well; however, when I ran the command:

awdflash M613Z_19.BIN /py /sn /cc / cd /cp /wb /r

I get this...see image attached...seems it might not like GUID partition or what? Not sure what it trying to say...it's definitely upset about something...as it needs a MAC address...any ideas?

Okay, I figured out what was the problem...they're no space in the command...got it flashed...now can't enter BIOS F1 nor ESC does nothing...text appears on screen, then the fan at FULL speed. What to do now?

Well, I should have seen that the DELETE key gets one into the BIOS Big Grin  I entered, made the recommended adjustments, FAN now quiet...trying to figure out how to enable the PCIe✕16 slot...onboard graphics set to auto and always so far.
find
quote
#7
(11-13-2017, 02:26 AM)Nollipfsense Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 01:40 AM)Nollipfsense Wrote:
(11-13-2017, 01:03 AM)Nollipfsense Wrote: Well, I could not get the bootable USB to create in Windows...ended up with just an empty disk. So, I tried making the DOS bootable USB on a Mac using VirtualBox and FreeDOS...all went well; however, when I ran the command:

awdflash M613Z_19.BIN /py /sn /cc / cd /cp /wb /r

I get this...see image attached...seems it might not like GUID partition or what? Not sure what it trying to say...it's definitely upset about something...as it needs a MAC address...any ideas?

Okay, I figured out what was the problem...they're no space in the command...got it flashed...now can't enter BIOS F1 nor ESC does nothing...text appears on screen, then the fan at FULL speed. What to do now?

Well, I should have seen that the DELETE key gets one into the BIOS Big Grin  I entered, made the recommended adjustments, FAN now quiet...trying to figure out how to enable the PCIe✕16 slot...onboard graphics set to auto and always so far.

Doesn't seems that the PCIe✕16 slot cannot be used for anything other than a graphic card...when I add it,  the BIOS setting back to the state when first flashed (like loud fan). Still, it would be nice to hear from the forum expert on whether there's a way to enable the PCIe✕16 slot for a NIC (Intel - i350).
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)