Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: ggxgtusr
Today 12:31 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 3511
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 192
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 155
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223502
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119076
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 228
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6725
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 338
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309424
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61888
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 553
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20201
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169100
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6246
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 752
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5725
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61084
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274920
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 870

Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 10GS - Kaby Lake Support Request
#1
I found a Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 10GS (Small/SFF Model) at the thrift store the other day, and it appears to be in perfect working order. It's currently running with an i3-6100, but spec sheets say this model can be configured with up to an i7-6700. My goal is to turn this thing into an entry level gaming machine on a budget, and so getting a feel for what the BIOS and whitelist will and won't let me do is naturally important. I have an i5-7500 at home, so Kaby Lake support would be both convenient for me and beneficial for future upgrade paths.

I've found a few threads about people looking to do the same, but can't seem to find anything conclusive on whether or not it actually worked. Furthermore, Lenovo is apparently still updating the BIOS on this machine. Here is a link to the most recent BIOS update, which came out this past January. I've reached out to Lenovo asking if the system has Kaby Lake support, but they said there was no word on adding support...frustrating. 

Meanwhile, I've successfully upgraded the system from Windows 7 to Window 10 with no issue, and have successfully updated the BIOS to the aforementioned January revision. Interestingly, the Lenovo BIOS update tool asked me if I wanted to modify the serial or model number before I started the update process...figured I'd mention that in case doing so would be beneficial in replacing it with a different BIOS entirely. Additionally, I found an update in the chipset category of the support page that seems to be a firmware update tool that involves Kaby Lake. I'm not sure how it's related, but figured it was worth mentioning.

As for a potential donor BIOS, I found that the ThinkCentre M710 and the ThinkCentre M710e both support Kaby Lake CPUs. There are some significant differences between the models though...the biggest of which being the fact that both of the newer models use the B250 chipset, while the M700 uses H110. If nothing else, I imagine that this difference would keep me stuck at DDR4-2133 even with a 7th gen CPU. Let me know if you think there may be additional roadblocks. Regardless, here is a link to the M710 BIOS. 

Finally, I am hoping someone can tell me whether or not there is a whitelist for GPUs and wifi cards. The former is obviously most important for a gaming machine; I was hoping to put a Low Profile GPU in here like an MSI GTX 1650 (Or something less expensive but same form factor), but if there's a whitelist can't be circumvented, then this whole project is a bust. Regarding the wifi card, I happen to have a spare intel 3168 M.2 card, but I know the 3165 and 8260 models listed on the spec sheet are readily available, so that's not as big of a deal. But if you happen to be in the areas, I'd love to know what the deal is there.

Ok I think that's everything. Thank you in advance for the assistance, and please let me know if there's anything else I need to provide.
find
quote
#2
Post screenshots of first (CPU) & third (Mainboard) tabs of CPU-Z with supported CPU.
Show a photo of current motherboard.
find
quote
#3
(02-26-2020, 12:35 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: Post screenshots of first (CPU) & third (Mainboard) tabs of CPU-Z with supported CPU.
Show a photo of current motherboard.

Will do this as soon as I get home from work tonight! Thank you!
find
quote
#4
(02-26-2020, 12:35 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: Post screenshots of first (CPU) & third (Mainboard) tabs of CPU-Z with supported CPU.
Show a photo of current motherboard.

Here's a link to the photos you requested. Let me know if you need anything else! Interestingly, the BIOS version doesn't appear to match the version on the website...though when I redownload it and try to reinstall, it says its the same. Sidenote, I was saddened to see that there's no M.2 wifi slot on this board, despite there appearing to be leads for it near the second PCIe slot. Oh well, there will still be a PCIe slot leftover for that.

Thank in advance!
find
quote
#5
Have you a hardware programmer?
find
quote
#6
(02-27-2020, 12:43 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Have you a hardware programmer?

I don't know what that is in this context, so I'm going to guess the answer is no.  Sad

EDIT: Did some googling...I definitely don't have one. Guessing it's necessary for this mod? Sounds like updating this system is more complicated than usual, huh? At this point, I'm not even sure if its worth either of our effort. The only deciding factor left would be to figure out whether or not there is a GPU whitelist. If it's already restricting GPUs and cannot be easily stopped from doing so, then I'll probably just sell this machine as is and use the money to buy something much easier to work with. That said, if it is worth the effort I'm not opposed to buying and learning how to use one of these BIOS programmers, especially if it could help me in the future. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
find
quote
#7
I can't help you without a hardware programmer.
P.S. Whitelist removal is offtopic in this section.
find
quote
#8
(02-27-2020, 11:06 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: I can't help you without a hardware programmer.
P.S. Whitelist removal is offtopic in this section.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll head over to the whitelist section to see what I can learn. Is there a hardware programmer you recommend?
find
quote
#9
(02-27-2020, 11:47 AM)kazoodac Wrote: Is there a hardware programmer you recommend?
Anyone you can use.
find
quote
#10
I have a hardware programmer.  Is this mod possible? To add support for kaby lake CPU.

https://easyupload.io/kf715z backup of my bios. Also attached to this post.

CPU+mb info
https://ibb.co/MnJqz4H

[Image: IMG-20241126-110124.jpg]

Lenovo BIOS for this PC. I have 10GT variant.
Flash BIOS update - (Intel H110 Skylake-S) ThinkCentre M700 (type 10GQ, 10GR, 10GS, 10GT, 10KL, 10KM, 10KN, 10KQ) - Lenovo Support GB


Attached Files
.bin   LenovoM700_SFF_H110_BIOS_backup.bin (Size: 8 MB / Downloads: 4)
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)