Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Yesterday 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6438
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Yesterday 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14069
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 147
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424633
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3669
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 340
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 239
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 362
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1225110
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119236
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 309
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6832
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 456
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309899
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62024
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 675
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20335
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169490
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6417
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 879

MSI Z170M UEFI BIOS password problem
#1
Hi,

I have the MSI Z170M board. Some years ago I must have set the BIOS password (how daft was I? I vaguely remember thinking, I'll never remember that, and also that when I tried to take it back to no password it wouldn't let me).

After a hard drive failure 2 weeks ago, part of my setting up with the new one involved clearing CMOS via battery removal as it wouldn't see the new drive when I used my USB Windows install stick.

As I use 3 monitors it's evidently set the switch on BIOS that allows both on board and external GFX back to just one or the other and so only 2 work now - this is my problem as I can't find any Windows based util to set that. I think it's only controlled at BIOS level.

MSI China referred me to MSI Europe who have been less than helpful and only seem to parrot replies about RMA for faulty boards. It's not faulty as far as I can see, it all looks good to me, I just need to access BIOS again.

As for resetting methods, I've tried JBAT1 jumper overnight with power and CMOS battery removed (little blue LED comes on and then fades about half a minute later). After 10hours the BIOS resets but the password persists, same as if I just remove the battery for a while and press the CMOS reset button on the back panel on the box.

When booting up, both DEL for BIOS and F11 for boot options both require the password if that helps at all. That aside, it all boots into Windows normally and is fine.

Any idea how to clear the password? I'm really stuck. Happy to flash using a bootable USB (I've got access to Windows, I'm typing on the machine now), or do anything to get back in.

I can also post up my receipt for purchase in case proof of ownership is needed - it's my board, it's been great up til now, I started playing with OC's lately too but now am totally stuck and would prefer not to be buying a new board and going through my installs all over again so soon!


Thanks

Joe
find
quote
#2
Make current dump of BIOS by Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0.
find
quote
#3
Hi,

Thanks for replying. Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit 2.0 could not see the BIOS (screenshots attached).

I went onto MajorGeeks and found some other tools.

CMOS De-Animator v3 did say it saw the BIOS but corrupting the checksum didn't clear the password.

Do you have any other ideas on what to do next?

Thanks a million for helping, I really appreciate it.


Joe


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
find
quote
#4
Try custom sizes. E.g. 16 MB.
find
quote
#5
(02-12-2020, 05:14 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Try custom sizes. E.g. 16 MB.

Hi,

16MB worked! I had to zip it to upload here and have attached it along with a screenshot of what it looked like after reading.

Does it make any sense to you?

Thanks



Joe


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   

.zip   BIOS Toolkit Backup.zip (Size: 5.54 MB / Downloads: 3)
find
quote
#6
Show a photo of the screen with password request.
find
quote
#7
Hi,

Here are two screenshots. First is the Press DEL / Press F11 one and the second is the password request when either DEL or F11 are pressed.

Thanks


Joe


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
find
quote
#8
Sorry, I can't decode the password from this BIOS.
find
quote
#9
Hi,

Thanks for trying. Do you have any other ideas for getting round it? My main goal is to change the setting that allows the use of on-board and PCI graphics adapters at the same time.

I don't know if that can be toggled somehow.

Alternatively if there is a way to remove the password through blanking it/corrupting it/installing a new BIOS over the top.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help!


Joe
find
quote
#10
Flash official BIOS by hardware programmer.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)